Delorme PN=40 battery packs you HAVE to read this

If you have any of the Delorme PN series, and are tired of carrying lots of spare batteries. Have I got the answer for you. I was really getting tired of going through battery after battery so I decided to check into Delormes rechargable battery pack. I weighed the cost of the pack to the cost of a crap load of AA's not to mention having the AA's all over my pack. At that point Delprmes batt was a no brainer. After going to Delormes website to get the specs on the pack I put that info into search on ebay. My search brought up something rather interesting. I was able to find 2 CR-V3 packs with 2000mah as opposed to the 1300mah packs from Delorme, and a charger (car, and wall) for around $25.00 Make sure you get the 2000mah batteries, as they hold more charge. That number has nothing to do with the voltage so don't fear getting them. I can also order individual pack for around $8 each now that I have a charger.

I decided to give them a shot, and am I glad I did. I now have 2 battery packs that last around 5 hours each continuous run. I have NEVER even come close to running out of charge. I thoruoghly recommend these to every PN series owner. The fact that I have 1 extra battery in my pack instead of 20AA's is worth the money alone.

When you search them on ebay, type in CR-V3 rechargable, and bid away.

I just wanted everyone to have this info, so their caching time is not wasted changing batteries.

They've got one of those standard disclaimers stating that the use of non-Delorme approved batteries may void the warranty--for those unlikely situations where someone might insert a defective third-party battery. That much seems fair to me--they should back up their product but if someone used a non-proprietary item that was the cause of the damage, I wouldn't think the GPS manufacturer should be liable for the damage.

The way this seems to play out, aftermarket r-CR-V3 battery packs usually seem to work ok in the PNs. There are some that don't work (a little too big to fit in, or just don't work reliably) but these seem few and far between. Furthermore, if they didn't work, it didn't seem to be a matter of damaging the GPS...they just didn't function acceptably. I want to emphasize that I'm not expressing any official DeLorme policy, but rather am just reflecting what I perceive as having played out over time. I've been hanging out on the DeLorme board since the PN-20 came out something like 4 or 5 years ago, and I don't recall ever seeing any issues about a non-standard rCRV3 causing damage to a PN device.

I have personally used the Delkin rCRV3 successfully, and of course the great rCRV3 made on the kitchen table by DeLorme user Cabornay. He has talked about doing another run through his eBay store, so if you ever hear of some of his being available I heartily recommend getting one or two. I *think* I heard that the Lenma rCRV3 does *not* work.

I agree with the OP's valuation of rechargeable lithiums in the PNs. I'm a little perplexed by the report of 5 hours run time out of 2000 mAh batteries. IIRC I got 8 hours or so out of my official DeLorme battery, which was supposedly a 1300 mAh battery. I know my observed run times tended to be at the upper end of the range reported by others, and some people did get run times more like 5 hours. But it would seem that something with 50% more capacity than mine ought to be better than 5 hours. Odd.

I get upwards of 12-14 hours in a PN-40 with my Cab-bat, but I don't recall the mAh rating. I know he was striving for as much as he could get.

They've got one of those standard disclaimers stating that the use of non-Delorme approved batteries may void the warranty--for those unlikely situations where someone might insert a defective third-party battery. That much seems fair to me--they should back up their product but if someone used a non-proprietary item that was the cause of the damage, I wouldn't think the GPS manufacturer should be liable for the damage.

The way this seems to play out, aftermarket r-CR-V3 battery packs usually seem to work ok in the PNs. There are some that don't work (a little too big to fit in, or just don't work reliably) but these seem few and far between. Furthermore, if they didn't work, it didn't seem to be a matter of damaging the GPS...they just didn't function acceptably. I want to emphasize that I'm not expressing any official DeLorme policy, but rather am just reflecting what I perceive as having played out over time. I've been hanging out on the DeLorme board since the PN-20 came out something like 4 or 5 years ago, and I don't recall ever seeing any issues about a non-standard rCRV3 causing damage to a PN device.

I have personally used the Delkin rCRV3 successfully, and of course the great rCRV3 made on the kitchen table by DeLorme user Cabornay. He has talked about doing another run through his eBay store, so if you ever hear of some of his being available I heartily recommend getting one or two. I *think* I heard that the Lenma rCRV3 does *not* work.

