Help - Bought a GPS, maps are too big?

I bought a Garmin Etrex Venture HC because it was the only one in my price range, then I had to buy maps for it because it didn't come with local city and town streets loaded on it. I want to Geocache but it was really hard when you can't see anything on your map but empty space. So I bought the City Navigator North America 2010 and I can't load a single map region on. They are all too big. Why would Garmin release maps that don't work on their unit? Did I download the wrong one? Or am I missing something? Is there any GPS out there in the same price range, maybe a little better? I"m s new at this.

I bought a Garmin Etrex Venture HC because it was the only one in my price range, then I had to buy maps for it because it didn't come with local city and town streets loaded on it. I want to Geocache but it was really hard when you can't see anything on your map but empty space. So I bought the City Navigator North America 2010 and I can't load a single map region on. They are all too big. Why would Garmin release maps that don't work on their unit? Did I download the wrong one? Or am I missing something? Is there any GPS out there in the same price range, maybe a little better? I"m s new at this.

Yes, your missing the memory to load maps. Your particular unit only has 24 MB of internal memory and can not accept micro SD cards. Therefore you can only load a limited amount of maps. Your going to have to spend more money on a Legend or other unit that can use a SD card for map storage.

Is there any GPS out there in the same price range, maybe a little better?
Consider a Nuvi, for ~$100 you can get Nuvi 205 or 205W with all the US street maps preloaded + ~800MB of free memory. Then Google for a macro which has paperless GC. Theirs a long thread on this forum, but now locked, lots of info. You'll need a little Geek in you for this option.

Disadvantages to the Nuvi:

• Poor battery life, 2-5 hrs depending on backlight
  • Poor sunlight readability
  • Not waterproof
  • Batteries not replaceable

As jholly said, look for a eTrex with an microSD card, they all have an "x" in the model name and cost a lot more. Welcome to the world of Garmin. ;)

I used an eTrex Venture HC for my first year of geocaching. It was good enough for geocaching. I loaded some free street maps onto it, but I've only used them a couple of times. I find the screen too small to be useful.

Since switching to the Oregon I've used the map screen a lot more.

City Navigator is a waste on the Venture HC, since it cannot auto-route.

MtnHermit's recommendation is a good one. My combo was a Nuvi to get me near the cache, then the Venture HC to get me to it. I still use the Nuvi now with the Oregon.

Is there any GPS out there in the same price range, maybe a little better?
Consider a Nuvi, for ~$100 you can get Nuvi 205 or 205W with all the US street maps preloaded + ~800MB of free memory. Then Google for a macro which has paperless GC. Theirs a long thread on this forum, but now locked, lots of info. You'll need a little Geek in you for this option.

Disadvantages to the Nuvi:

• Poor battery life, 2-5 hrs depending on backlight
  • Poor sunlight readability
  • Not waterproof
  • Batteries not replaceable

As jholly said, look for a eTrex with an microSD card, they all have an "x" in the model name and cost a lot more. Welcome to the world of Garmin. :)

Are you sure the nuvi is a good bet? It's a car GPS, so accuracy doesn't matter much for it, so it doesn't have a good GPS. It's amazing for navigation, but for caching?

Are you sure the nuvi is a good bet? It's a car GPS, so accuracy doesn't matter much for it, so it doesn't have a good GPS. It's amazing for navigation, but for caching?

Nuvis are very accurate. May or may not be the "best" unit for caching for other reasons, but definitely will work. And accuracy will not be an issue.

Nuvis are very accurate. May or may not be the "best" unit for caching for other reasons, but definitely will work. And accuracy will not be an issue.

Agree. Using the satellite screen to navigate to the cache is the most accurate, but is a pain to use. In its default setting, it "snaps to road" and is pretty useless for getting to a geocache. Pedestrian mode works, sort of, but only gets you to the general area.

The main problem is that the Venture HC is an older gps, and City Navigator is much too detailed to use on the HC.

I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago - I bought an old Legend C and tried to load some of my recent Topo Canada V4 and none of it would load because the detail was too much for the C. So I dragged out and old version of the Canada Enhanced Basemaps, and Canada Roads and Recreation and they fit very nicely on the C.

So you're probably better off getting free maps as some have suggested, or trying to find an older map product of the country you're in. Maybe through eBay?

Agree. Using the satellite screen to navigate to the cache is the most accurate, but is a pain to use.

Huh? How do you use the satelite screen to navigate? You must mean the map screen?

The satellite page shows the lat. and lon. You move around until you match up the lat. and lon. with the listed co-ordinates of the cache.

Well, my 2 cents worth is to use a nuvi or other car nav system to get you as close as you can drive, then switch to your GPSr to go to the cache. This really works great for me. My Nuvi 770 gets me very close and my 76Cx goes right to the cache. I am going to get an Oregon 400c or similar for paperless, but I will still use the Nuvi to get me close. In a place like San Antonio you can use all the "turn by turn" you can get.