Can you show me pictures of your signature items?

People are so original here! Now I need to get to the drawing board!

Oh, fear not. This weekend's caching run will involve a stop at Hobby Lobby, to get some shrink art. We have a rubber stamp that we stamp the clay with (the smilie face you can see on some of our coins...) but with the shrink art, I'll be able to do it in full color, and add text, and make some really cool coins. I can not wait to try that out. Thanks Guiles for the awesome tip!

Later!

Edited by DazDnFamily

Here's what I've been dropping in caches when I can. They are shrink art printed with my computer. I'd like to say I collect others' sig items, but as yet I've found only one, and I lost it. :unsure: I keep looking tho!

803c9573-acd2-4322-8353-ca69761ad4e2.jpg

Guiles

Guiles can you give some info on how you make these? Do I just make a design in say Publisher then print it on shrink paper? What kind of paper is best, how many can you make out of one sheet?

Thanks

Guiles can you give some info on how you make these? Do I just make a design in say Publisher then print it on shrink paper? What kind of paper is best, how many can you make out of one sheet?

There's inkjet printable Shrinky Dink for those of us less artistically inclined.

http://www.goestores.com/catalog.aspx?storename=shrinkydinks&DeptID=34365&ItemID=4190137&detail=1

You print, cut, and bake it. It then shrinks to (according to the website) 1/3 their original size and becomes 9 times thicker. You have to be a bit careful baking it, or they end up warped. My kids used to play with them when they were younger.

Here's the wikipedia article on shrinky dinks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrinky_Dinks

Oh, and there's circular punches (up to 3" in diameter) for those of us less than dexterous with our hands as well, in case you plan to go into mass production :)

Edited by Chrysalides

i made "Geocaching Licenses" and had them printed on glossy card stock. Incidentally, this design is in production as a geocoin.

Front and back are below:

geocachinglicensecopyri.jpg

This looks very similar to the ones on the blog called RENZO'S CUSTOM CACHE. On that site you can download the PDF files for both the license and the cipher wheel.

Here are a few pictures of my signature item. I decided to create something that ties into my other hobby, collecting antique firecracker labels. I created my own SeaScout Brand "firecracker pack label", I then made replica antique firecracker label fridge magnets. I wrap two of the magnets up in red firecracker pack paper and put my label on it. Just like a real pack of crackers, you have to destroy the package to get what is inside. I include a brief history of antique firecracker collecting in the package. I have hundreds of scanned images of antique labels so no two packages have the same labels inside. I've had cachers stalk after me just to try to add to their collections. My signature item seems more popular around this time of year. For the record it is made quite clear on the packaging that NO actual fireworks are included. People seem to like them.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Hello! ... am new to the forum, new to caching & new to signature items, but I thought I'd have a go at making some last night. So the first ended up in today's only non-micro find! ... if I ever come across another signature itrm in a cache I will be properly excited ... so far it's all been toys! x

Welcome Tadpole, and Good Luck!

A BIG THANKS to everyone for sharing their photos and their creativity.

This is what I WAS leaving behind, but now I see it as pretty lame compared

to the great ideas discussed here. They are stamped onto craft wooden blanks. Front and reverse shown.

I'm thinking now that I like the

shrink plastic idea. They come out pretty cool!

GeoCoin.jpg

Edited by FolsomNatural

I loved the handpainted rocks idea, so I picked up some river rocks, paint, and sealer today planning on painting them with my son who caches with me. Ended up with my next door neighbors and two of their kids, and we painted rocks for six hours today. We had a blast doing it, and we are going to seal them, photograph them, and go geocaching tomorrow! Was a great family activity.

Some very original ideas! I recently set about designing a logo and I think I've finished... Just need to draw it up in Photoshop. Struggling with what to actually put it on... Keyring, badge etc. I might try something more original though. Any ideas?

I'm just wondering the same thing myself. Depends on how big it is, and what you want to make it out of I suppose.

Thanks! They're simple wooden beads from a craft store, a bit larger than a quarter in diameter. Didn't think I'd ever find a use for them...

Of course I then realized I didn't have the right screen name on this site... and attempted to change it. Taken... but can't find a Herah in the members list. Sigh. I'll put my other favorite screen name on the back. MadamSmall.

Edited by joannavr

Thanks! They're simple wooden beads from a craft store, a bit larger than a quarter in diameter. Didn't think I'd ever find a use for them...

Of course I then realized I didn't have the right screen name on this site... and attempted to change it. Taken... but can't find a Herah in the members list. Sigh. I'll put my other favorite screen name on the back. MadamSmall.

LOL! ... I too have lots of random stuff that I've picked up from a craft shop at some point and no longer have any idea what to do with it ... fab for making caching swag! ... and a very good use for your wooden beads!

Thanks! ... I get bored easily so all mine have been different so far ... just similar packaging depending on the size of the charm!

How do you get your wire to look so well finished? I saw your picture and just had to reach in the drawer and try something similar. Maybe I am using a different gauge, but getting a nice rounded and beautiful name wasn't happening over here... I made it my keychain anyway, thanks for the idea!

