Oregon 400T or Dakota20

that is a simple question what is the best and why ?

M.TEX

It's not a simple question at all, which is why Garmin produces different units. It depends upon which features you find most important. Which is best? The Ford Echo or the Ford F150 truck? A simple question?

With the 400T, you pay extra for maps you can get for free. The 400T doesn't have the 3-axis compass. The Dakota 20 doesn't do Wherigo caches. The Dakota has an easier screen to read in sunlight. The Oregon has a slightly taller screen.

To be fair, the comparison should probably be between the 450 and the Dakota 20. The differences are somewhat less.

Edited by ecanderson

To be fair, the comparison should probably be between the 450 and the Dakota 20. The differences are somewhat less.

My wife likes the Dakotas because they are small. I prefer the Oregons (300,400t) because the resolution is better. I think the Dakotas have a grainy screen. Although, they are a little brighter than the 200's, 300's and 400's in direct sunlight. That said, I prefer the Oregon 450 because it is much brighter than the old Oregons. But, I would buy a Dakota 20 if the price were right. Someone on the forums recently said that the Dakota 20 was about to be lowered to $199 at REI. I haven't verified that price. But, it is worth checking out because an Oregon 450 would be about $100 more after the Garmin $50 rebate.

Ok I start to get it...

But the Garmin series Colorado , Dakota , and Oregon what would be the best for Caching ?

Btw ( I do not want to pay for Maps if I can get them free somewhere...)

3 axis ? sure must be better right? I do not use Compass...I use most the Map to locate the cache with

my Gps 60cs ( got used and it's doing very good ) I just want to move up for a better GPS

Also how is the Antena problem with this guys ?? what unit model / series have the best reception

under thick cover ?

It was going to be just asimple question.....

M.TEX

Ok I start to get it...

But the Garmin series Colorado , Dakota , and Oregon what would be the best for Caching ?

Btw ( I do not want to pay for Maps if I can get them free somewhere...)

3 axis ? sure must be better right? I do not use Compass...I use most the Map to locate the cache with

my Gps 60cs ( got used and it's doing very good ) I just want to move up for a better GPS

Also how is the Antena problem with this guys ?? what unit model / series have the best reception

under thick cover ?

It was going to be just asimple question.....

M.TEX

The Colorodo, Dakota, and Oregon series have paperless geocaching capabilities. The Dakota and Oregon are touch screen units. All three have excellent reception under tree cover. The majority of people out there will prefer the Oregon and Dakota units.