Picture of the new GPSMap 62 serie :)

Ahem. Usually I can let my "MS-DOS" lead me straight to the cache, while my buddy typically stops short and starts swearing at his "advanced" unit instead.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find another conversation.

Your buddy might be using his GPS wrong or not have the setting optimal. The defaulkt setting are not the best. I've been running a Colorado for 2 years and normally cache with other people. I never need to stop when approaching a cache and zero out as fast as anyone else. I have many years using a 60csx and I don't find any difference in the speed and ease of finding zero with the CO. The big plus is being able to quickly and easily read the information while navigating to the cache. Come out caching with me, you will see.

What I can't figure out is the nature of the original post. How did these photos/ads appear in a Canadian "flyer" (I guess) and nowhere else? Nothing is official on the Garmin web site. How does anybody know this is for real at all? I'm not suspicious of the original poster (I could never suspect someone named "BeerMan"), but I am suspicious of the photos/ad in the Radio World flyer. Why would Garmin first announce a new product there?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, Looks like those Crazy Cannucks had and inside edge after all. Eh?

Yay! We know the specs now! Mapping rocks, sweet old timey form factor, quad helix high sensitivity madness, paperless geocaching!

cf-lg.jpg

sc-01-lg.jpg

sc-03-lg.jpg

sc-05-lg.jpg

The one glaring oversight - 2000 waypoint (geocache?) limit. :) WHAT?!

L+A+M+E! :unsure:

Edited by geojibby

Hmm is it just me or does it say it does NOT accept SD Memory cards....That seems pretty dumb if its true even if it has 1.7g of space on it....

Honestly if this thing is not available for under $300 I dont see the point, My Colorado will do all it can plus quite a bit more.

Hmm is it just me or does it say it does NOT accept SD Memory cards....That seems pretty dumb if its true even if it has 1.7g of space on it....

Honestly if this thing is not available for under $300 I dont see the point, My Colorado will do all it can plus quite a bit more.

62s and 62st support SD cards, 62 does not.

GO$Rs

Total bummer on no data cards for the 62. :unsure: Price point on the 62s is $50 more than DeLorme's new un-yet released PN-60. Plus the DeLorme has double+ on board memory. This may be a substantial blow to Garmin for DeLorme. :unsure:

I'm totally chapped about the no cards thing. That said, if I look at how much of my 2GB map card I'm actually using on my Cx, it's about 1.3GB... so maybe not such a big deal. :)

Although at the higher end price wise, it is possible that with the 60-series reputation, the 62-series could achieve similar status and sales. Right now, I'm focusing on the 62s for future purchase to eventually replace my faithful 60csx.

The addition of paperless caching is the main selling point for me. I think it was smart of Garmin to retain the quad-helix antenna. The customized mapping possibilities appear to keep expanding. I'm not sure that the 62st topo map is worth the additional $100, though I'm certainly open to considering other opinions. A touchscreen on a handheld GPSr isn't something I desire, though I realize I may be in the minority, especially with all the Oregon owners.

Edited by Teach2Learn

The touch screens across the GPSr board have big weaknesses. I'd much rather have the non-touch screen for readability outside. I'm excited for this 60 series update. It looks great and has some sweet features. But I agree the pricing is weird. I'd pay $350 for the 62 model IF it had memory cards for expansion. If indeed it doesn't, then I'm looking at the DeLorme's new Earthmate PN-60. :(

A touchscreen on a handheld GPSr isn't something I desire, though I realize I may be in the minority, especially with all the Oregon owners.

Reading this, I am rather disappointed with Garmin.

They should have created Colorado II, add/improve the following

Hardware:

- USB 2.0 (USB 1.0 is so slow)

- support for SDHC cards, up to 32GB

- 3 axis compass

- perhaps camera, MP3 player, LED flashlight

Software

- add all the missing features from Oregon and GPSMap series

- add some new features

- optional landscape mode

=> Perfect rugged non-touch screen GPS

I believe that 62/78 is step up from their predecessors but step down from Colorado - small screen, complicated controls (I had GPSMap 76CSx for two years before Colorado so I know what I am talking about)

I am probably going to get Colorado 400i (~$200) as second/backup unit and wait till Garmin come back to their senses and comes up with something really new or resurects Colorado.

Hardware:

- 3 axis compass

Software

- add some new features

I believe that 62/78 is step up from their predecessors but step down from Colorado - small screen, complicated controls (I had GPSMap 76CSx for two years before Colorado so I know what I am talking about)

I am probably going to get Colorado 400i (~$200) as second/backup unit and wait till Garmin come back to their senses and comes up with something really new or resurects Colorado.

can't see any points for "camera, MP3 player, LED flashlight", or you need to change battery every one hour :laughing:

Although at the higher end price wise, it is possible that with the 60-series reputation, the 62-series could achieve similar status and sales. Right now, I'm focusing on the 62s for future purchase to eventually replace my faithful 60csx.

