1st Geocoin Festival ...

PLnauta

... in Portugal :D

You are all invited to visit us in Lisbon for the PLnauta's First Geocoin Festival. We have allready 19 attendees, so beware GeocoinFest, i'm gonna get you :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5d-1689623fc49b

Seriously now.

The amount of Geocoin collectors are increasing in Portugal;

We have an enormous number of geocoins being produced (some have already done their debut here);

The Portuguese participants in this forum is also increasing.

Your mission, should you accept it is (ruffles please).

Nominate every geocoin produced in Portugal in 2009 and being produced/worked out/ planned in 2010 (until May).

You have until the end of May. The winner would be chosen by me among the best answers (most photos, more info, most research on the geocoin theme, the designer, more funny, etc...).

You can search info at: www.geocaching-pt.net and at www.geopt.org and specially asking portuguese geocoin collectors (find them out there).

The prize is a complete set of all Portuguese geocoins from 2010 (the ones already published and the others that are on the designers minds - i will send them along the year if needed - i must be crazy :rolleyes: ).

Some rules.

Portuguese are not allowed (sorry :D );

Everyone else can enter the cointest;

Have fun;

Paulo aka PLnauta

Sweet.... what a great cointest.... Thank YOu!

Alright... I don't speak portuguese... but I do speak a little bit of spanish (which helps I dont care what they say... it's good for everybody to know a little bit of romance languages).

I am going to try to gather some info on coins. I havn't found any yet for the time period that you mention, but I am sure that they are out there.

Thanks,

Goose

I have found some info, although I'm pretty sure there must be much more! Anyway, it seems like I'm not allowed to put more images in a post...

Figueira da Foz 2009

2929333460028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

Portucale

designer caixeiro_viajante

moedaportucale.jpg

Portucale, the first Geocoin dedicated to the city of Porto (Portugal). The city used to be called Cale and later Portucale.

The coin represents its history, its exlibris - the bridge over the Douro River and the famous Port wine. Idea and design by Koin Alchemy.

Size: 42 mm diameter, 3 mm thick in 3 finishes: Antique gold (limited to 30 coins), Black Nickel (limited to 50 coins) and Antique silver

This coin is trackable at Geocaching.com and has its own icon

(quote woejam)

CASTELO BRANCO GEOCOIN

produced by Geocoinstore

designer Geopate

2465632020028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

This geocoin has problems with too thin lines being covered with white enamel

Vamos reconstruir a Madeira

designer Kelux

333wye0.jpg

Part of the profits of the coin sale go to help rebuild Madeira after the floods

Geocoin Portugal 2009

produced by DirectMint

2TGC-08356A01-14pk.jpg

10 Years Geocoin - Versão Portuguesa (if that counts...)

minted by Oakcoins

design by Avroair

colours by Fraldinhas

5e12d972-9f3a-4634-a7ac-a499bb2af77e.jpg

9-9-9 Multi event, Portuguese edition

minted by Oakcoins

design by JackalGirl

(image won't show, link is http://gc-plzen.net/_images/BoTL/12EV999.gif)

Novos Descobridores

design by webxxi & PLnauta

Geocoin in conception

2414894570028999818S500x500Q85.jpg

Geocaching in Portugal since 2001

PLnauta held a cointest about this coin in August 2009

2211160300028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

Pre-historic Log Book of Coa Valley

minted by Landsharkz

concept by PLnauta & Landsharkz

timeline01.jpg

This geocoin showns some pre-historic drawings that covers a specific rock at Canada do Inferno in Northern Portugal at the Coa Valley (quote PLnauta)

Portuguese Geocoin - Torre de Belém

design by Touperdido (Rui Duque) and Mr.Tupper (Marco Ignace)

Only 100 pieces minted

2acd565ad6bc8296a502e311127f090d.jpg

Geocoin Portugal 2010 (in conception)

That's all for now, thanks for the cointest!

I have found some info, although I'm pretty sure there must be much more! Anyway, it seems like I'm not allowed to put more images in a post...

Figueira da Foz 2009

2929333460028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

Portucale

designer caixeiro_viajante

moedaportucale.jpg

Portucale, the first Geocoin dedicated to the city of Porto (Portugal). The city used to be called Cale and later Portucale.