I agree with the OP's valuation of rechargeable lithiums in the PNs. I'm a little perplexed by the report of 5 hours run time out of 2000 mAh batteries. IIRC I got 8 hours or so out of my official DeLorme battery, which was supposedly a 1300 mAh battery. I know my observed run times tended to be at the upper end of the range reported by others, and some people did get run times more like 5 hours. But it would seem that something with 50% more capacity than mine ought to be better than 5 hours. Odd.

I get upwards of 12-14 hours in a PN-40 with my Cab-bat, but I don't recall the mAh rating. I know he was striving for as much as he could get.

I have one of his batteries also and it is great. I have cached all day and lost a bar. Do you know what his store name is. I would love to get another if he every makes them again.

Thanks

If you have any of the Delorme PN series, and are tired of carrying lots of spare batteries. Have I got the answer for you. I was really getting tired of going through battery after battery so I decided to check into Delormes rechargable battery pack. I weighed the cost of the pack to the cost of a crap load of AA's not to mention having the AA's all over my pack. At that point Delprmes batt was a no brainer. After going to Delormes website to get the specs on the pack I put that info into search on ebay. My search brought up something rather interesting. I was able to find 2 CR-V3 packs with 2000mah as opposed to the 1300mah packs from Delorme, and a charger (car, and wall) for around $25.00 Make sure you get the 2000mah batteries, as they hold more charge. That number has nothing to do with the voltage so don't fear getting them. I can also order individual pack for around $8 each now that I have a charger.

I decided to give them a shot, and am I glad I did. I now have 2 battery packs that last around 5 hours each continuous run. I have NEVER even come close to running out of charge. I thoruoghly recommend these to every PN series owner. The fact that I have 1 extra battery in my pack instead of 20AA's is worth the money alone.

I just wanted everyone to have this info, so their caching time is not wasted changing batteries.

I violently disagree.

I refuse to support companies by buying rechargeable battery packs for GPSrs. I don't want to see these guys getting carried away and making "one-time use" units like the iphone, or forcing us to buy proprietary battery pack designs.

I absolutely HATE the idea of rechargable li-ion packs, especially in GPSrs. Common AA type batteries are the way to go and always will be. I don't care how much a company tries to convince me otherwise. I won't buy into the hype of better battery life with rechargeable packs.... I know they DO get better life, but the cost of being reliant on them is definitely not worth it.

;)

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

To each his own...one of the things I particularly admire about the PN series is that DeLorme doesn't shoe-horn users into any one battery type...Alkiline, Lithium, NiMH, rechargeable Lithium-Ion...whatever floats your boat.

I favor rechargeables over disposables for the cost savings and the lesser impact on landfills. I like the r-CRV3 because I can charge it in the device...there will be months where I don't have to remove the cover. So for me the biggest plus of the r-CRV3 over the NiMHs is the convenience. That's worth some money to me.

The higher-capacity Ni-MHs such as the one linked by jsdad are good for longer run times if you are organized enough to charge them up before going out, but will suffer some over time from higher incidental drain. The low-discharge NiMHs don't lose power over time as badly, but don't offer the higher capacities.

I violently disagree.

I refuse to support companies by buying rechargeable battery packs for GPSrs. I don't want to see these guys getting carried away and making "one-time use" units like the iphone, or forcing us to buy proprietary battery pack designs.

I absolutely HATE the idea of rechargable li-ion packs, especially in GPSrs. Common AA type batteries are the way to go and always will be. I don't care how much a company tries to convince me otherwise. I won't buy into the hype of better battery life with rechargeable packs.... I know they DO get better life, but the cost of being reliant on them is definitely not worth it.

:rolleyes:

That is your choice. I just don't see the point in "supporting" companies like duracell, energizer, etc. by buying 30 packs of their batteries to geo-cache either. not to mention the detriment on our enviornment. I am, as a cacher, an avide outdoorsman, and would like to have the land to live in. If I have to dispose of 1 battery pack every 1-2 years, as opposed to 75-100 AA's I will do so.

Plus, as an amateur photographer, I carry my SLR as well as my geo bag. Doing so, I am not a real big fan of lugging the extra batteries just so I don't have to cut my hike short. I know that with 1 fully charged battery pack I am good for the day. I'm not a pack mule.

