Paperless GPS for under $200

Finally getting my first GPS and I have a budget of $200. I found a used Garmin Dakota 10 for $200. If I want to go paperless, would this be my best option? Wide open for any suggestions. Thanks all!

- Delorme PN-30 ($179)

- Lowrance Endura Out & back ($185)

If I had to pick a unit out of those two, I would go for the PN-30 since it includes all of the maps for the entire US. Very good value!

The new Mag Exlorist GC for $199 - can hold up to 10,000 geocaches - the whole unit is dedicated to Geocaching.

I like the maps on the Delorme but just can't bring myself to recommend it due to short battery life, propritary cable, need for external software to load caches, can hold only 1000 caches in memory at a time.

The Endura units are very nice for caching and priced well. A few minor glitches but they just get better with each new software release.

The Garmin Colorado units are on closeout for around $200 because they are no longer being manufactured by Garmin.

I like the maps on the Delorme but just can't bring myself to recommend it due to ...need for external software to load caches, can hold only 1000 caches in memory at a time.
Then you'd have to knock a lot of peoples' favorite Garmins too. GSAK (via GPSBabel) has been talking to DeLorme units just fine for several months now.

As for only holding 1000 caches/waypoints, the new firmware (2.7 unofficially as it was only meant for XMap users, but works fine for everyone, and 2.8, coming in a month or two) has file management to allow you to move caches & waypoints off to the SD card and back.

IIRC the Dakota 10 leaves out a lot of features many people consider nearly mandatory now.

If you can wait a couple weeks, I bet you'll find a number of used PN-40s available in the Garage Sale from people upgrading to the PN-60 series.

I like the maps on the Delorme but just can't bring myself to recommend it due to ...need for external software to load caches, can hold only 1000 caches in memory at a time.
Then you'd have to knock a lot of peoples' favorite Garmins too. GSAK (via GPSBabel) has been talking to DeLorme units just fine for several months now.

As for only holding 1000 caches/waypoints, the new firmware (2.7 unofficially as it was only meant for XMap users, but works fine for everyone, and 2.8, coming in a month or two) has file management to allow you to move caches & waypoints off to the SD card and back.

I don't need GSAk or anything for the other units listed. Just drag and Drop the GPX.

The PN-30 can only have a max of 1000 caches loaded at a time before you have to use commands to swap out the current 1000 and load a different set of 1000 from the card. Akward at best. The Endura does 4000 at a time and the Explorist GC 10,000.

Edited by StarBrand

The new Mag Exlorist GC for $199 - can hold up to 10,000 geocaches - the whole unit is dedicated to Geocaching.

I like the maps on the Delorme but just can't bring myself to recommend it due to short battery life, propritary cable, need for external software to load caches, can hold only 1000 caches in memory at a time.

The Endura units are very nice for caching and priced well. A few minor glitches but they just get better with each new software release.

The Garmin Colorado units are on closeout for around $200 because they are no longer being manufactured by Garmin.

I'm not sure how advanced of a cacher bettrick is, but a lot of your cons related to the PN-30 are minor.

1. The pn-30 battery life is just fine, about 10 hours or so. With rechargeble batteries this is no big deal.

2. there is no need for a non proprietary cable... the one that comes with the unit works fine is durable enough

3. you can use a few programs now to transfer waypoints. and if you load a bunch of caches at once, you wont have to transfer often anyway.

4. I have about 100 caches max in my gps and i have more than enough for a few weeks of caching. I am a pretty casual cacher, but still... not many people would actually need room for 1000 caches. the small fraction that do are the uber cachers ;)

All things considered I think the PN-30 is a killer value and very recommendable for under $200. The maps alone that come with it are pretty much the selling point... full topo maps for the entire US... Plus its advanced enough so you can grow into it.

I -had- a PN-30, and just got an Oregon 200 from Bassproshops.com for $199.94 + $14.95 shipping. It may be my opinion, but from what I can tell, the Oregon is far and away better than the PN-30. Bigger screen, FREE MAPS (Not free if I buy DeLorme's software to write their proprietary format....>.<), imagery (I currently have B&W USGS quads on it...Still working on color...), NORMAL USB cable (again, proprietary....), MUCH easier and faster battery change, better battery life, TOUCH SCREEN (no annoying typing....click, click, click, enter....), faster acquisition, better hold on signal lock (number 1 reason we didn't like the PN-30), many more options, Wherigo (haven't used it yet, but I may someday), and more. I noticed the other day bassproshops.com has the GPSMap 60CSX for 199.94 as well. Not paperless, but a HUGELY popular caching tool.

Later!

Cache Register is easy, simple and good for up to 1,000 caches.

However, if you do want more than 1,000, or run multiple PQs and keep their results in separate files, installing FW 2.7 is the way to go.

With FW 2.7, no need to use any software that is not "in-the-box."

I just import PQ results (GPX files) into Topo USA 8.0, rename and export back to the SD card hosted in my PN-40.

As such, it holds each PQ GPX file as a separate file on the SD card along side other non-geocache waypoint files.

I do not use GSAK, or other "3rd party" software.