Can you show me pictures of your signature items?

A very interesting "sig item". This group claims to be with the person who created the Disney version of the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. That person apparently then drew this Beast on a postcard and dropped it in a cache. I made sure to trade very well for this one.

dlm2x3.jpg

Aw man, as a fan of animation and an artist myself, I gotta say I am insanely jealous of this. Glen Keane's artwork is amazing, and if this is real, the fact that he geocaches just makes me all kinds of happy. Whereabouts did you find that?

Glen Keane also did the animation and character designs for Ariel from The Little Mermaid and Tarzan, among many other characters!

Possibly the coolest signature item I have seen... Hint Hint... I might like to get one.

I might be willing to drop a few near the Canadian border but that's as far as I go...

Stupid new passport requirements!!

WooHoo ~ I'm in Ocean Shores, WA...that's not too far from the border. There is hope for me yet :blink:

Heya. You guys all have awesome sig items. :blink: My wife likes to work with clay, so that's the way we went. These are polymer clay, that she bakes in the oven, then sprays lacquer on. Qustion for other clay makers....How do you keep the lacquer from making them stick together?

DSC03054.jpg

Later!

What do you mean "Stick together". You mean like when they are still wet? I spray mine with lacquer too and leave them set aside on wax paper for a couple of days and haven't had a problem with them sticking together. Another thing I tried was the Polycrylic and it seemed to work ok too, but I have yet to do a durability test on them.

"Lacquer? We ain't got no lacquer. We don't need no lacquer! I don't have to show you any stinkin' lacquer!"

Seriously, all I do with my polymer clay sig tokens is bake them, write the GCxxxxx ID of the cache on them, and put them in a small ziplock bag.

These are polymer clay, that she bakes in the oven, then sprays lacquer on. Qustion for other clay makers....How do you keep the lacquer from making them stick together?

Try a few different brands, as some work better than others. I've run into spray finishes that leave crafts tacky. It sucks. So of the polyclay sealers/acquer/coating goes on really thick and peels off as well. :laughing:

Here is a link to using floor wax as a protective coating instead. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard it is cheap, easy, and gives a great finish. (I left the polyclay hobby before I found out about the wax option.)

A very interesting "sig item". This group claims to be with the person who created the Disney version of the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. That person apparently then drew this Beast on a postcard and dropped it in a cache. I made sure to trade very well for this one.

dlm2x3.jpg

Aw man, as a fan of animation and an artist myself, I gotta say I am insanely jealous of this. Glen Keane's artwork is amazing, and if this is real, the fact that he geocaches just makes me all kinds of happy. Whereabouts did you find that?

Glen Keane also did the animation and character designs for Ariel from The Little Mermaid and Tarzan, among many other characters!

It was from The Mummy's Treasure. I got it on 12.20.07. Based on the postcard, it was placed in the cache on 3.15.03 so it was in there for a while before I traded it.

It looks like Glen Keane left the postcard with the Beast on it and his father Bil Keane from "The Family Circus" fame placed an autographed book of the Family Circus cartoon in the cache. The book wasn't there when I was there and the cache wasn't in the best shape. There was water in it and it was cracked. Honestly, I'm surprised it is still there.

The log from the day the postcard was placed is from "TwoG's" and the cache is owned by "Two Guys and a Gayle". Bil's daughter/Glen's sister is named Gayle. There's also a Greg in the family. I'm not sure how exactly, but it all seems to be related somehow which would make sense since, according to Wikipedia, the Keane family moved to Paradise Valley, AZ (a couple miles down the road) in the 1950's.

My signature item(s) are hand-made chainmail things:

signatureitem.jpg

It takes less than a minute to make one, and the rings are cheap (cheaper still if you just buy a spool of wire and coil/cut it yourself). As well, they're interesting enough that people actively trade for them. I think there's one cacher who's said they have over 100 of them collected by now :P If you can't already tell, the big one is for regular caches, the smaller one is for micros, and the tiny guy is for nanos. I have yet to see a cache that I can't fit one of those into :P

Edited by Kabuthunk

signatureitem.jpg

It takes less than a minute to make one, and the rings are cheap (cheaper still if you just buy a spool of wire and coil/cut it yourself). As well, they're interesting enough that people actively trade for them. I think there's one cacher who's said they have over 100 of them collected by now :P If you can't already tell, the big one is for regular caches, the smaller one is for micros, and the tiny guy is for nanos. I have yet to see a cache that I can't fit one of those into :P

