New GPS Satellite Lanuch

Wild T2

quote:
Originally posted by elcamino:

.... Some that have been launched in the past had technical difficulties and neve went healthy or died an early death.

It's not really a problem (well it is sort of) but one of the biggest problems is many of the Sats have lived longer (way longer) than they were designed for, which sort of means we have to wait longer for the "better" replacements.

What we need is more replacement "R-M's" then some IIF's icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

What we need is more replacement "R-M's" then some IIF's icon_biggrin.gif

Im not familiar with the "R-M's" - where do they fall in the ancestry?

Regarding IIF's - I don't think that the software to utilize the enhancements of even IIR is operational yet.

Do you know of a timeline when IIR and IIF will be fully operational?

Egnix, the IIR-M is a designation for some of the existing built/stored IIR's that they have found a technical solution in modifying to give dual freq capability much sooner than if we had waited for the IIF's, which are specifically designed for dual freq (L2 and L5).

There's roughly 20 odd IIR's constructed and in storage. Not all of these will become IIR-M's as some will be launched with the balance (~12 -15 ??) will be converted to M's.

The IIR-M's besides having the additional L2(civil) also have new L1/M & L2M (military) signals. The IIR-M's are not quite a IIF as the IIF's will have the L5(civil), which the IIR-M's don't.

What it means the system will be capable of dual freq (civil) much sooner than was originally planned but still some years off until there's enough sats to make civil dual freq useable.

The first of the IIR-M's are supposedly due for launch late 2003 and the IIF's, 2008 so civil L1/L2 capability would probably be useful about 5 years sooner than waiting solely for the IIF's.

Most certainly will require new receivers (hardware/software) but everything is backward compatible.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif