Can you show me pictures of your signature items?

I'm finding too many caches too fast, I wouldn't be able to maintain a stock of signature items :unsure: It would be pretty cool tho to be in a 'not-so-saturated' area and be able to develop one.

I found one of JHolly's sig items in a cache after an event in Fremont, CA, last night. Nothing tricky about that and quite effective.

Print up a design by laser printer on one side of a sheet of paper, flip it over and print another design, or your geocaching name, on the other, i.e. 'Dragery Was Here', then cut them up and keep a supply in a mint tin you carry with you.

Though I'd love to have a pathtag or other type of sig item of my own, it's not in the cards at the moment. So I might do the paper cut-out thing. I have a laser printer and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, so the artwork shouldn't be a problem (though I think Word or even Wordpad could suffice with a little effort.)

I'm finding too many caches too fast, I wouldn't be able to maintain a stock of signature items :unsure: It would be pretty cool tho to be in a 'not-so-saturated' area and be able to develop one.

Well, you don't have to leave one in every cache! for example, if I visit five caches in an area, I'll leave one, maybe two sig. items in the ones I like the best. (mine aren't expensive) Then when I log my visits, I usually see that another cacher was at each of those same caches before me- that's probably how everyone does it, making the rounds.

I'm finding too many caches too fast, I wouldn't be able to maintain a stock of signature items :( It would be pretty cool tho to be in a 'not-so-saturated' area and be able to develop one.

Well, you don't have to leave one in every cache! for example, if I visit five caches in an area, I'll leave one, maybe two sig. items in the ones I like the best. (mine aren't expensive) Then when I log my visits, I usually see that another cacher was at each of those same caches before me- that's probably how everyone does it, making the rounds.

I leave a sig item in any cache that can hold one.

When I run out, I make more.

If I find a regular or large cache, as long as the container is dry and in good shape I usually leave my signature item which is:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image...3&type=card

On the back of the card, I write my username and the date with a Sharpie.

I figure its a good way to spread knowledge of Magic: The Gathering and possibly meet fellow MTGers who also geocache.

Hmm...a possible use for all my hundreds and hundreds of Magic cards. I don't play anymore (all the updates / errata / new rules got a little too overwhelming at some point) but still have the cards. Should drop an Armageddon in the vicinity of a muggled cache sometime! :(

I love looking at this thread. These sig items are awesome! I'm not wild about the ones that are just cards, unless they're laminated or somehow really, really eye-catching and unique; I've seen too many caches with moldy business cards stagnating at the bottom.

--Q

I'm not wild about the ones that are just cards, unless they're laminated or somehow really, really eye-catching and unique; I've seen too many caches with moldy business cards stagnating at the bottom.

--Q

That's why i try to leave my Geocaching Licenses in a ziplock or plastic container of their own.

Being totally new to this but here is a question and a suggestion:

1. There are baggies you can buy that are really tiny from places that sell beads and you can put your items in that if they aren't waterproof.

2. Signature items - If you find a cache that has both signature items and random goodies, do you only pick one, or can you take one of each - then would you have to replace two items, or you don't replace a signature item? I told you I was new lol, just trying to learn about all this! Going on my first excursion with my daughter tomorrow. We are VERY excited to head to town before all the locals are awake ;-) :(

2. Signature items - If you find a cache that has both signature items and random goodies, do you only pick one, or can you take one of each - then would you have to replace two items, or you don't replace a signature item?
Take as many trade items as you want (and signature items are just a type of trade item), but remember: trade up, trade even, or don't trade!
These are my little Bu babies - to be placed in caches we have visited. What do people think??
I have also made a few of these to leave in caches. They are handmade crotcheted brooches.
I'd trade for them in a heartbeat. Too bad I'm half-way around the world from you...

Thanks for the photos!

These are my little Bu babies - to be placed in caches we have visited. What do people think??
I have also made a few of these to leave in caches. They are handmade crotcheted brooches.
I'd trade for them in a heartbeat. Too bad I'm half-way around the world from you...

Thanks for the photos!

oh wow - thanks so much for your compliment - that makes me feel so good. pm your addy and I'll make one of my Bu babies especially for you x x x :)

Wow. Those are awesome. I would totally grab a big one first time I saw one to add to my sig item collection. Only thing is, I can't tell it's a sig item. Obviously sig items are totally at the discretion of the sig item owners so as long as you are cool with them that is all that matters. If you'll allow me to share an opinion though, I'd add that sig items are much more interesting when there is something labeling the item as a sig item with the name of the cacher whose sig item it is. If I came across your sig item I don't think I'd recognize it as such. Of course, that may not be your intention so who cares what I think. I guess I'm......just sayin'.

That's moreso the reason I'm leaving them 'unlabeled'... so that albeit it's my signature item, it's seen by others as a swag item more than anything else. Far, far too many times have I opened a cache (ie: most caches small size and up), to find that half of the 'swag' is all signature items... cards with people's names, poker chips, whatever homemade stuff. All fine and good, but it seems like there's far more signature item than there is non-signature swag.