The addition of paperless caching is the main selling point for me. I think it was smart of Garmin to retain the quad-helix antenna. The customized mapping possibilities appear to keep expanding. I'm not sure that the 62st topo map is worth the additional $100, though I'm certainly open to considering other opinions. A touchscreen on a handheld GPSr isn't something I desire, though I realize I may be in the minority, especially with all the Oregon owners.

But then your just buying it because you think the MAP 6x will be different, when in reality it hasnt been for a long time. They have been running the different chipset for years now and for the most part alot of the newer chips are just as good if not better than the sirf ones. The Colorado has quad helix and everything you already mentioned, unfortunately it had a really rough start so alot gave up on them. Funny because I remember the 60xx had a rough start as well for quite a while too.

Now I think the new 62 series can be good units for sure, but like I said I dont think they can charge you just as much as the Oregons and such when it doesnt offer anything other than the old style shell of the 60xxx to make you think its going to be the old school series with all the features of the new units. At this point I see it as a Colorado with the direction pad of the 60csx but less resolution screen and no Wherigo.

But hey maybe Im wrong and they are just leaving off certain specs at this point in error as its so new.

But then your just buying it because you think the MAP 6x will be different, when in reality it hasnt been for a long time. They have been running the different chipset for years now and for the most part alot of the newer chips are just as good if not better than the sirf ones. The Colorado has quad helix and everything you already mentioned, unfortunately it had a really rough start so alot gave up on them. Funny because I remember the 60xx had a rough start as well for quite a while too.

Now I think the new 62 series can be good units for sure, but like I said I dont think they can charge you just as much as the Oregons and such when it doesnt offer anything other than the old style shell of the 60xxx to make you think its going to be the old school series with all the features of the new units. At this point I see it as a Colorado with the direction pad of the 60csx but less resolution screen and no Wherigo.

But hey maybe Im wrong and they are just leaving off certain specs at this point in error as its so new.

I didn't mean for it to sound like it was a done deal by saying I was focusing on it for future purchase, though I can see how it sounded that way. I plan to wait until the reviews come out in July/August and possibly until the first firmware update. At that point, I'll compare it to the Oregon 450.

Current thoughts (may change with more info):

GPSmap 62s:

Pros: paperless caching, rugged hardware, quad helix antenna, sensitive chip receiver (SIRF or other recent chip), non-touchscreen, expanded memory (in comparison to 60csx) and mapping potential, visibility, 60-series support suggests future support

Cons: current pricing (hoping for deals), lack of Wherigo, smaller resolution (but possibly easier to view than Oregon?), new product bugs

Oregon 450:

Pros: paperless caching, firmware updates' resolution of past issues, Wherigo capability, sensitive chip receiver, expanded memory and mapping potential, higher screen resolution, lower price than current 62s MSRP

Cons: dimmer screen, tracking issues (unless truly fixed), touchscreen (personal preference only)

I'm guessing there will be many comparison threads for the 62-series, not only with the Oregon, but including the DeLorme PN-series and Lowrance Endura, among others.

Yes, that would have made much more sense. Unfortunately there is a large group of users that do not handle change well and this fools them into thinking it is an upgrade and not a changed unit......

Who knows, maybe we still see a Colorado 450....

Hardware:

- 3 axis compass

Software

- add some new features

Call it a Colorado II or a GPSMAP 62 but most of what you asked for above seems to be coming in the GPSMAP 62 including high speed USB, 3-axis compass, and SHDC support. What is unique about the Colorado that is missing from the GPSMAP 62 that makes you wish for a Colorado II?

Other than landscape mode and the camera/mp3 player/flashlight I think the GPSMAP has it covered.

In the 78 I'm seeing added features like a working calendar, proximity alarms, night/day mode which are improvements over Oregon, Dakota and Colorado.

Call it a Colorado II or a GPSMAP 62 but most of what you asked for above seems to be coming in the GPSMAP 62 including high speed USB, 3-axis compass, and SHDC support. What is unique about the Colorado that is missing from the GPSMAP 62 that makes you wish for a Colorado II?

Other than landscape mode and the camera/mp3 player/flashlight I think the GPSMAP has it covered.

In the 78 I'm seeing added features like a working calendar, proximity alarms, night/day mode which are improvements over Oregon, Dakota and Colorado.

Large screen and rock-n-roller controls is what is unique about Colorado.

As for calendar, proximity alarm, day/night mode, it is all software and only matter of willingness (or laziness) on Garmin side. After all, map display with terrain shading came to GPSMAP 62 from Colorado/Oregon/Dakota.