Don't believe the hype, and have a nice day. Happy caching.

That is your choice. I just don't see the point in "supporting" companies like duracell, energizer, etc. by buying 30 packs of their batteries to geo-cache either. not to mention the detriment on our enviornment. I am, as a cacher, an avide outdoorsman, and would like to have the land to live in. If I have to dispose of 1 battery pack every 1-2 years, as opposed to 75-100 AA's I will do so.

I dont' think the opposition to all rechargeable batteries, it's opposition to rechargeable battery packs which are vendor-specific.

Even if DeLorme's battery pack outperforms rechargeable AAs by 50%, I'm sticking with NiMH AAs - I've got a lot of devices which can all use them, not just my GPS.

Edited by dakboy

My 5 hour runtime report is based on the time I actually have to cache. LOL! I don't usually get anymore time then that to be out. If you send me the site or address where I can get those Cab-bat from I will def. check them out. I merely bought the ones I bought because that is what I found. Being in the stelworkers union, I would much rather support an American then an over seas provider.

Trust me when I say that I was a little nervous about the battery packs "cooking" my GPSr. For what it is worth, I had an old Nikon point and shoot that uses the same battery pack model, so I ran the packs through it first to make sure they were OK. Whether this was a true indicator or not, I'm not sure. I have fortunately had no problem with them though. I appreciate your info.

As far as the warrenty? I purchased my Delorme from an ebay store, and Delorme doesn't honor the warraty anyway for whatever reason.

HAPPY CACHING TO ALL!!!!!

I developed severe carpal-tunnel syndrome and advanced deteriorative arthritic degenerative immobilization of the wrist.

My chiropractor determined that the cause was due to changing the alkaline AAs daily and the subsequent recalibration of my PN-40's electronic compass.

He suggested discontinuing the calibration as the ensuing violent wrist gyrations were causing the muscular and skeletal deflatulations.'

However, after observing that I was walking sideways into his office on the next three visits, he offered to calibtrate the electronic compass himself.

Well, ONCE only to protect his wrist and and arm and suggested that I obtain and install the Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack. :rolleyes:

I violently disagree.

Plus, as an amateur photographer, I carry my SLR as well as my geo bag. Doing so, I am not a real big fan of lugging the extra batteries just so I don't have to cut my hike short. I know that with 1 fully charged battery pack I am good for the day. I'm not a pack mule.

Don't believe the hype, and have a nice day. Happy caching.

I wasn't talking specifically about one time use AA alkalines, I was talking about rechargeable NIMHs. Why would you prefer a proprietary, vendor specific battery over a universal variant you could use in a lot of your electronics? That just doesn't make any logical sense...

Right now I have the flexibility of using three types or more of batteries... i can use one time use AA alkalines (if im in a pinch), rechargeable AA nimh, AA lithiums, or AA nizn... This is simply ideal no matter how you cut it! Why would I want to be restricted to one type of battery pack, which, if I forgot to bring with me, or found out their was a problem with it, I would not be able to use my GPSr as a result (say if I were on a trip).

Rechargable proprietary battery packs are absolute garbage for use in GPSrs. I could care less about battery life... i could care less if they gave me twice the runtime on a single charge. I would much rather carry as many sets of AA batteries I wanted and have as much battery time as I needed, which subsequently is usually not more than 4 AA batteries for a full day or two of geocaching.

Is it that hard to carry 4 AA batteries? Really... :ph34r:

Doesn't the DeLorme PN-40 use RCR-V3? Saying a particular brand of battery is better than others is like, for example, saying your Eneloop NiMH is better than other NiMH batteries.

Lithium ion / polymer battery packs do have some advantages over AA batteries. It all comes down to a design decision, let's not get into that here. But calling CR-V3 proprietary is not exactly accurate.

Tahoo Skier, your entitled to your "violent disagreemenets" about proprietary batteries. But you're misguided when you vent it this towards the DeLorme battery pack. It's a just a Rechargeable CRV3. Not especially common, but not unique or proprietary by any means. Lots of cameras use them.

The disclaimer from D. about using JUST their battery are common weasel words. LOTS of companies insist you have to use their branded accessories, even when there are perfectly adequate 3rd party options.

Saying a particular brand of battery is better than others is like, for example, saying your Eneloop NiMH is better than other NiMH batteries.
Except when many people have documented better results with Eneloops than other brands.

When I got my "good" charger, I got a set of Duracell 2600mAH batteries as well as the ones that came with the charger. 1 of the Duracells was a dud right out of the package - it will not charge properly and just doesn't work. Of the remaining 3, the 2 I've used have not performed anywhere near as well as the comparably-rated batteries that came with the charger.

The disclaimer from D. about using JUST their battery are common weasel words. LOTS of companies insist you have to use their branded accessories, even when there are perfectly adequate 3rd party options.

It's not so much "weaseling" as covering their hides (and you will notice that every portable electronics maker has the exact same disclaimers - my Canon Powershot I bought 9 years ago had it with its battery, my Panasonic camcorder carries the same disclaimer). The manufacturer does not want to assume the risk of widespread warranty repairs if someone else puts out a sketchy battery which causes problems with the device - if they can't be certain that it works properly, they don't want to have to pay for it.

Saying a particular brand of battery is better than others is like, for example, saying your Eneloop NiMH is better than other NiMH batteries.
Except when many people have documented better results with Eneloops than other brands.

I think you misunderstood. I'm not implying Eneloops are bad or anything (I use them myself). I'm just saying that it is merely recommending a brand that you have experience in and liking, nothing wrong with that.

Roger that!

I also have Li-Ion rechargeable in my Sandisk Sansa music player recharged by a proprietary cable.

I also have Li-Ion rechargeable in my Samsung SGH-A237 cellphone recharged by a proprietary cable.

I've decided to live with them as opposed to not using anything.

iPhone, iPad, iTouch, iAnything with AAs and standard USB cables?

I think in the original 'battery disclaimer' issued by DeLorme the word "type" was inserted.

Many people overlooked that, construing that the language meant DeLorme's battery was

"the only one". Much of this argument is irrelevant as the PN-XXs can use(@ last count)

4 different battery types, none of which are "proprietary"!

Norm

I think in the original 'battery disclaimer' issued by DeLorme the word "type" was inserted.

Many people overlooked that, construing that the language meant DeLorme's battery was

"the only one". Much of this argument is irrelevant as the PN-XXs can use(@ last count)

4 different battery types, none of which are "proprietary"!

Norm

In the case of the PN-40, I completely agree that the way Delorme designed it is ideal. I can choose whatever type of battery I want. This is perfect.

My complaint was more aimed at the trend of electronic devices moving towards using proprietary battery packs or built in batteries etc. This is where I draw the line and say no. As long as manufacturers give us the option, I am all for it.

And hey, if you choose to use the CRV battery in the Pn-40, then by all means go for it, but lets keep it flexible and not lock us ALL down to using rechargeable packs.

Tahoo Skier, your entitled to your "violent disagreemenets" about proprietary batteries. But you're misguided when you vent it this towards the DeLorme battery pack. It's a just a Rechargeable CRV3. Not especially common, but not unique or proprietary by any means. Lots of cameras use them.

the violent disagreement was kind of a joke :drama: ... i saw one of my friends use it on facebook the other day and I got a laugh out of it.

My complaint was more aimed at the trend of electronic devices moving towards using proprietary battery packs or built in batteries etc. This is where I draw the line and say no. As long as manufacturers give us the option, I am all for it.

I can agree with that wholeheartedly. Like CowboyPapa, I don't get to the point of boycotting them...but it definitely irks me for the reasons you cited.

My complaint was more aimed at the trend of electronic devices moving towards using proprietary battery packs or built in batteries etc. This is where I draw the line and say no.

I'm with you 99%. The problem arises when the form factor doesn't permit installation of "ordinary" cylindrical cells that provide the voltage/current in a package that actually fits. Point-and-shoot digital cameras and cell phones are classic examples of this. That said, it would be SWELL if they'd simply land on a few lithium ion pack designs for these purposes instead of the dozens that exist.

FWIW: cylindrical shaped cells are a waste of space to begin with, but their construction dictated that shape ages ago.

The problem arises when the form factor doesn't permit installation of "ordinary" cylindrical cells that provide the voltage/current in a package that actually fits. Point-and-shoot digital cameras and cell phones are classic examples of this.
I've seen a lot of P&S cameras that would disagree with this statement. Quite a few Canons, for starters.
The problem arises when the form factor doesn't permit installation of "ordinary" cylindrical cells that provide the voltage/current in a package that actually fits. Point-and-shoot digital cameras and cell phones are classic examples of this.
I've seen a lot of P&S cameras that would disagree with this statement. Quite a few Canons, for starters.

Then you're looking at "fat" cameras. None of the 3 newer point-and-shoot cameras that I own are anywhere near "fat" enough to hold a AA cell, for example, nor would there be space for 3X AAA cells.

Exactly, my daughter unknowingly bought a Canon P&S with the Li-Ion and then always had to fool with recharging.

When that needed to be returned for other reason,

we replaced it with the equivalent Canon model using AAs.

Same deal here with her mother, she doesn't want to fool with recharging her camera.

So I bought her the same Canon with AAs.

OTOH, I don't want to be fooling with swapping AAs and recalibrating the PN-40s electronic compass daily.

Consequently, I use the DeLorme Rechargeable CRV3 in my PNs and keep in on 12VDC while driving or Jeep in my garage - no big deal for me.

So, I am totally inflexible:

Only DeLorme Rechargeable CRV3 cells in my PN-XXs, and

Only expendable AAs in my family's Canon P&S cameras. :drama:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Then you're looking at "fat" cameras. None of the 3 newer point-and-shoot cameras that I own are anywhere near "fat" enough to hold a AA cell, for example, nor would there be space for 3X AAA cells.

I hardly consider my A2000 "fat" but I guess if being "fat" is what it takes to get a large lens to catch lots of light with good zoom, just call me Tubby.

I've been caught out with a dead Li-Ion camera battery before with no hope of recharging. I'll keep my AA option, TYVM. Even if I get gouged on the price, I know I can get batteries anywhere.

I hardly consider my A2000 "fat" but I guess if being "fat" is what it takes to get a large lens to catch lots of light with good zoom, just call me Tubby.

No, it just takes a good drop down optical path -- patented, of course.
I've been caught out with a dead Li-Ion camera battery before with no hope of recharging. I'll keep my AA option, TYVM. Even if I get gouged on the price, I know I can get batteries anywhere.

It's a definite PITA, to be sure. I have 3 that I rotate if I'm on a serious photo vacation. Two of them share a common pack (LI-8) but of course, one of them had to be different (LI-88). I don't resent LiPoly batteries, but as I say, the proliferation of sizes is very annoying.

I note that unlike the entire rest of the line, the Nuvi 500/550 use LiPoly as well. Better than most with sealed units -- at least you could swap them out if you had an (expensive) spare. Still not optimal, and another one of those compromises involved when you try to use automotive or handheld to try to do both jobs.

Now, how many AA cells does YOUR "cell" phone use?

Fat cameras :blink: ? I'm with you Dakboy. My A570 takes 2 AAs and I never thought of it as fat.
All of that extra "grip" stuff on the right adds quite a waistline ... it's 1.7" thick. My Optio P80 is also a 4X zoom, but in a 0.8" thick package - less than 1/2. The body itself is quite a bit thinner -- like I say, no room for a AA. Amazing what a clever optics designer can do given enough time.

My "fat camera" that I use in the field is a nikon coolpix that uses...wait for it..2AA batteries, or.... wait for it...a CRV3 battery pack!!! LOL Therefor I can use the pack I have in either device. Making the bettery packs2x as useful. I didn't start this post as a catalyst for a fist fight. I merely was trying to throw out some info I stumbled upon. I'm new to this forum, and had no idea this was such a hot button issue. You may commence the debate.

After 8 months of changing the NiMH AAs every few hours of use, I decided to get the Li-Ion rechargeable CR-V3s. It made me remember the great feature of my eXplorist 500 with its Li-ion that also charged in the unit (it used a common cell phone battery.) Charging the battery in my PN-30, and not have to constantly open, change, charge is great. And they should last much longer.

The rCR-V3 is a fairly standard battery and can be used well in two of my Kodak cameras. One camera does not like NiMH AAs, but loves the Li-ion rCR-V3.

