Hiding/Disguising Benchmarks

Udink

Has anybody heard of a benchmark being hidden or disguised in order to prevent vandalism or other forms of destruction?

While looking for this benchmark yesterday, described as "A CHISELED TRIANGLE (3 IN. SIDES), ON A ROCK FLUSH WITH GROUND," I instead found a large pile of rocks where the benchmark should have been. There were a few pieces of rebar and a few large steel bolts pounded into the ground in a circle around the rock pile, some of which had some heavy guage rusted steel wire attached to it, lying on the ground.

I lifted some of the larger rocks in the hope that somebody had covered the benchmark in order to protect it, but to no avail. There were too many rocks piled up for one person to sift through them to find a single rock embedded in the ground.

I assume the benchmark is still in the ground, underneath the rock pile somewhere, but I didn't have the time to do a thorough search. I may return with some friends to help me search, but I'm worried that whoever placed the rocks in a pile may have had a good reason for it, and I'd hate to undo it. Any thoughts?

Its not unheard of to hide a marker, where vandalism has been a problem, but its fairly unusual. In this case, the rocks and wire are used to support a long distance target, usually a long wood or metal pole, sometimes with a cloth or plastic flag on top. They may take the target with them, but leave the support materials in place, so yes, by dismantling it you are making extra work for some surveyor.