Edited by Tomas4x4

can't see any points for "camera, MP3 player, LED flashlight", or you need to change battery every one hour :)

OK, the reasons:

- Camera as an option (like on Oregon)

- MP3 Player - hardware is almost all there and power requirements are probably negligible, would come in handy when resting or camping on backpacking trip, could also have voice recording if you want to take field notes that way

- flashlight - really a last resort feature but when your trip lasts longer than expected, night comes and you are in the forest... personal experience is that it would be nice feature. I think that hardware wise it would be trivial addition and one more feature to put onto a feature list

Edited by Tomas4x4

Large screen and rock-n-roller controls is what is unique about Colorado.

As for calendar, proximity alarm, day/night mode, it is all software and only matter of willingness (or laziness) on Garmin side. After all, map display with terrain shading came to GPSMAP 62 from Colorado/Oregon/Dakota.

At present, those issues make me lean to the GPSMap 62s over a Colorado or Oregon.

--I like the 62s buttons (similar to the 60csx) better than the rock-n-roller controls or a touchscreen.

--I don't consider the large screen/higher resoluton an advantage when the visibility isn't as good as the 60-series...that's why the 62-series is keeping a lower resolution/smaller screen. You can increase the brightness, but it still doesn't solve the issue in sunlight and possibly(?) increases battery drain.

--I do want the proximity alarm and day/night mode from the start.

can't see any points for "camera, MP3 player, LED flashlight", or you need to change battery every one hour :)

OK, the reasons:

- Camera as an option (like on Oregon)

- MP3 Player - hardware is almost all there and power requirements are probably negligible, would come in handy when resting or camping on backpacking trip, could also have voice recording if you want to take field notes that way

- flashlight - really a last resort feature but when your trip lasts longer than expected, night comes and you are in the forest... personal experience is that it would be nice feature. I think that hardware wise it would be trivial addition and one more feature to put onto a feature list

huh, I still think a camera a mp3 player and a torch would be better.

What is unique about the Colorado that is missing from the GPSMAP 62 that makes you wish for a Colorado II?

- Large, high resolution screen all in the same sized package. A crappy little screen is a huge step backward. The RnR was a great design idea to get 7 buttons in a small space, all easily usable with your thumb.

[Large, high resolution screen all in the same sized package. A crappy little screen is a huge step backward. The RnR was a great design idea to get 7 buttons in a small space, all easily usable with your thumb.

To each their own...more visible screen in sunlight (even though smaller) and the button arrangement of the 60csx/62s are what I prefer over the Colorado. Guess that's why Garmin can sell a variety of GPS receivers. :)

IMO, the CO screen is almost as visible as a 60CSX, you just need to adjust the settings. The default setting are very poor for the screen visibility. With newer technology and a better designed colour scheme, they could make it easily as bright.

Guess that's why Garmin can sell a variety of GPS receivers. :)

But that is the point... They don't.... They killed the Colorado.

Yes, I can understand the disappointment/frustration of Colorado owners. If Garmin had chosen the Colorado over updating the 60/62-series, I would have felt it too. Admittedly, the Colorado's entry being more recent may have caused many to believe it would not be discontinued so soon. My guess is that Garmin looked at the number of 60-series (and Oregon) owners vs. Colorado owners and felt the former had better sales appeal.

I've been waiting a long time for the 60-series (62s) to become paperless so I can compare the specs/reviews to the Oregon 450 before upgrading, but I don't mean to exacerbate Colorado owners.

One question related to your other post--doesn't changing the setting to a higher level of brightness on the Colorado or Oregon receivers cause a significant amount of battery drainage?

One question related to your other post--doesn't changing the setting to a higher level of brightness on the Colorado or Oregon receivers cause a significant amount of battery drainage?

I'm talking with no backlight. The problem with people doing comparisons is that they are looking at a default map with a brown background on the Colorado/Oregon and think it is hard to see. Make the background white and it is very close to a 60csx.

With backlight, hooked to external power, the Colorado is much brighter than a 60csx.

The reason the Colorado died was due to a bad reputation. This reputation was the result of Garmin putting it on the market before the firmware design was finished. I can guarantee the programmers told the marketing guys it was not ready for the public.... The Oregon was released after the main problems were sorted and it did not suffer from the same bad reputation despite it begin basically the same device with a different input mode.

The price points make no sense. More expensive that the new Oregons. Does not make much sense.
Sure it does. The new 62/78 will cost substantially more to build than the equivalent OR. After all buttons cost more than touch film. Besides the 62/78 are meant as upscale units, pay to play. :blink:

After all buttons cost more than touch film. Besides the 62/78 are meant as upscale units, pay to play. :blink:

After all is said and done, the difference would be negligable relative to the cost of the GPS.

Truth be told, the only reasons the 62 will be priced so high is because 1) It's new. and 2) Garmin knows it will sell like hotcakes.

You can't really break it down by technical elements here because it's not telling the whole story. This is all about marketing and price strategy here.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000