Spray Paint Cammo For Ammo Boxes?

I have an ammo box I would like to cammo with paint that looks like this

http://www.cacherstoybox.ca/800-ml-Camo-Lo...Lock_p_102.html

or like this

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/ph...mp;id=569883157

I have seen this type of paint on an ammo box recently and the cacher who owns it is a newby. I've been caching for 9 months and I still don't know how to find that art. If anyon eknows how these are put on ammo boxes, please tell me! Thanks!

beautiful

the job looks homemade.

-paint it the base colour

-lay down branches on the box and spray with a contrasting colour

-move the branches and spray with a thrid colour

repeat steps one and two with as many colours as you like untill you get the look you want

If it's the paint you're looking for, Rustoleum makes several colors of ultra flat camo paint. Look for it at your local home improvement store. I use silk leaves from a hobby store for my prints. You can get a big bag of them really cheap so when they get soaked with paint I toss them and use new.

If it's the paint you're looking for, Rustoleum makes several colors of ultra flat camo paint. Look for it at your local home improvement store. I use silk leaves from a hobby store for my prints. You can get a big bag of them really cheap so when they get soaked with paint I toss them and use new.

.....be really cool if it did the multi colors and patterns as you sprayed it out the can though ??!!??

.....be really cool if it did the multi colors and patterns as you sprayed it out the can though ??!!??

That only works in Looney Toons. ;)

that would be really cool. you should sell that idea to michaels.

you could probably get 3 spray paint cans (green, dark green, brown?) and spray randomly with each... No way yet invented to actually have a pattern come straight out of the spray paint can (give those scientists time... If they stop inventing useful things)

What I see as interesting, is the time and expense to create an artful paint job on an ammo can, only to hide the darn thing in a length-split log! Why do people think of these things? I mean really, why?

Truth be known, patterns such as those pictured (though good) are not the key to camouflage. The real key is twofold -- 1. eliminate glare or shine; 2. break-up the outline of the object itself (not to try an make it look like a leafy tree).

Those paint suggestions in previous posts are good, add to that Krylon spray paint makes camouflage paint. No glare whatsoever, available in earth tones only.

What I see as interesting, is the time and expense to create an artful paint job on an ammo can, only to hide the darn thing in a length-split log! Why do people think of these things? I mean really, why?

What's worse is the camo taped container hidden under a lamp post skirt. Why? ;):)

What's worse is the camo taped container hidden under a lamp post skirt. Why? ;):)

I am guilty of a similar hide.

I perfectly colour matched the paint to a lamp post, but the post was on top of a multi cache stage that I hadn't done yet. Thus, i had to think of another place to hide it.

Or on a gaurdrail.

What's worse is the camo taped container hidden under a lamp post skirt. Why? ;):D

So the bomb squad robot has a harder time finding it. :)

I've done lots of ammo cans with the same type of cammo. The best instructions I found were on Geocaching Maine's website. http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showt...t=ammo+painting

I've used both real plants and dollar store ones, both work well. The magnetic alphabet letters are available at dollar stores and I use them to spell out "Geocache" - two sets needed! Then there's no question what it is. Kryol camo paint in 3 colors from department or hardware store.

Have fun

What's worse is the camo taped container hidden under a lamp post skirt. Why? ;):D

Not to mention silver duct tape on a cache hidden in the woods. :)

We have a few cans of different color flat spray paint on and - brown, tan, green, and black. I spray a few quick sprays moving across the can at random angles. I'll pick up a few leaves from outside or pluck something from the garden - last time I used some sprigs of flatleaf parsley - and just lay them across the can and run a few quick sprays across. It takes just a few minutes. It results in a can that looks like it's resting in the dappled light of a woods and practically disappears in most of the pine/oak wooded areas around here.

We placed one between some boulders. For that one we used a spray paint from the hobby shop that is intended to provide a "stone-like" look and then covered that with a clear finish. It got some compliments and still looks good after a few years outside.

(Should I worry that no one has ever "carded" me for buying spray paint!?!)

Bean

Now here is an opportunity to make your fortune. A can of spray paint that has 3 or 4 colors in it that spray out in a revolving sequence! If we can put a man on the moon, this should be a no-brainer! Along with a pill that gives you a constant tan and another that puts the color back in gray hair! ;)

I believe the proper way to do it is to paint the entire can a light colour, then add a few leaves and/or branches. Spray over that with a slightly darker colour then add more stuff. Repeat until you're spraying black and there's very little uncovered area on the can.

Krylon makes the 4 colours for this, and they recommend going tan -> olive -> brown -> black. I use it for pretty much all my caches.

What's worse is the camo taped container hidden under a lamp post skirt. Why? :):D

so it becomes a big glob of goo in the heat ;)

I don't even worry about buying camp colors. I just make sure my paints are flat (green, black and brown usually). I've used oak leaves to create a pattern but more often just use random squirts of brown and black over a green base.

The one in the rear used oak leaves to create a pattern. I simply moved the leaves from place to place and gave a quick spray of black or brown. The one in the foreground uses fleckstone paint and is for hiding among rocks.

ac6ec50c-5637-46d0-92ca-c55820d952c4.jpg

Here is the oak leaf pattern again and one that just used random squirts.

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

The Krylon colours are the best. As someone already said they are no-glare. You can get them at Home Hardware, Home Depot, Canadian Tire....lots of places have them. My Step son like the camo on a couple of geocaches so much we ended up painting his bike camo too....Lets just hope it doesn't park it in the woods ;)

The Krylon colours are the best.

This may have been mentioned already, but remember to buy spray paint designed for plastic if you're using a lock & lock. Many reg spray paints (especially the cheap ones) melt plastic. At craft stores, you can get special ones for plastic in smaller cans. Or Krylon makes them as well (found at hardware stores.)

Format Edit

Edited by Hazelette