Olympic coins

Did anyone see the new maskots for the olympic games on the one show and think they would make a superb design for a coin to coincide with the games or was that just me?

I think if you saw them as a superb design for anything, it was just you.... :laughing::D:P

I'd stay well away from the thought of any Olympic geocoins myself!

Unless you can get permission (i.e. buy a lisence) from the British Olympic Association, under the provisions of the Olympic Act 1995 Section 3(1) and 3(2) and the London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act 2006, someone making, selling or importing a geocoins with the Olympic Symbol (or a symbol "likely to create in the public mind an association with it") or having wording mentioning Olympics, Olympiad or the like would be committing a civil offense with a maximum fine of £20,000. :laughing:

I'm not sure whether this protection extends to cover the 'innovative' mascots (I haven't had time to root around the legislation) over and above their innate copyright protection but its something to think about!

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

There will be 'international sporting event' inspired coin/s ahead of the 2012 Geolympix Mega event in the SE of England (pos Brighton). I doubt Wenlock or Mandeville will feature though, for the legal reasons above, as well as the fact they're not exactly floating my coxless boat. I think we can do better. Signal Hula Hooping five hoops (NOT rings!) perhaps? :laughing:

A couple of one-eyed lumps of slag ain't doing for me I'm afraid!

If someone does do an olympics inspired coin, I'm sure they could come up with something much nicer. Am already liking SP's hoolahooping signal idea :rolleyes:

Edited by *mouse*

There will be 'international sporting event' inspired coin/s ahead of the 2012 Geolympix Mega event in the SE of England (pos Brighton).

So there are now two possible Mega Events in 2012 then :)

The NW have been planning for the 2012 Mega to be held in the NW since last October. It will be interesting to see if Groundspeak award both events with Mega Status :)

There's an awful lot more cachers in the UK now than there was at the time of the first Mega event (and no, I have no data to support that statement!), numerically I'd guess the UK could support more than one Mega a year...however if that's a good idea or not may be open to discussion..

At the time of the original planning for the Second Mega, someone in Seattle thought we'd be able to run several such events a year, so I guess they wouldn't have a problem with 2 Mega events in a year - if they fitted the appropriate criteria - you could always ask them?

The NW have been planning for the 2012 Mega to be held in the NW since last October. It will be interesting to see if Groundspeak award both events with Mega Status :)

Mega status will be automatic for whoever holds the existing mega committee account. Anyone without this account will have to start from scratch at convincing the powers that be to award them that mega icon.

So I guess the Wales committee could potentially have quite a bit of influence here - depending on who they pass the mega account on too next summer!

There will be 'international sporting event' inspired coin/s ahead of the 2012 Geolympix Mega event in the SE of England (pos Brighton).

I see your October 2009 and raise you an August 2009: London MEGA 2012, Would it be a good idea? - Of course there's nothing to stop multi-Megas in the UK in a single year, but I do think the SE of England will be the timely place for a Summer 2012 one, given 'what's going on there' in July and August. There will have been (at least) four by that point: one in Scotland, one in the north of England, one in south Wales and the 2009 (3 years earlier) Mega in SW England/handy for S Wales. In the past the idea of a summer/winter split has been suggested for multi-Megas and I'd encourage anyone else planning a 2012 UK Mega to consider a four-month-or-so buffer to keep the events separate in the calendar, as well as geographically. Just a suggestion.

I see your October 2009 and raise you an August 2009: London MEGA 2012, Would it be a good idea? - Of course there's nothing to stop multi-Megas in the UK in a single year, but I do think the SE of England will be the timely place for a Summer 2012 one, given 'what's going on there' in July and August. There will have been (at least) four by that point: one in Scotland, one in the north of England, one in south Wales and the 2009 (3 years earlier) Mega in SW England/handy for S Wales. In the past the idea of a summer/winter split has been suggested for multi-Megas and I'd encourage anyone else planning a 2012 UK Mega to consider a four-month-or-so buffer to keep the events separate in the calendar, as well as geographically. Just a suggestion.