The coin represents its history, its exlibris - the bridge over the Douro River and the famous Port wine. Idea and design by Koin Alchemy.

Size: 42 mm diameter, 3 mm thick in 3 finishes: Antique gold (limited to 30 coins), Black Nickel (limited to 50 coins) and Antique silver

This coin is trackable at Geocaching.com and has its own icon

(quote woejam)

CASTELO BRANCO GEOCOIN

produced by Geocoinstore

designer Geopate

2465632020028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

This geocoin has problems with too thin lines being covered with white enamel

Vamos reconstruir a Madeira

designer Kelux

333wye0.jpg

Part of the profits of the coin sale go to help rebuild Madeira after the floods

Geocoin Portugal 2009

produced by DirectMint

2TGC-08356A01-14pk.jpg

10 Years Geocoin - Versão Portuguesa (if that counts...)

minted by Oakcoins

design by Avroair

colours by Fraldinhas

5e12d972-9f3a-4634-a7ac-a499bb2af77e.jpg

9-9-9 Multi event, Portuguese edition

minted by Oakcoins

design by JackalGirl

(image won't show, link is http://gc-plzen.net/_images/BoTL/12EV999.gif)

Novos Descobridores

design by webxxi & PLnauta

Geocoin in conception

2414894570028999818S500x500Q85.jpg

Geocaching in Portugal since 2001

PLnauta held a cointest about this coin in August 2009

2211160300028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

Pre-historic Log Book of Coa Valley

minted by Landsharkz

concept by PLnauta & Landsharkz

timeline01.jpg

This geocoin showns some pre-historic drawings that covers a specific rock at Canada do Inferno in Northern Portugal at the Coa Valley (quote PLnauta)

Portuguese Geocoin - Torre de Belém

design by Touperdido (Rui Duque) and Mr.Tupper (Marco Ignace)

Only 100 pieces minted

2acd565ad6bc8296a502e311127f090d.jpg

Geocoin Portugal 2010 (in conception)

That's all for now, thanks for the cointest!

humm some of those were never minted ;)

Ok.... I did a research but I do not know if I found all the coins! I had a huge help from my friend Antonio (acasim) who told me the names of geocoins I was missing! Antonio my friend thank you soooo much!!! :P

Definatelly all the things I collected can not be in one post so you will see more than one post by me! In case I find a new coin I will refresh the list! :)

So.... here we go....

1) Torre Bellem geocoin:

torrebellem.jpg

It was minted in black nickel and in 100 pieces! Its price was 9.5 euros. Design by Touperdido & Mr.Tupper. It was made in 2009! Till now it shows the generic icon! 23.gif

The coin shows a beautiful tower that is also known as… the tower of St. Vincent!

628px-Torre_Belm_April_2009-4a.jpg

It is a Unesco world heritage site because of the significant role it played in the Portuguese maritime discoveries of the era of the Age of Discoveries. The tower was commissioned by King John II to be both part of a defense system at the mouth of the Tagus River and a ceremonial gateway to Lisbon. It was built in the early sixteenth century and is a prominent example of the Portuguese Manueline style, but it also incorporates hints of other architectural styles. The structure was built from lioz limestone and is composed of a bastion and the 30 meter (100 foot), four story tower. It has incorrectly been stated that the tower was built in the middle of the Tagus and now sits near the shore because the river was redirected after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. In fact, the tower was built on a small island in the Tagus River near the Lisbon shore. The tower was build somewhere between 1515 and 1521!

---------------------------------------

2) Prehistoric log book of Coa valley geocoin:

It was minted in 2009 too! We have 3 versions of this beautiful coin!

Black nickel /antique silver (or is it nickel?), a LE coin minted in 75 pieces and was sold only in the Portuguese forum!

coa-f.jpgthumbs_coa-b.jpg

Antique gold version, an other LE coin minted in 60 pieces and it was sold only in the online shop of PLnauta! (Am I correct? :) )

phAG.jpg

Antique silver version! This was the regulaer edition of the coin! It was minted in 175 pieces (I heard that it was 150 but then I found the 175 too… so..? )

coacoinAS.jpg

The idea of the coin was from Timeearth, the producers were PLnauta and Landsharkz and it was minted in Landsharkz! :cry:

The icon of the coin is: coaicon.gif

The coin shows the prehistori art engravings that were found in Coa valley!