You're not suggesting that you have fit one of these into a nano blinkie are you??? Or a mini bison??? Trying to imagine any nano that I've seen fitting one as they pretty much are filled to the max with the log alone. :P

signatureitem.jpg

You're not suggesting that you have fit one of these into a nano blinkie are you??? Or a mini bison??? Trying to imagine any nano that I've seen fitting one as they pretty much are filled to the max with the log alone. :P

Not only has the tiny chainmail ball fit into those blinkies or mini bison tubes, but I've even gotten one into a hollowed-out bolt, and had one sitting sandwiched inbetween several sheets of log-paper behind a magnet. In each of those that I've seen (except the magnet), on either the cap or at the bottom of the container there's usually an 'indent' as the inside of the container tapers down to nothing. That, which the log scroll will not fit into, this ball will. It's maybe a millimeter thick at its thickest where the rings overlap.

For the blinkies for example, I'd typically sign the logscroll, roll it up, balance the nano ball on top of the log scroll and then screw it shut.

And technically, I have a few 'limited edition' titanium mobius balls that make the nano one here look big, just in case :). The rings are about 1/3rd the size in the titanium one. When I say I've never NOT left a signature item in a cache container, I mean it. Of course, this doesn't include virtuals or earthcaches since neither of those actually have a container or log to sign. If it has a log book/paper/something-to-sign, a chainmail ball has accompanied it. Also, I leave them at events for whoever is there to take :D

Edited by Kabuthunk

signatureitem.jpg

It takes less than a minute to make one, and the rings are cheap (cheaper still if you just buy a spool of wire and coil/cut it yourself). As well, they're interesting enough that people actively trade for them. I think there's one cacher who's said they have over 100 of them collected by now :P If you can't already tell, the big one is for regular caches, the smaller one is for micros, and the tiny guy is for nanos. I have yet to see a cache that I can't fit one of those into :)

Not only has the tiny chainmail ball fit into those blinkies or mini bison tubes, but I've even gotten one into a hollowed-out bolt, and had one sitting sandwiched inbetween several sheets of log-paper behind a magnet. In each of those that I've seen (except the magnet), on either the cap or at the bottom of the container there's usually an 'indent' as the inside of the container tapers down to nothing. That, which the log scroll will not fit into, this ball will. It's maybe a millimeter thick at its thickest where the rings overlap.

For the blinkies for example, I'd typically sign the logscroll, roll it up, balance the nano ball on top of the log scroll and then screw it shut.

And technically, I have a few 'limited edition' titanium mobius balls that make the nano one here look big, just in case :D. The rings are about 1/3rd the size in the titanium one. When I say I've never NOT left a signature item in a cache container, I mean it. Of course, this doesn't include virtuals or earthcaches since neither of those actually have a container or log to sign. If it has a log book/paper/something-to-sign, a chainmail ball has accompanied it. Also, I leave them at events for whoever is there to take :D

Still find it hard to imagine that there is that kind of space in the blinkie that I've got sitting in front of me as I just put a tiny slip of paper on top of the log, screwed the top on, unscrewed it and can clearly see the pressure markings on it from the lid. But I have to say honestly, that if I'd found one of these stuffed down into one of those taper tubes or such of mine...that I'd be ticked about it. I mean, clearly nanos weren't intended to have other stuff stuck in there! (yikes, one more thing to have to add to the cache description -- to not put anything else into the container!). :P

Don't worry about it. I avoid nanos at the best of times. And with the titanium thing, if your cache can't fit something not much thicker than the width of a human hair, eventual dampness or the sheer act of people writing on the paper are going to do far more than this will.

Edited by Kabuthunk

I would like to come up with a signature item for myself and was wondering what other people use. Can you show pictures of yours?

