Watch a GPS IIF Launch Live 5.21.10

Sorry for the short notice but mission is GO tomorrow.

For those interested, ULA is launching the first GPS IIF satellite and you can view it here:

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/Multimedia_Webcast.shtml

More information on the Delta Launch Vehicle and the payload can be read on the site as well as the launch window time (Friday night, PDT).

"Date/Launch Time Site: May 21, with a launch window of 11:25 - 11:43 p.m. EDT from Space Launch Complex-37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla."

Enjoy!

Edited by Team Geo-Rangers

Cool - would new satellites such as this work with existing receivers?

Nope. All of the existing GPS units have to be turned over to the Government and new ones purchased. /jk :rolleyes:

The economy and commerce of many industries in the U.S. and other countries have billions of dollars invested in GPS devices and knowing where things are. As a result any new technology that is launched into orbit for the purpose of Global Positioning would most likely be compatible with older technology, unless it's something that's specifically for use by a select group (like the military).

I asked something about that in the GPS and Technology forum.

It will broadcast the existing signals, as well as the new L5 signal. Existing equipment will still work, though you will not reap any advantages of the new signal that is supposed to be cleaner (less noise in that frequency band), more accurate and all that.

Too bad I won't be able to catch this live... fortunately there's always YouTube :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it. I love watching rocket launches.

You might enjoy this then, if you haven't seen it before:

Saturn V Launch in slow motion

It's from a very unusual perspective, and slowed down so you can see a lot of interesting details.

While in the Air Force I was assigned to Cape Canaveral during the first GPS satellite launches in the 80s and early 90s. Even worked on the Delta launch pads from where those birds lifted off.

Right, there was a telemetry issue, resolved it and resumed the count, then had another hold, which resulted in running out of time with respect to the launch window, so tune in again tomorrow! These things happen. :)

Well, it *is* rocket science.

Sorry, but someone had to say it ;)

Rescheduled again, to Sunday night.

Date/Launch Time/Site: May 23, with a launch window of 11:17 - 11:35 p.m. EDT from Space Launch Complex-37, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.

It appears to be a sliding window, one day at a time!

Now Sonny and Sandy can announce it on the PodCacher podcast weekly show:

Date/Launch Time Site: UPDATE - May 23, 6 p.m. EDT: The launch attempt of the United Launch Alliance Delta IV with the Air Force's Global Positioning System IIF SV-1 satellite (GPS IIF SV-1) has been scrubbed for tonight. Mission managers require additional time to validate the modified approach to monitor the Global Positioning System satellite telemetry signal. The Delta IV rocket and GPS IIF SV-1 satellite are safe and secure at this time. The next launch attempt has been set for Monday with a launch window of 11:13-11:31 p.m. EDT. The weather forecast calls for an 80 percent chance of acceptable weather during the launch window.

These launch delays are killing me. Last night they got down to seven seconds to go and aborted just before lighting the engines. They'll try again on Thursday. BTW, here's my favorite site for space flight info.

Close but no lit cigar?

Agree, it's a good site and was planning to post their reference that describes additional detail on what happened to prevent this launch yesterday:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d349/status.html

Feel empathy for the mission managers and engineers involved - they are getting too good at exercising corrective action plans! Know how they feel; RCCA exercises can be painful with all the customers providing oversight and insight. The good news is that they never achieved a point in their count down where hardware was fully committed, causing a refurbishment, and a much longer delay ...

A GPS SV launch is not a cheap endeavor (~$50M+) so everything that can be done, should be done, given the pucker factor. The words hold, hold, hold are more welcome than having the range safety officer push the proverbial "detonate button," post launch! In that case, he's the only one that gets to celebrate doing his job. :)

Aborts are necessary given the alternative just provided. It won't be long for our GPS constellation to get a much needed upgrade! :cry:

Here guys, I think this should hold you over until the launch! ->

Since we are all still watching the cartoon shorts before tomorrow's main feature and this has nothing to do with GPS, two more clips for your entertainment:

1) Airborne Laser Test:

http://www.mda.mil/global/videos/altb/vm42...b_11_feb_10.wmv

2) Two launches on the same day:

http://www.mda.mil/global/videos/gmd/ftg05_medrel_small.wmv

What goes up ... can be shot down! :drama:

As of the last report I got, everything is going nominally. They should be uplinking ephemeris by now, if it has not already been done.

Read somewhere that the SV achieved orbit and the first signal from it was received at a ground reference station in Diego Garcia.

The new GPS IIF satellites bring key improvements, including a more jam-resistant military signal, a new civil signal to enhance commercial aviation and search-and-rescue operations, and significantly improved signal accuracy as more of these new satellites go into operation.

The GPS IIF-1 satellite will undergo months of on-orbit tests, including functional testing of its payloads and end-to-end system testing to verify operability with older GPS satellites, ground receivers, and the ground control system.

It is currently designated to be SV #62 on your hand held GPS receiver, once operational. Next launch is slated for ~15 November.

As for this successful launch, a great way to celebrate the 50th anniversary for delta rockets.

The GPS IIF-1 satellite will undergo months of on-orbit tests, including functional testing of its payloads and end-to-end system testing to verify operability with older GPS satellites, ground receivers, and the ground control system.

It is currently designated to be SV #62 on your hand held GPS receiver, once operational. Next launch is slated for ~15 November.

The on-orbit tests should be a month or less.

SV 62 (or SVN62) is the permanent designator. It will be using PRN 25 (this assignment could change, but that is not likely). 25, not 62 will be the number you see on your GPS receiver.

Edited by Egnix

Once there enough of the IIFs in orbit and functioning and we have GPSr equipment to receive both frequencies - there will be no need for the WAAS satellite.

Both?: L1, L2 are baseline and L5 is the latest frequency that the new SV provides ... takes about 90 days on orbit to functionally check out before they declare the SV operational.

Looking forward to another launch!

Both?: L1, L2 are baseline and L5 is the latest frequency that the new SV provides ... takes about 90 days on orbit to functionally check out before they declare the SV operational.

Looking forward to another launch!

I'm assuming he meant L2C and L5 when he said "both".

BTW, 90 days isn't the average checkout time. The last bunch of IIR(M)s were around 2 weeks. Obviously they want to do and extended checkout with IIF-1 as it is the first of its kind, but I don't think 90 days will become the new norm.

The next launch is scheduled for 11/17, but I don't expect that date to hold.