With this seen possibly as more non-sig swag, I'm hoping that people trade for it moreso than sig items, and thus bring up the percentage of regular swag in the cache. At least around here it seems as though nobody trades for signature items... could just be a regional thing.

My signature item(s) are hand-made chainmail things

I am amazed. I tried making chainmail (I make jewelry & stuff). It drove me bonkers! I've never been more frustrated in my life! All the links look the same to me while making it, so I was never getting the rings in the right places. And then heaven forbid you drop it! You'll never figure out which rings are which!

Excellent work!

Thanks. If you want a quick look at what enough patience with chainmail eventually comes to, check out this item I've made :unsure:

Also, when I place a cache, my FTF prize is usually a handmade titanium chainmail bracelet.

WOW nice FTF item. I have a chainmail bracelet my Aunt made me and I love it!

The pressed pennies are great! Do you have a commercial machine that you make them with?

Not a pretty commercial machine, but it HAS been blessed by Jeremy. :unsure:

Here is the actual laying on of hands:

41e5d8b4-47aa-4d70-8577-c8118d1fc704.jpg

42959250-6db0-47cc-893d-8afc8739e622.jpg

:blink::blink: whoa! How do you get a coin squishy machine? I thought they were only at zoos and carnivals! I want one!! :grin:

I want a bu baby

and a penny squisher

everybody has cooler stuff than I do :unsure:

I just do little drawings on wooden disks that are about the size of a quarter. It's a little tricky to do a drawing that small with colored sharpies and have it look like something. I think they're fun to do though. I write lachupa - charlotte - 2010 on the back. Oh and the title of the drawing so as to clear up the mystery..."OH it's a butterfly I get it".

sigitems.jpg

sigitems.jpg

They are really cute - do u seal them with anything??

I'm still working out that part. I tried clear fingernail polish but it sort of turned them yellow. I was going to head over to the craft store today to see what I could scare up so I can get them ready for this weekend. If nothing else I put them in tiny plastic bead bags.

I'm still working out that part. I tried clear fingernail polish but it sort of turned them yellow. I was going to head over to the craft store today to see what I could scare up so I can get them ready for this weekend. If nothing else I put them in tiny plastic bead bags.

I use a spray acrylic to seal our sig item (my avatar is a picture of it). It's just a little wooden ball that I paint to look like a buckeye. The "face" is the exposed wooden ball. The spray seems to work well--it seems fine on the wood and the paint, and I haven't had any problems with the surface getting sticky or anything after they dry.

edit to fix quotes

Edited by BuckeyeClan

11082010014.jpg

11082010009.jpg

11082010008.jpg

AWESOME!!

I agree with the winged one. Those really are awesome and I can't imagine anyone that wouldn't want to trade for one.

Excellent job!

sigitems.jpg

Seal them with Varathane, diamond finish. You can buy a quart of it for less than $10 or get it in the spray can which will cost more per application but still seal a few hundred of them if you do them all at the same time.

Edited by bittsen

Those Bu Babies are amazing!!! Lachupa's little drawings are so cute too. I'd trade high for any of these lovely items.

I 100% agree! I LOVE the Bu Babies!!! and Lachupa's drawings too! :laughing: I am also too far from both to get them though. :huh:

I haven't created my sig item yet (still new, didn't actually know about sig items until this thread, but now I think they're neat). Was sort of leaving sig items in some of the caches I found so far without really meaning to. lol

I was thinking of either a faux flower (the kind you'd get off a hawaiian necklace/lei), or an origami crane or flower. Does that sound ok... or lame?

I think I'm going to have to go caching round Chesterfield to find a Bu Baby...

Any tips on uploading photos?

you need to upload your pic to a photo hosting site - I use photobucket, then copy the image link and post the url in the insert image box at the top of the reply box. If you can't do it let me know and I will pm you my email addy and you can email me your pic and I will put it up for you.

I bought a bunch of little plastic bags at the craft store. You might want to invest in some of those to protect the little hearts.

My mom crochets really elaborate things like table cloths. Mostly she does baby blankets and afgans. She tried to teach me when I was a kid. ADD <> crochet ability. I can make potholders but that's it.

I bought a bunch of little plastic bags at the craft store. You might want to invest in some of those to protect the little hearts.

My mom crochets really elaborate things like table cloths. Mostly she does baby blankets and afgans. She tried to teach me when I was a kid. ADD <> crochet ability. I can make potholders but that's it.

I've already got some bags for protecting them. lol I also have little charms for charm bracelets I have left in 1 cache already

like everyone else, I'm loving the Bu Babies :laughing: I like the way you package them up too.

I have a pile of beads and bead caps at home from my beading days, but it never would have occurred to me to use them that way - clever!!!

I'm currently planning to make little chain mailled phone charms as a sig item. when I get some free time. will share them on here when I get around to it....

I think I'm going to have to go caching round Chesterfield to find a Bu Baby...

Any tips on uploading photos?

Another option, since you don't have an avatar, is to upload it to the geocaching.com site as your avatar. From the main site, go to "your profile", then "your account details", then "your avatar".