I just made these i may have put too much info on them but oh well i like them and they were fun to make- i hope they travel. ohh gez cant find how to post picts on here- you can check out my id chai_latte for the picts, sorry

Edited by chai_latte

signatureitem.jpg

Wow. Those are awesome. I would totally grab a big one first time I saw one to add to my sig item collection. Only thing is, I can't tell it's a sig item. Obviously sig items are totally at the discretion of the sig item owners so as long as you are cool with them that is all that matters. If you'll allow me to share an opinion though, I'd add that sig items are much more interesting when there is something labeling the item as a sig item with the name of the cacher whose sig item it is. If I came across your sig item I don't think I'd recognize it as such. Of course, that may not be your intention so who cares what I think. I guess I'm......just sayin'.

Loving the custom made ones! I used to do the whole get the fake plastic coins and use a soldering iron to burn KJ into them. Now we have just under a thousand wooden coins custom made by a promotion company. They are very well done although I'm unsure of the durability of the ink since they aren't engraved.

Below is a link to google picasa of an image of the front and back.

Iron Raptor Custom Wooden Coins

The back of the coin below the web address has enough room to write 3 - 6 names depending how long they are and how small you write.

My signature item(s) are hand-made chainmail things

I am amazed. I tried making chainmail (I make jewelry & stuff). It drove me bonkers! I've never been more frustrated in my life! All the links look the same to me while making it, so I was never getting the rings in the right places. And then heaven forbid you drop it! You'll never figure out which rings are which!

Excellent work!

Wow. Those are awesome. I would totally grab a big one first time I saw one to add to my sig item collection. Only thing is, I can't tell it's a sig item. Obviously sig items are totally at the discretion of the sig item owners so as long as you are cool with them that is all that matters. If you'll allow me to share an opinion though, I'd add that sig items are much more interesting when there is something labeling the item as a sig item with the name of the cacher whose sig item it is. If I came across your sig item I don't think I'd recognize it as such. Of course, that may not be your intention so who cares what I think. I guess I'm......just sayin'.

That's moreso the reason I'm leaving them 'unlabeled'... so that albeit it's my signature item, it's seen by others as a swag item more than anything else. Far, far too many times have I opened a cache (ie: most caches small size and up), to find that half of the 'swag' is all signature items... cards with people's names, poker chips, whatever homemade stuff. All fine and good, but it seems like there's far more signature item than there is non-signature swag.

With this seen possibly as more non-sig swag, I'm hoping that people trade for it moreso than sig items, and thus bring up the percentage of regular swag in the cache. At least around here it seems as though nobody trades for signature items... could just be a regional thing.

My signature item(s) are hand-made chainmail things

I am amazed. I tried making chainmail (I make jewelry & stuff). It drove me bonkers! I've never been more frustrated in my life! All the links look the same to me while making it, so I was never getting the rings in the right places. And then heaven forbid you drop it! You'll never figure out which rings are which!

Excellent work!

Thanks. If you want a quick look at what enough patience with chainmail eventually comes to, check out this item I've made :)

Also, when I place a cache, my FTF prize is usually a handmade titanium chainmail bracelet.

Edited by Kabuthunk

Here are some of the newest ones. I'm getting better.... slowly!!!!

FRONT

scan0005.jpg

The one on the LEFT is Green and Silver. The one on the Right is Black and Green

BACK

scan0006.jpg

I have had the hardest time, making them round. The stupid Clay "Cookie" Cutter I have is so flimsy that it bends really easily.

I have been looking all over for a sturdy circle cutter. I just went to Home Depot tonight and picked up a Copper Pipe Coupler. Hopefully that will keep things CIRCULAR.

dlm2x3.jpg

It was from The Mummy's Treasure. I got it on 12.20.07. Based on the postcard, it was placed in the cache on 3.15.03 so it was in there for a while before I traded it.

It looks like Glen Keane left the postcard with the Beast on it and his father Bil Keane from "The Family Circus" fame placed an autographed book of the Family Circus cartoon in the cache. The book wasn't there when I was there and the cache wasn't in the best shape. There was water in it and it was cracked. Honestly, I'm surprised it is still there.

The log from the day the postcard was placed is from "TwoG's" and the cache is owned by "Two Guys and a Gayle". Bil's daughter/Glen's sister is named Gayle. There's also a Greg in the family. I'm not sure how exactly, but it all seems to be related somehow which would make sense since, according to Wikipedia, the Keane family moved to Paradise Valley, AZ (a couple miles down the road) in the 1950's.