I got 2 batteries, rated 2000mAh for $14 delivered. Green and white, with name: "EconMax." I will be testing this weekend.

I like the PN-40 for this reason, of having multiple choices, like having a battery pack or two, and a couple AA batteries, and lithiums AA's for cold weather.

I wonder if anybody ever bought an external battery pack that plugs into the PN-40, to charge up the rCR-V3 ?

I like the idea of not having to open up a GPS, but to plug in an external pack on occation. This way you are not having to open up the GPS, in messy weather, to change batteries.

Right now I got the Map60CSx and iPhone 3G, but am looking for a replacement of the worn out Map60CSx.

I wonder if anybody ever bought an external battery pack that plugs into the PN-40, to charge up the rCR-V3 ?

I like the idea of not having to open up a GPS, but to plug in an external pack on occation. This way you are not having to open up the GPS, in messy weather, to change batteries.

I know that some have used those 4 AA or 5 AA packs that have the standard 5.0v USB output (or whatever it comes in at). Since the PNs will run on external power if their cable is connected to a USB source, it does indeed run the GPS and recharge the rCRV3 Li-Ion. However, it takes a long time to recharge, I doubt that it's very efficient (I would think power is lost in the transfer), and it's messy with all the wires. One is almost always better off just switching the batteries in the PN out for fresh ones.

Right now I got the Map60CSx and iPhone 3G, but am looking for a replacement of the worn out Map60CSx.

So, how exactly did you "wear out" this 60CSx? :)

Been dropped a few times on hard ground, also the unit is forgetting the date/time, and taking forever to aquire the sats. The rubber armor, is all torn up.

Got a newer 60CSx on the 30th of May, and it is much better.

So, how exactly did you "wear out" this 60CSx? :laughing:

Been dropped a few times on hard ground, also the unit is forgetting the date/time, and taking forever to aquire the sats. The rubber armor, is all torn up.

Ah, so it was ABUSED and didn't just "wear out". :)

So, how exactly did you "wear out" this 60CSx? :(

Ah, so it was USED and didn't just "wear out". :blink:

Fixed. :D

Thanks,

That GPS is well used compared to the others, in that I have not gotten my Money's worth out of the others(Like New). Screen in excellent shape though.

My sister has a PN-40, but I have not really had a chance to use it, but in her case, it's always plugged in, while in the car, except when she does a cache, then turns it off, after each Find.

I probably would have gotten the PN-40, if my vision, did not get bad.

Thanks,

That GPS is well used compared to the others, in that I have not gotten my Money's worth out of the others(Like New). Screen in excellent shape though.

My sister has a PN-40, but I have not really had a chance to use it, but in her case, it's always plugged in, while in the car, except when she does a cache, then turns it off, after each Find.

I probably would have gotten the PN-40, if my vision, did not get bad.

I don't know of a single GPS that doesn't get dropped at one time or another if its being used. Heck, I even drop my cell phones. The PN-40 isn't for everyone, but before you write it off as too small to see, really give your sister's a workout. The fonts are more readable than you might think.

Fwiw, I use Lithium 8x batteries for a 10-12 hour day. Alkalines are worthless in the unit IMO. If you like the 40's readability, wait for the 60 to come out. I understand the battery life is going to be much better than on the 40 per the blog update of 1/31.

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/19/pn-60w-...ion-and-answer/

I don't know of a single GPS that doesn't get dropped at one time or another if its being used.

I know... Hence my :( "face" about a "worn out" 60CSx. If it's DAMAGED, that's one thing, but "worn out", to me, implies it was used SO much that it's, well... Worn out! :blink:

I don't know of a single GPS that doesn't get dropped at one time or another if its being used.

I know... Hence my ;) "face" about a "worn out" 60CSx. If it's DAMAGED, that's one thing, but "worn out", to me, implies it was used SO much that it's, well... Worn out! :rolleyes:

I would consider that part of the wear and tear of normal usage. You should have seen My MeriPlat before I finally decided it was worn out. Abuse is deliberately going out and taking the device beyond reasonably stated operating conditions for no other reason than to do so. Dropping it by accident is not beyond reasonable, and as far as I know outdoor devices are tested for such incidents.