Picture of the new GPSMap 62 serie :)

In a way, you are right. BUT, I, being a hardcore Garmin owner (have owned 3 different units, just bought a Nuvi today), am less inclined to buy the GPSMAP 62 because the features don't match the price point (my biggest deal is the lack of cards for expandability). I can step into a DeLorme PN-60 for $50-70 less (CDN) than I can the equivalent 62s model. I think that Garmin may have blown it with this 62 series release by this oversight and might not have the same repeat "buy it 'cuz it's new" customers. Like I mentioned, I am one of those customers, and have been awaiting this release to update my GPSMAP 60Cx. :blink:

Truth be told, the only reasons the 62 will be priced so high is because 1) It's new. and 2) Garmin knows it will sell like hotcakes.

In a way, you are right. BUT, I, being a hardcore Garmin owner (have owned 3 different units, just bought a Nuvi today), am less inclined to buy the GPSMAP 62 because the features don't match the price point (my biggest deal is the lack of cards for expandability). I can step into a DeLorme PN-60 for $50-70 less (CDN) than I can the equivalent 62s model. I think that Garmin may have blown it with this 62 series release by this oversight and might not have the same repeat "buy it 'cuz it's new" customers. Like I mentioned, I am one of those customers, and have been awaiting this release to update my GPSMAP 60Cx. :blink:

Truth be told, the only reasons the 62 will be priced so high is because 1) It's new. and 2) Garmin knows it will sell like hotcakes.

Well the market will correct the price over time and I think we'll see the 62 fall inline with other comparable units like the PN-60. The first release is always going to be expensive, but once Garmin gets a feel for how many they are selling, they'll adjust the price accordingly. Obviously, if we don't feel the value is there then Garmin will know to lower the price in order to sell more.

So really, unless you're dead set on buying it day one and have the dough to burn, you've got nothing to worry about.... unless you absolutely NEED the bragging rights, lol :(

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

MUST RESIST THE TECHONLUST!!! DO . . . NOT . . GIVE . . . IN . . . TO.......TEMPTATION!!!! :blink::(:D

So really, unless you're dead set on buying it day one and have the dough to burn, you've got nothing to worry about.... unless you absolutely NEED the bragging rights, lol :o

MUST RESIST THE TECHONLUST!!! DO . . . NOT . . GIVE . . . IN . . . TO.......TEMPTATION!!!! :mad::P:D

So really, unless you're dead set on buying it day one and have the dough to burn, you've got nothing to worry about.... unless you absolutely NEED the bragging rights, lol :D

Too late - already pre-ordered a 62s. :blink:

Quote from GPSfix:

"Astute readers may notice that the 62 does not appear to have an external antenna (MCT) or 4-pin Garmin serial connector like the GPSMAP 78."

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the 62 series has BOTH a 4 pin connector and external antenna connection. It looks like a rubber flap above the battery compartment (notice there is a notch on the left side that appears to be indicating a covering of some sort). I know there has been talk of the new 62 series not having these ports but It looks to me to be the contrary. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

gpsmap62-rear.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

I have confirmed that the 62s and 62st will have the MCX connector, 62 will not. There will not be a 4-pin Garmin serial/power connector on any of the 62's. Sorry for the confusion, I looked at the 62 page thinking they would all be the same!

My posts have been corrected.

... There will not be a 4-pin Garmin serial/power connector on any of the 62's. ...

That's bad news as it probably means that the 62s will need 5VDC (i.e. USB) for external power. The 60CSx was a favourite with off-roaders as, among other things, it could be wired into the 12V system. The previous generations (Etrex) needed 3VDC and the external convertors failed regularly (probably due to vibration).

Edited by Bob Morphew

... There will not be a 4-pin Garmin serial/power connector on any of the 62's. ...

That's bad news as it probably means that the 62s will need 5VDC (i.e. USB) for external power. The 60CSx was a favourite with off-roaders as, among other things, it could be wired into the 12V system. The previous generations (Etrex) needed 3VDC and the external convertors failed regularly (probably due to vibration).

Unless they dropped the feature, it should be able to run on the usb connector. My 76CSx runs just fine with the usb cable plugged in with no batteries in the unit.

You can hardwire and power it with 8 to 36 V with this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668

... You can hardwire and power it with 8 to 36 V with this:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668

Thanks - I missed that. It looks like the GPS will still need 5VDC but the Garmin cable has a voltage regulator built in so the actual wires go to the 12VDC. That's much better than the cables that have the regulator built into a cigarette-lighter-type plug, as these don't work well on off-road bikes.

That would be super cool. :laughing: I'd love to see this thing in person! I've heard that WAAS doesn't really effect the far north favorably.

We'll have to go out for coffee sometime - I'll bring it along to show off. I'm hoping that I get it before my Yellowknife trip July 12th. This will be a real challenge to see if WAAS gives me any accuracy up there.

I'm interested in the 62st but I'll wait for some reviews to see how it stacks up to my venerable 60CSx. I bought that stupid thing 5 years ago and it's still going strong as ever. There's a reason they're still commanding $200 after 5 years while other models/brands drop in price or off the face of the map in no time comparatively.

Touch screen models are no-go for me. I bushwhack too much.

Based on the information currently available about the 62 series,what are the qualities that make it an irresistible purchase? From what I've discerned,it's just an updated 60 series with a few extra bells and whistles! For the most part,those same features can already be found in the Oregon and Dakota series and to a lesser extent,the now dead and buried Colorado.

Edited by flyjazz

Based on the information currently available about the 62 series,what are the qualities that make it an irresistible purchase? From what I've discerned,it's just an updated 60 series with a few extra bells and whistles!