799px-Rock_Art_Foz_Coa_01.jpg

The Côa Valley Paleolithic Art site is one of the largest known open air sites of Palaeolithic art. In the late 1980s, the engravings were discovered in Vila Nova de Foz Côa, in northeastern Portugal. The site in situated in the valley of the Côa river, and comprises thousands of engraved drawings of horses, bovines and other animal, human and abstract figures, dated from 22,000 to 10,000 years BCE. Since 1995, a team of archaeologists have been studying and cataloging this pre-historical complex and a park was created to receive visitors.

To be continued....

3) 09-09-09 cloud 9 multi event geocoin (Portuguese version):

999Portugal.jpg

Of course… it was minted in 2009! :cry:

It was minted in black nickel and with main colors red, grey! There were many coins in many areas of the world with the same design but with different color and metal variations to seperate them!

minted by Oakcoins and design by JackalGirl, but the Portuguese version was made by PLnauta! I do not know the mintage number of this version… was it ….36?

The icon for the coins is: 999icon.gif

--------------

4) Geocaching in Portugal since 2001 geocoin:

Minted in 2009 in 3 versions:

Black nickel (RE) geocachinginPort2001.jpg

black nickel + color (LE) colorBN.jpg

polished gold + color (LE) 2001pgF.jpg2001PGb.jpg

The color as you can see, was in the map of Portugal and it was amazing! The maker was Plnauta and it was minted at geocoinshop.de. The coin is beautiful and has dates from many historic events of the Portuguese Histoy! PLnaute held a cointest and he was asking to find that info! It was educating … I was one of the lucky winners and a RE version is mine now!! :)

In case you want to read more about the coin and the dates on it, you can see the thread of Paulo with the cointest: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=230361&hl=

History is so great! :P

The icon of the coins is: 2989.gif

To be continued....

Edited by GATOULIS

5) Geochurrascada 2009 geocoin:

This was an event geocoin! the event takes place every year! When the coin was made, the event was on September 19, 2009! :cry:

This is the event's broshure : geochurrascada2009poster.jpg

It will help you understand the coin and how it looks when it spins... (I think it spins...)

When I saw it I loved it!!! So pretty!!!! :cry:

This event is every year in September, from 2005? :P

The place is great, the food is excellent and the prices… fantastic! :)

The Montachique Park in Lisbon where the events are taking place has everything you want, with playgrounds, shadows, bar, toilets and lots of place to park your vehickle! :D

No… I haven’t been there… but googling is helpful! :)

The makers were probably the geochurrascada team who made the event too!

There were 2 versions of the coin:

Antique bronze (RE) : geochurrascada2009ABfront.jpggeochurrascada2009ABback.jpg

black nickel / antique silver (LE) : geochurrascada2009bnasfront.jpggeochurrascada2009bnasback.jpg

I am wondering if the LE was only for the participants of the event! :D

**I think there was a pathtag for the event too… (is it this one? )MEGA-Album.jpg

... but this is an other story! :cry:

Oh... this is the icon of the coin! geochurrascadaicon.gif

***too many photos doesn't allow me to post more, so....

I hope for your understanding!

to be continued....

6) Portucale geocoin

This coin was minted in February 2010! It is the first Geocoin dedicated to the city of Porto (Portugal). The city used to be called Cale and later Portucale.

Size: 42 mm diameter, 3 mm thick in 3 finishes:

Antique gold (limited to 30 coins) Portucale-AG-F.jpg

Black Nickel (limited to 50 coins) Portucale-BN-F.jpgPortucale-BN-B.jpg

Antique silver. Portucale-AS-F.jpgPortucale-AS-B.jpg

This info is from the maker I think (woejam ), but while I was searching in the place they are being sold (www.geocachingshop.nl), I found that there is an other version, the Antique copper XLE too!

Here it is: Portucale-AC-F.jpgPortucale-AC-B.jpg

This is its icon: portucala2010.gif

To be continued....