Thanks! ... I get bored easily so all mine have been different so far ... just similar packaging depending on the size of the charm!

How do you get your wire to look so well finished? I saw your picture and just had to reach in the drawer and try something similar. Maybe I am using a different gauge, but getting a nice rounded and beautiful name wasn't happening over here... I made it my keychain anyway, thanks for the idea!

I believe I used 0.80mm diameter copper wire for that (I'm sorry, I live in the UK, so don't do guages!)... most of the curves are around needle nose jewellery making pliars, so easy to get the smooth curves ... some of the larger ones are just created using my fingers & the flexibility of the wire ... you do have to be really gentle with the wire to avoid leaving tool-marks, but I've made a number of these in the past (usually for male friend's birthday's as I figured they wouldn't be so keen on bracelets!) and also done something similar in Christmas Decorations for friend's kids ... After a couple of practice runs it really started working, so stick with it and hopefully you'll get the results you intended very soon!

2009-tree-ornament-08.jpg

That looks awesome, thanks Emma! I'll have to do some wire shopping...

I went ahead and decorated the backs of my coins, with excerpts from Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken. I can't help but recite it every time I am out on the trails.

ea4c6994-1a47-4c4c-bcfe-6fbf2e9ddcc1.jpg

Edited by joannavr

That looks awesome, thanks Emma! I'll have to do some wire shopping...

I went ahead and decorated the backs of my coins, with excerpts from Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken. I can't help but recite it every time I am out on the trails.

ea4c6994-1a47-4c4c-bcfe-6fbf2e9ddcc1.jpg

*grins* ... once you've gotten used to it making interesting shapes from just the wire is really quite fun ... for christmas decorations & christmas necklaces I also do Rudolf outlines with a red bead hung down for a nose!

ETA ... loving the backs of the coins! x

Edited by EmmaGx

I was inspired by the shrink art idea so I went out and bought some printable shrink plastic, created some designs, and made some signature items. It was that simple! I think they look pretty good! Any comments?

MyShrinkArt.jpg

Added this second pic with a quarter for size reference.

MyShrinkArt2.jpg

-Mike

Edited by TripleGCrew

I was inspired by the shrink art idea so I went out and bought some printable shrink plastic, created some designs, and made some signature items. It was that simple! I think they look pretty good! Any comments?

-Mike

Did you print them or draw them by hand? They look fantastic. Shrinky-dink material seems awesomely fun.

Did you print them or draw them by hand? They look fantastic. Shrinky-dink material seems awesomely fun.

Since it is printable shrink plastic, I assume it's printed.

Mike, which brand did you get? They look great! The poker chip design looks too thin though - a matter of expectation, I guess, since we're used to what poker chips look like.

Edited by Chrysalides

Since it is printable shrink plastic, I assume it's printed.

Mike, which brand did you get? They look great! The poker chip design looks too thin though - a matter of expectation, I guess, since we're used to what poker chips look like.

Thanks! I believe the brand was called Grafix. I picked it up at Hobby Lobby. I'm really happy with the way they turn out Yes, the poker chip is thinner than you'd expect a regular chip to be and it's single sided (you can print on both sides but lining it up would be nearly impossible). Also, I figured out last night that inkjet ink is water-based and it will leach off when it gets wet. I'm going to look for some spray sealer.

Mike

That is exactly where i got the inspiration from! i even emailed Renzo an image of my cards and offered to send him a few.

i made "Geocaching Licenses" and had them printed on glossy card stock. Incidentally, this design is in production as a geocoin.

Front and back are below:

geocachinglicensecopyri.jpg

This looks very similar to the ones on the blog called RENZO'S CUSTOM CACHE. On that site you can download the PDF files for both the license and the cipher wheel.

Thanks! I believe the brand was called Grafix. I picked it up at Hobby Lobby. I'm really happy with the way they turn out Yes, the poker chip is thinner than you'd expect a regular chip to be and it's single sided (you can print on both sides but lining it up would be nearly impossible). Also, I figured out last night that inkjet ink is water-based and it will leach off when it gets wet. I'm going to look for some spray sealer.

Thanks for the info. I think I have a pack of that lying around somewhere, have to give it a try. Didn't realize that the ink would run when wet - good info, thanks!

I am SO excited to have found this thread!! I also feel rather foolish; my father got me into Geocaching and I just started off with my own account. I actually thought I had come up with an original idea of leaving...handmade items. Surprise! My eyes have been opened to yet another community that's out there: Crafty Cachers! I have been looking at forums that talk about "signature items" for hours now and I could not be more thrilled!! :D (I also now have a long list of folks whose work I want to find!)

One of the reasons I've been lurking on the forums was to find answers to some of questions before writing my own posts. I'm so happy to say that I have found those answers in this thread. I didn't know if it was "good form" to included a blog address either on the signature item or in a forum signature. It would appear that it is not only okay but encouraged. (I was worried that it would seem self-promoting, but since it's non-commercial it is really just sharing.)

