Geocaching NOT BANNED in Ohio's State Forests

Smokey'sBuddy

To the Geocaching Community,

Geocaching has NOT been banned in Ohio's State Forests. NO ONE WILL BE ARRESTED FOR GEOCACHING IN OHIO'S STATE FORESTS. For the past year, the Ohio Division of Forestry (DOF) has been evaluating its position regarding Geocaching. This evaluation process stems from several issues the DOF has encountered with caches on Ohio State Forest lands. The main issue revolves around the safety of the visiting public. Ohio's State Forests are working forests, where numerous management practices occur. These practices include commercial logging, prescribed fire and forest research to name a few. Cache's hidden in certain locations on State Forest lands pose a safety risk to the visiting public and the DOF is developing a Geocache Policy aimed at protecting visitors while still allowing the hobby you all enjoy.

The new policy is currently being drafted and will be available for public review/comment at all five state forest open houses to be held in July, 2010. Please visit the Division website, www.ohiodnr.com/forestry for the July dates and locations. The Geocache Policy WILL NOT be available for review/comment at the open house scheduled for June 2, 2010 in Athens.

I have spoken with numerous Geocacher's this week about the false report that Geocaching was being banned in Ohio's State Forests. I have found the Geocaching community to be warm, friendly and passionately committed to their hobby and the special places where caches are placed. I thank you all for your understanding and patience while we work through this issue. The Ohio Division of Forestry is committed to developing a policy that will provide for public safety and still allow for Geocaching at all 20 Ohio State Forests.

Sincerely,

Richard Lusk

Law Enforcement/Recreation Administrator

Ohio Division of Forestry

I hope you get this sorted out soon. We're some of your neighbors to the west and we're getting ready to schedule a week-long camping trip with our RV this fall. We're waffling between OH and MI and this could help sway our opinion. When we vacation, we love to do some caching, but we also spend tourist dollars for camping fees, area attractions, gas, food, etc. I appreciate your concerns - just wanted you to know it affects more than local folks. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Car54

This is wonderful news. Thanks for posting. We have been hearing this for many years now. Since 2007? It is true, they are trying to help us improve our sport. Chris Gruppenhoff ODNR helped with my earthcaches in Hocking Hills. He expressed great interest in helping to promote placement of physical caches in the forests. They really are working to find a solution. It's just not a priority. Patience!

If you have a wonderful spot for geaocaching on state or national forest make it an earthcache. They are quite fun. If you want to spend $50 a year, you can buy a permit to place a physical container.

RobJons

To the Geocaching Community,

Geocaching has NOT been banned in Ohio's State Forests. NO ONE WILL BE ARRESTED FOR GEOCACHING IN OHIO'S STATE FORESTS. For the past year, the Ohio Division of Forestry (DOF) has been evaluating its position regarding Geocaching. This evaluation process stems from several issues the DOF has encountered with caches on Ohio State Forest lands. The main issue revolves around the safety of the visiting public. Ohio's State Forests are working forests, where numerous management practices occur. These practices include commercial logging, prescribed fire and forest research to name a few. Cache's hidden in certain locations on State Forest lands pose a safety risk to the visiting public and the DOF is developing a Geocache Policy aimed at protecting visitors while still allowing the hobby you all enjoy.

The new policy is currently being drafted and will be available for public review/comment at all five state forest open houses to be held in July, 2010. Please visit the Division website, www.ohiodnr.com/forestry for the July dates and locations. The Geocache Policy WILL NOT be available for review/comment at the open house scheduled for June 2, 2010 in Athens.

I have spoken with numerous Geocacher's this week about the false report that Geocaching was being banned in Ohio's State Forests. I have found the Geocaching community to be warm, friendly and passionately committed to their hobby and the special places where caches are placed. I thank you all for your understanding and patience while we work through this issue. The Ohio Division of Forestry is committed to developing a policy that will provide for public safety and still allow for Geocaching at all 20 Ohio State Forests.

Sincerely,

Richard Lusk

Law Enforcement/Recreation Administrator

Ohio Division of Forestry