PLEASE NOTE! This is my own Personal, non Reviewer opinion. But having just spent 5 minutes trying to log into the forums under that account. With no success. And being a carer and a extremely busy Reviewer, I don't have the time or patience to be run around the same log in pages forever. So once again

This is my own Personal, non Reviewer opinion.

Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher

Actually the idea of a NW Mega for 2012 was mentioned around the same time as your idea. They decided to stand back and give you first shot at publicly gathering interest. And were prepared to go for 2013. But Since you never came forward to gather public interest, they decided to formally go for Summer 2012, in the October. And have been gathering public interest since.

They have even arranged a presence at Perth to promote the NW in 2012.

They have already done a huge amount of fund raising around a Mega Summer 2012. Their plans have been proceeding on the basis of Summer 2012 since last October.

One sticking point for a Non Summer Mega in the UK, is that many cachers with Children are restricted to the Summer period, to be able to attend such a huge event. The even bigger restriction is that due to the differences between the English/Welsh School Holidays and the Scottish School Holidays, there is only a short period when both overlap.

In the US with a community, many thousands of times bigger than out own. Plus the huge size of the country, it is possible and practicable to hold multiple Mega's. It's interesting to note that the second UK Mega did not attract a huge increase over the first Mega. And it will be interesting to see the increase if any for Perth.

Another interesting point for Weston was, cachers based in the SE, stating it was too far to travel to attend. Which considering Weston is a lot closer than Harrogate. Shows that there are a core of cachers who will not attend a Mega unless it's on their doorstep.

On the Friday before the Weston Mega, I personally travelled from Weston to Ascot, it took me 2.5 hours. Yet that was too far for some.

So the chances of 2 UK Mega's in one year pulling in similar sorts of numbers drastically decreases.

Another point is you popped into the GAGB Forum, and made a mention of the possibility of a Mega in the SE in 2012, and a Member of the NW Mega Committee, specifically mentioned the on running NW Mega organising for 2012. In reply to your post, but once again you ignored that post. Yet try to claim precedence, when all you've done is make a couple of forum posts, about the idea of holding a Mega in 2012 in the SE. At least the NW Committee have been doing a lot of planning and fund raising

PLEASE NOTE! This is my own Personal, non Reviewer opinion. But having just spent 5 minutes trying to log into the forums under that account. With no success. And being a carer and a extremely busy Reviewer, I don't have the time or patience to be run around the same log in pages forever. So once again

This is my own Personal, non Reviewer opinion.

Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher

Personal Opinion!

You'll note from your own link there that the North West had already discussed holding a Mega Event in Summer 2012 prior to that topic appearing in August (a member of the organising committee pointed this out within hours of the first post). I'm sure you'll appreciate that there is a huge difference between just talking about holding an event and having an organised committee of a dozen people, a constitution and a small army of volunteers (something that the North West had in place by October, as Jan has pointed out). The notion that you were "first in" and therefore have some claim to exclusivity on the summer 2012 Mega Event just does not stand up.

The North West have been actively fund-raising since October as well as undertaking various activities in relation to the organisation of the event itself. The first Geocoin is already on order and we will have a presence at Mega Scotland alongside the Mega Wales 2011 stand.

Of course there is nothing to stop you holding a rival event, but as has been pointed out, this would be in direct competition with the North West event due to the international aspect of Mega Events (people travel from hundreds if not thousands of miles to attend them), and I for one would be very disappointed if you were to choose to go head-to-head with the North West Mega, something that I feel would be out of keeping with the community spirit of Geocaching here in the UK. The four-month buffer sounds reasonable to me and is maybe something that you should consider.

Given that I don't look on the NW forums (I'm not in the NW) can anyone point me at where public opinion had been gathered on this NATIONAL forum please? I felt I'd gathered enough public opinion to publicly declare my intention to be involved in a July 2012 SE Mega event ahead of the Olympics as part of committee, back in August 2009.

Since then I've been looking at possible venues and drawing up some suggestions and plans - not with any great haste though, as it's still 26 months away... I didn't want to go public with anything until after the Scottish Mega in July.

As has been pointed out, a suggestion of a NW2012 event was made on the thread I linked to, as was NW2013 and that's the last of it that I'd heard about either until Post 10 on this thread. It's not been a high-profile consultation, has it?