I am going to try and upload a pic of my first four pieces. My idea was to finally use some of my craft supplies to create tiny collages. I laminated them with magnets on the back so they can easily be displayed. I put each in a tiny zip lock bag and will include a piece of paper with my user name and blog address. (Does that sound okay?) I am crossing all my fingers and toes that folks who find them might visit my blog (created just for this project) and let me know if they took/moved them. I'm not assigning tracking numbers or anything really formal. I just want to "release them to the wind" and see what happens. :)

set1squarecopy.jpg

I am going to try and upload a pic of my first four pieces. My idea was to finally use some of my craft supplies to create tiny collages. I laminated them with magnets on the back so they can easily be displayed. I put each in a tiny zip lock bag and will include a piece of paper with my user name and blog address. (Does that sound okay?) I am crossing all my fingers and toes that folks who find them might visit my blog (created just for this project) and let me know if they took/moved them. I'm not assigning tracking numbers or anything really formal. I just want to "release them to the wind" and see what happens. :)

I wish the photo is bigger - they looks fantastic, and I'd like to see them a bit better.

I don't see anything wrong with having your blog URL there.

If you want to make some of them trackable, you could attach a travel bug dog tag to them.

Happy caching!

I like these too. I laminate a lot of things I want to keep for future reference for craft ideas and hadn't thought of using the laminator to make sig items. I think it is a great idea to include your blog info, too. I would like to start up a blog about the things I'm making actually, so if you have any advice and can recommend a good free crafty place to start, please PM me! (not sure if we're allowed to advertise blog sites here & am trying not to take this great thread off topic.)

I am still working on my/ our sig items and can't post what I've come up with just yet because I am making some for somebody else first, to send as part of a a geocoin mission. (Coin Spotlight Mission). I'm finding it a lot harder coming up with designs for myself. I'm probably being too picky. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fianccetto

I would like to start up a blog about the things I'm making actually, so if you have any advice and can recommend a good free crafty place to start, please PM me! (not sure if we're allowed to advertise blog sites here & am trying not to take this great thread off topic.)

I just use wordpress for mine: My geoswag blog

Here's my first try (so far0 with varying success. I decided on an oak leaf as the image I'll be using for a lot of different projects. It's quite a tricky shape and lends itself to some craft projects more than others!

f4dzkz.jpg

j6u1vr.jpg

They're made with polymer clay (Primo and sculpey). I carved (gouged) small linocuts to indent the leaf design into the clay. I baked the diska then filled some of the leaf shapes with different coloured clay. Baked them again, then used sandpaper around the rough edges (that's the dust you can see.)

I haven't sealed/ varnished them yet because I'm not sure what to use. I couldn't find outdoor Mod Podge locally, so might try some yacht varnish over Primo glaze.

(The pale whitish colour is glow in the dark.)

Here's my basic signature attempt, if I put it on something I will probably add a few words of wisdom... or something witty.

I was thinking a clear round plastic keyring/badge and then possibly attaching a couple onto tracker bugs and sending them off into the big wide world.

911dd9d8-d2e9-4d0a-a2f8-c0f383da2d68.jpg

Edited by JourneyPilot

Hi all,

I have only been caching for a couple of months now but am already hooked. Having been following the forums I have wanted to get involved with the missions that come up but as most of them need you to have geocoins to add to the pot I have been unable to join in. Due to lack of cash I can't just order some up :P Anyway a couple of people suggested that trading didnt have to be coins for coins so I'm hoping some of you out there would be willing to trade geocoins for my handmade signiture items.

The first three photos show my personal sig items but the 4th photo is one I use for putting in my own caches and change the names accordingly. Anyone interested in trading with me I am happy to personalize that one with their own caching handle or cache name.

Hope you like them, let me know what you think :)

JP

sigitem1.jpgsigitem2.jpgsigitem3.jpgsigitem4.jpgsigitemreverse.jpg

Hi all,

I have only been caching for a couple of months now but am already hooked. Having been following the forums I have wanted to get involved with the missions that come up but as most of them need you to have geocoins to add to the pot I have been unable to join in. Due to lack of cash I can't just order some up :P Anyway a couple of people suggested that trading didnt have to be coins for coins so I'm hoping some of you out there would be willing to trade geocoins for my handmade signiture items.

The first three photos show my personal sig items but the 4th photo is one I use for putting in my own caches and change the names accordingly. Anyone interested in trading with me I am happy to personalize that one with their own caching handle or cache name.

Hope you like them, let me know what you think :)

JP

sigitem1.jpgsigitem2.jpgsigitem3.jpgsigitem4.jpgsigitemreverse.jpg

Wow, they're really great!

Thanks in part to this topic I was inspired to try the artwork in the bottle cap with resin. The penny one was for trips to the US and the goat one was for a trip specifically to Glacier National Park. The one with the dogwood, BC's provincial flower, was for a recent trip to Alberta and Saskatchewan, where one was confirmed taken to be turned into a brooch! :) I was considering magnets for the next batch but haven't found any small and powerful enough to go inside the cap. Maybe glue some to the backside?

9291a0c5-8565-4055-9e5e-b97151bef8e9.jpg

c247e6c4-91d4-40c0-9b4a-cf54b13d44e2.jpg

Edited by Mr Kaswa