How fortuitous it is that this cache happens to be in Phoenix, AZ as I am going there in two weeks! I may have to add this one to the GPSr just to say I found it! Anyway, I'm getting off topic here, but thanks for the info!

If someone can tell me how to include a pic in my post, I'll show my signature item. I've done the search, and read what I could find on the subject, but to no avail. I keep getting a request for a URL when I try to insert a pic. I don't have online pic hosting. Is it required?

Thanks.

easiest way is to upload the pic to one of your own caches with a note, copy the Http: of the imgage loaction into the forum, then you can delete the note and picture from your cache.

or if like me your always adding stuff on the forums create a cache listing but never publish it and do all your pics onto that.

With this seen possibly as more non-sig swag, I'm hoping that people trade for it moreso than sig items, and thus bring up the percentage of regular swag in the cache. At least around here it seems as though nobody trades for signature items... could just be a regional thing.

Hey, I collect signature items, and I'm in your area (at least for now). Mind you, I'm selective about which signature items I trade for. I would LOVE to find one of Bitten's clay dragon chips, but Winnipeg is probably too far to hope to find one in a cache here, not to mention being on the other side of that passport-requiring border.

My favourite signature items are poker chips, wooden tokens, custom pins and any hand-made item like your chain-link balls. I don't collect the calling card type sig items though. I probably have a couple hundred items in my collection now.

They are glass pebbles from Hobbycraft. I have tried the black ones as well but they will be a limited edition (in other words they don't look as good and I won't be buying any more!) Then I am using porelain paints and baking them after painting so that the paint is durable.

They are glass pebbles from Hobbycraft. I have tried the black ones as well but they will be a limited edition (in other words they don't look as good and I won't be buying any more!) Then I am using porelain paints and baking them after painting so that the paint is durable.

Good thinking with the paint choice and bake! Most people wouldn't think of that and would just use regular acrylic.

Ohmerfam, your Geocaching Licenses are fab :blink: Are you aware of the existing Geocacher's License coins? They were produced a couple of years ago, and you could get your name engraved on them. I got a couple, here's one:

058aa1a0-56c9-4011-a6cf-9bc7859d59ce.jpg

Yours are really nice, I wouldn't mind buying one when they're ready :(

Edited by tonibunny

I have two signature items that I will distribute based on the size and quality of the cache.

My "big" prize is the custom GeoCaching Travel Tunes CD. It contains songs from many independent artists that I've had the fortune to meet over the years and consists of songs about places or travelling:

GeoCaching_Travel_Tunes.jpg

My new standard signature item is a guitar pick with my GeoCaching Logo imprinted on it. Just got a batch of 200 in yesterday and looking forward to starting distribution:

AcousticNut_Pick.jpg

Nice seeing other's sig items to start keeping an eye out!

If I find a regular or large cache, as long as the container is dry and in good shape I usually leave my signature item which is:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image...3&type=card

On the back of the card, I write my username and the date with a Sharpie.

I figure its a good way to spread knowledge of Magic: The Gathering and possibly meet fellow MTGers who also geocache.

Edited by joshism

I want one of everything! I want to share a picture of mine, but I don't have the picture hosted anywhere else - why can't we just add a picture?? ugghh. I was going to add a picture on one of my TB pages, but it's "down for mainteinance".

Whats is wrong with using one of the many public image hosts like tinypic?

I want one of everything! I want to share a picture of mine, but I don't have the picture hosted anywhere else - why can't we just add a picture?? ugghh. I was going to add a picture on one of my TB pages, but it's "down for mainteinance".

Whats is wrong with using one of the many public image hosts like tinypic?

Think I got it - I just didn't want to sign up for anything- this was easy - thanks!

http://i31.tinypic.com/2iivqrt.jpg[/img]]My Webpage

I know the feeling. I've been using public hosts for years. I may have to find a new one though, because tinypic just added stupid capchas to each upload. I loathe capchas.

You can usually just google "free image hosting" and find something to use in the future.

Glad I could help!

Your sig item looks nice.

I love all of these! especially the maille items, as I'm a mailler myself

what size wire / diameter rings are you using for those nano sized moby balls?

I have dabbled in so many crafts over the years, I have tons of materials at home that I could use to make sig items - it's just finding the time to design and execute something....hmmmm.....I need to have a think.