I've been following this post all along and although I'm excited for the new unit I don't think I will be able to justify the price. The biggest benefit to me would be the paperless caching. The Birds Eye View and new mapping capabilities are nice but unfortunately all of those things are not worth shelling out $550 to me. I'll just have to wait around until the price of the 62st comes back down into the $300-$350 range. This is just my opinion though.

Based on the information currently available about the 62 series,what are the qualities that make it an irresistible purchase? From what I've discerned,it's just an updated 60 series with a few extra bells and whistles!

I've been following this post all along and although I'm excited for the new unit I don't think I will be able to justify the price. The biggest benefit to me would be the paperless caching. The Birds Eye View and new mapping capabilities are nice but unfortunately all of those things are not worth shelling out $550 to me. I'll just have to wait around until the price of the 62st comes back down into the $300-$350 range. This is just my opinion though.

Why waste money on the 62st when you can get excellent Topo maps for free save the extra money and just get the 62s or if your dead set on spending the money. Send me the differnce and I'll load maps on your 62s for you.

I...opting for the 62s instead of the 62st... and can wait a month after release, I'm betting it will hit your price range.
Ah, someone else "gets it." I'm a bit surprised by the folks unhappy with the 62st MSRP. Street price on the 62s after it's been out a while will be the thing to look at. Edited by lee_rimar
Why waste money on the 62st when you can get excellent Topo maps for free save the extra money and just get the 62s or if your dead set on spending the money. Send me the differnce and I'll load maps on your 62s for you.

As I understand it, the free topo maps don't have DEM shading (which a lot of people really like.) Also, with the 62st, you apparently get ALL of the US in only 450 segments, which allows plenty of available "map segment space" for other maps.

I'm just pointing out that there are differences involved. Whether or not these differences are worth the money is a subjective question, but getting the free topo maps does not offer an identical experience to purchasing the more expensive versions of the unit.

Larry

I use a iPhone 3gs as my primary GPS device, and its works great when there are easy caches, much thank to Google satellite maps. But the position is sometimes spot-on and other time waaaay off and the "arrow" movies. Something really annoying. And under heavy vegetation I dont get a signal at all, well a weak one. And the largest issue is that the "arrow" dont always moves, its halted for a few min some times. And also, the battery time on the iphone with gps on is baaaaad.

So the question is now. Will I find the caches easier with a 62s and will my position be absolute and not move when I'm standing at a specific spot?

I think i would really miss the google sat maps with a real gps.

How well does the barometric altimeter works? those it works better then the gps, that may gives 20-30 meter errors. :anibad:

How good is the maps in the 62ST model, are they enough for geocaching?

I bought a Colorado and brought it back. It ate batteries and regularly froze, requiring me to remove the batteries and restart the thing. I bought the GPSMAP 62S and love it more and more each day. It had a few things that I considered to be issues but once I learned more about the unit, I could resolve the issues. AKA There were issues with me, not with the unit - it has a steep learning curve. It does all that the Colorado did, without the freezing up. I'm very happy with it.

Reading this, I am rather disappointed with Garmin.

They should have created Colorado II, add/improve the following

Hardware:

- USB 2.0 (USB 1.0 is so slow)

- support for SDHC cards, up to 32GB

- 3 axis compass

- perhaps camera, MP3 player, LED flashlight

Software

- add all the missing features from Oregon and GPSMap series

- add some new features

- optional landscape mode

=> Perfect rugged non-touch screen GPS

I believe that 62/78 is step up from their predecessors but step down from Colorado - small screen, complicated controls (I had GPSMap 76CSx for two years before Colorado so I know what I am talking about)

I am probably going to get Colorado 400i (~$200) as second/backup unit and wait till Garmin come back to their senses and comes up with something really new or resurects Colorado.

It does all that the Colorado did, without the freezing up. I'm very happy with it.

If you had waited a month, the Colorado would have been fine. All those issues were fixed years ago.

I've had a Colorado since March of 2008. It's been a good performer and rock-solid since I purchased it. Never really understood why Garmin has to be so inconsistent with it's new products,just look at the thread on the 62.

I have an Oregon 550 and a 60Cx.

I would have SERIOUSLY looked at this one over the 550.

I am assuming it will retain the extenal antenna port which I really miss on the Oregon.

Here is hoping they don't have the teething issues the Oregon and Colorado did. The 60Cx series had a lot of issues when it was released.

Hope you can help, I am working with local VA rec therapists getting set up to use Geocaching as an outdoor activity. Problem is they bought a maps60cx and I am not familiar with it. I cannot figure out how to download pq's, just been downloading one cache at a time via the icon in the right. Any help?

I have an Oregon 550 and a 60Cx.

I would have SERIOUSLY looked at this one over the 550.

I am assuming it will retain the extenal antenna port which I really miss on the Oregon.

Here is hoping they don't have the teething issues the Oregon and Colorado did. The 60Cx series had a lot of issues when it was released.

Hope you can help, I am working with local VA rec therapists getting set up to use Geocaching as an outdoor activity. Problem is they bought a maps60cx and I am not familiar with it. I cannot figure out how to download pq's, just been downloading one cache at a time via the icon in the right. Any help?

Is there a particular reason you dredged up a long dormant thread that is totally unrelated to your question? It seems if you posted your question in a new thread it would be better for all concerned.

I have an Oregon 550 and a 60Cx.I would have SERIOUSLY looked at this one over the 550.I am assuming it will retain the extenal antenna port which I really miss on the Oregon.Here is hoping they don't have the teething issues the Oregon and Colorado did. The 60Cx series had a lot of issues when it was released.

I used to use the 60CSX. The only way that I know to load it is by using GSAK. I have heard that there are ways to load it using Mapsource but honestly I've never tried it that way.

If you have GSAK, I'll be happy to help you figure it out. Otherwise, someone else is going to have to chime in with alternative ways to load a pocket query into the 60CSX.

Good luck!