7) 10 years of geocaching Multi event geocoin (Portuguese version)

10anos_02.png10anos_01.png

It was minted in 2010 for the celebration events around the world for the 10 years of geocaching! Avroair and a cacher from Czech Republic had the idea and created the coin! There were 36 or 37 versions of it since there were events in many places! There were different color & metal combinations so you could identify from where a coin is!

The event had to be on May 1 or May 2 2010, It had to have the 10 years event in th tilte, at least 10 cachers had to be there and a video or a photo with a sign that it is from the event was needed to be post!

The Portuguese version : Metal: Black nickel with green and yellow colors

minted by Oakcoins, design by Avroair, colours by Fraldinhas, there were 150 pieces minted and the maker was PLnauta? :cry:

the icon for all the coins was the same: 10yearsicon.gif

-----------------------------------------

8) Castelo Branco Geocoin

castelobranco.jpg

Minted in 2010! Produced by Geocoinstore and the designer and maker (I think) was Geopate.

It was made in black nickel with white enamel the samples had some problems with the enamel, the lines of the design and an eye of one bird… but all were probably fixed! It is a beautiful and delicate coin! Well done!!

I am wondering if the design was inspired by..... these amazing mosaics.... :)

c3_CasteloBranco_jpg.jpgc3_CasteloBranco3_jpg.jpg

its icon is: castelobrancoicon.gif

9) Vamos reconstruir a Madeira geocoin

madeiracoin.jpg

2jdf9me.jpg

There was a question why the maker didn’t use the Madeira colors! Probably that is why you see 2 different color versions of the coin!

Minted in 2010 for a special reason! Recently there were floods in Madeira Island and there were many damages!

Here is the beautiful island....

Madeira.jpg

So… this coin was made to help reconstruct the island! I hope I understood well… the coin will cost 9 euros and from them, 1 euro will go to help the reconstruction of the Church that was destroyed there…

The designer is Rkelux, but in the geocoin forums was posted by ruidealmeida. At least that is what I found! So who is the maker? Both? Rkelux? Ruidealmeida?

While I was using the translator I realised that Madeira means Wood? Oh boy!!!

Many greeks are using the word Maderi for the flat wood that is in use to build a house.. to hold the cement ….. My mind never went in Madeira, but see… world is so small! :cry:

Edited to add this:

An other thing that is amazing (at least for me) is that the maker choosed the wave design aroung of the coin! It is in red and yellow and it is the outer design!

this design was one of the most famous in ancient Greece (right after the meander) and very polular in Rhodes island! It shows the waves of the sea but it is like a ying yang! You can see 2 waves! here is a photo of taken from a mosaic in the Grand master's palace in Rhodes!

rhodes1152825060mosaic.jpg

As you can see, in every white wave there is a black one! I think it was t show that the sea is generous and gives to us many of her treasures (food, transportation..) but she also has a dark side when she can take your life (especially if you do not respect her)!

I was trying ot find a photo of the mosaic complete but I couldn't! too bad that I do not have a scaner or something.... Many tourists do not take photos of this mosaic! It is in a small room of the palace but has its own history! the palace was firstly builded by the Knights of St john in 1309 but it was destroyed with an explosion in 1857 if I remember well! During the seige of Rhodes by the Turks in 1522, the knights (the grand master!) hide tons of gun powder in the church of St John, the main church of the knights where the Grand masters were burried! The city fell in Turkish hands, the knights left but none knew about the gunpowder for hundrents of years! During a thunder storm a night of 1857, a thunder hit the church and it went sdtraight where the gunpowder was! I have to say that the church was very very close to the palace!! There was a huge explosion and everything in a circle of 300m were damaged or collapsed! The church and the palace collapsed! When we had Italian occupation from 1912 until 1943, Italians rebuild the palace but not 100% as it was! they wanted to make a palace for their king, Victor Emmanuel III ! So in the 1930's they rebuild the palace! They enriched it with many things, furnitures, and even they put ancient mosaics that they had found in Rhodes or in Kos island!!!

Sorry about all this story but it was to explain about the mosaic!

In excavations in rhodes, they found a mosaic but it was saved only the border where the waves were!

In excavations in Kos island they found a mosaic with a Thyrsus, the stick symbol of God Dionysus! Only the thursus was saved so... they joined these 2 mosaics into one and put it inthe palace!! the mosaics are not from the same period (I think the Rhodian is Hellinistic and the one from Kos is from the Roman period... I do not remember well...), and as I said, they are not even from the same island!!! They were from different State cities!!!

but... it worked! :P

----------------------------------------

10) Geocoin Portugal 2009

The geocoin will be produced by DirectMint, and the price is 8 euros each geocoin.

I think it is in production now! The maker is Maxado! It will have its icon but It is probably not out yet!

Characteristics of the geocoin:

- 65 x 50 mm; 4 mm thickness (3,5mm side plus 0,5mm for the 3D that'll be higher than the sides)

- Colors in Imitation Hard Enamel

- Each geocoin in a PVC pouch.

- 60 geocoins in Black Nickel/Antique Silver (LE); 240 geocoins in Antique Silver (RE)

Here is how it will look like: portugal2009.jpg

The coin shows Camões the most famous portuguese poet on the front!

camoes.jpg

Luís Vaz de Camões sometimes rendered in English as Camoens; c. 1524 – June 10, 1580 is considered Portugal's, and the Portuguese language's, greatest poet. His mastery of verse has been compared to that of Shakespeare, Vondel, Homer, Virgil, and Dante. He wrote a considerable amount of lyrical poetry (in Portuguese and in Spanish) and drama but is best remembered for his epic work Os Lusíadas (The Lusiads). His recollection of poetry The Parnasum of Luís de Camões was lost in his lifetime.

------------------------------------------------

11) Figueira da Foz 2009 geocoin

Maker: Diogosergio

There will be produced 150 coins (100 Normal and 50 Limited versions).

Probably the number of the coins is small! :)

Not sure about the plating and colours yet! The maker is waiting for some samples to choose from. But... here is how it will look like...

FFoz2009-01.png2929333460028999818S600x600Q85.jpg

The front of the coin has the city iconic clock tower, that is located on the main beach and some artwork about the sun and nature that shows what turns our city so beautiful.

The backside with some inspiration from Arabic art, its about the sea, the nets from the fishermen, the waves and on its center the official symbol of the city.

Figueira da Foz, also known as Figueira for short, is a city of the district of Coimbra, in Portugal.

It is located at the mouth of the Mondego river, 40 km west of Coimbra, and sheltered by hills (Serra da Boa Viagem).

The city proper has a population of 46,600 and the municipality has in total 62,601 inhabitants.

It is the second largest city in the district of Coimbra.

It is a coastal city with several beaches, summer and seaport facilities in the Atlantic Ocean coast.

As a city of tourism it plays an important part in the centre of the country.

A zone of legal gambling, one can find in Figueira one of the biggest casinos of the Iberian Peninsula – the Casino Peninsular.

Most of the geocoins will be sold in the Portuguese Forums of Geocaching.

But he will save some geocoins to sell internacionally on this forum.

The maker didn’t want to skip the 2009 year so he minted the coin now and later in this year we will see the 2010 version too! :)

To be continued.... Do not worry... I am ending... :D

Edited by GATOULIS

12) Figueira da Foz 2010 geocoin

The coin will be minted this year too!

The maker will probably be Diogosergio! :P

No other information yet!

----------------------------

13) Geocoin Portugal 2010

This coins is in planning!

------------------------------------

These are.....not yet planed or they stayed as an idea.... who knows what the future will bring! :)

14) Novos descobridores geocoin….

novosdescobridores-1.jpg

The design was made by webxxi & PLnauta! It is in Geocoin in conception but for some months now it is not moving…. Maybe the design was frozen for now….

I think webxxi & Plnauta have broken apart a few months ago, they are not working together so...maybe that is the reason that the project is frozen!

I hope Paulo my friend that it is ok about it... if not I can remove this info!

------------------

15) Geochurrascada 2010 geocoin!

Not sure if it will be minted, but since there was a 2009 coin… they might want to create one for the 2010 event that will be held on September 18th of 2010! :cry: So it will not be until the and of May as you asked...

The event will be at The Montachique Park as usual and will start at 11:00 and will end with the end of the day! In case you will be there…. Try to be at the main area at 15:00 when they will try to take the photo! :D

In case I find more I will post again!!! :D

Once again I have to Thank Acasim for his great help!!!! :)

Edited by GATOULIS

novosdescobridores-1.jpg

The design was made by webxxi & PLnauta! It is in Geocoin in conception but for some months now it is not moving…. Maybe the design was frozen for now….

I think webxxi & Plnauta have broken apart a few months ago, they are not working together so...maybe that is the reason that the project is frozen!

------------------

The project is not frozen :( it's a work in development :laughing:

novosdescobridores-1.jpg

------------------

The project is not frozen :( it's a work in development :laughing:

really??? :D That's great news!!!! :D It is a lovely design but I can not read the tiny words in the arrows of the compass! Are they saying... East, West, North, South, Southwest, Southeast Northwest , Northeast? :(

It will become a lovely coin!!! :D

WOW,WOW, WOW!!!

Gatoulis gets an AAA++++ for research!!!

All these coins are fabulous!!!

I especially enjoyed the Pre-historic Logbook of Coa Valley,

Castelo Branco, Geochurrascada and Torre Bellem.

The best part of all the coins is not only their beauty, but they all represent historical aspects of Portugal.

My wish is, that through the geocaching community, their beauty and significance can be shared with the whole world!!

It is a shame that some people in this world do not appreciate the fact that if it were not for the past we would have no future.

Judging from the art, we will be graced with more amazing coins soon!!

Thank you to all the designers, minters and collectors who make all

the magic happen and spread the joy to others!!!!

Safe and happy caching and coining to all!!!

GeoCharmer81 (AKA Kelly) from Northeast Ohio, USA

Edited by GeoCharmer81

;) Thank you GeoCharmer81! :P

I love coins with historic backgound too! It is a good way to learn some history for other places too! :)

now....

BREAKING NEWS...... BREAKING NEWS....

The beautiful Castelo Branco Geocoin is already sold out only in the Portuguese community forum!!! there were probably only 80 coins made!

Hopes to own a coin may still exist.... T@ndre will contact the owner to see if he has more! He will keep us updated! :D

***Info taken by a recent post of T@ndre! :(

Thank you T@ndre my friend for posting that! :D

Edited by GATOULIS

In case this cointest is not finished....

The geocoin, Portugal 2010 is already on going! Most probably by the end of this month we will see the design of it!

With the help or my friend T@ndre, I saw a thread with the proposals of the coin! Many great and beautiful designs so the Portuguese will choose the one for the Portugal 2010 geocoin!

since they are still proposals, I will not post the designs here! I hope you understand... but I am sure we will soon see the winning design! :)

Edited by GATOULIS
The designer is Rkelux, but in the geocoin forums was posted by ruidealmeida. At least that is what I found! So who is the maker? Both? Rkelux? Ruidealmeida?

They are a single person... but like in Geocaching, Kelux are a team of three, lately I decided to add an R... from Rui.

Best wishes

PS: Great research!

Edited by ruidealmeida

Suits me just fine!

My guess is it was too demanding a cointest for many participants. I mean, roam foreign language forums, juggle with online translators, or get info from locals... (which I didn't do, just not my thing)

And quite time-consuming as well. I'm glad it started when it did, because now time's a lot tighter!

A tie! :D

I just saw the new posts! :D

No problem! But we have to see what we will take how to split the coins with my Swiss friend mar-elendili! :ph34r:

I asked for help from Portuguese friend geocachers! I was missing 1-2 coins! and I got the names of the coins and some mintages!

then I started googling, translating, etc for some days until I managed to collect all this info! :ph34r: I was even updating some posts with newer info! :P

In one of my editds, I made a mistake! I added info for the waves of Figueira da fox 2009, in the section of Madeira coin! :) well... :blink:

I saw some beautiful coins from Portugal! So a big BRAVO to you The Portuguese!!!! During a search for a coin that the design is still under voting... (there are designs to choose), I saw 2 banknotes of Portugal too! :D When they had the Escudos! ;) The one I have in my collection was in the photo!!! the 20 esc!! :D