Dan1980 and Dave, I made a very clear point of NOT claiming exclusivity but if there's going to be a Summer 2012 Mega, both nationally and internationally it would make sense, in a cold and logically way, to hold it near enough to the action to benefit from those visitors to the area.

Now, can anyone suggest a workable compromise -given the dates of the Olympics are fixed, as is its area- such as a GS-approved poll, structured consultation or good honest Internet fist-fight?

If the NW2012 Mega is already being touted as the 'official' 2012 Mega, clashing (or close enough) with the Olympics, I'm not sure I'll be wasting any more time, money or effort on setting up a 'rival' event. However, if there's public (and national) desire for 2012 Geolympix Mega, I'd be happy to consult with interested parties some more and announce aspects earlier than I'd planned.

Dave-Mancunian PyrocacherActually the idea of a NW Mega for 2012 was mentioned around the same time as your idea. They decided to stand back and give you first shot at publicly gathering interest. And were prepared to go for 2013. But Since you never came forward to gather public interest, they decided to formally go for Summer 2012, in the October. And have been gathering public interest since.
I gathered all the public interest on that thread to announce my intentions, clearly. It's very black and white. There are no winking smilies...

They have even arranged a presence at Perth to promote the NW in 2012.
I didn't want to steal Wales' thunder.

They have already done a huge amount of fund raising around a Mega Summer 2012. Their plans have been proceeding on the basis of Summer 2012 since last October.
I've put £2,000 aside but I've not done any fund-raising yet. Again, it seemed too soon.

One sticking point for a Non Summer Mega in the UK, is that many cachers with Children are restricted to the Summer period, to be able to attend such a huge event. The even bigger restriction is that due to the differences between the English/Welsh School Holidays and the Scottish School Holidays, there is only a short period when both overlap.
Which is why I settled on July the 22nd, to fit in with as many factors as possible.

In the US with a community, many thousands of times bigger than out own. Plus the huge size of the country, it is possible and practicable to hold multiple Mega's. It's interesting to note that the second UK Mega did not attract a huge increase over the first Mega. And it will be interesting to see the increase if any for Perth.
Sadly I can't make it to Scotland (I limit myself to every-other year) but I wish them all the best for it.

Another interesting point for Weston was, cachers based in the SE, stating it was too far to travel to attend. Which considering Weston is a lot closer than Harrogate. Shows that there are a core of cachers who will not attend a Mega unless it's on their doorstep.
So you're saying a SE Mega would be a good thing, attracting cachers who might not otherwise travel (as I did) to a UK mega? Let's not forget, there are more people living (and cachers caching?) inside the M25 than in all of Scotland or in all of Wales and lots more than in all of Northern Ireland...

On the Friday before the Weston Mega, I personally travelled from Weston to Ascot, it took me 2.5 hours. Yet that was too far for some.
I had a cracking time in Weston but was surprised it'd not drawn more people from the SE too. It's perhaps a reaction to the 'everything you want apart from mountain climbing is less than an hour away' in this corner of the country. I can be in France faster and cheaper than I can be in Wales, for example.

So the chances of 2 UK Mega's in one year pulling in similar sorts of numbers drastically decreases.
Yes it would. It seems to me that claims for exclusivity are being made..?

Another point is you popped into the GAGB Forum, and made a mention of the possibility of a Mega in the SE in 2012, and a Member of the NW Mega Committee, specifically mentioned the on running NW Mega organising for 2012. In reply to your post, but once again you ignored that post. Yet try to claim precedence, when all you've done is make a couple of forum posts, about the idea of holding a Mega in 2012 in the SE. At least the NW Committee have been doing a lot of planning and fund raising
I don't visit the GAGB forums as often as I should. They're poorly visited compared to this one, I think. Certainly the read and post rates are lower. Anyway, I don't recall seeing the response you mention (it's only ignoring if I saw it- I don't think I did). I don't claim precedence. I've done more than 'make a couple of forum posts, about the idea of holding a Mega in 2012 in the SE' - I stated that it was my INTENTION to be involved in the Summer 2012 SE Mega. That's pretty clear. I didn't say 'I'm going to be doing this so you can't hold a rival event' - At the time, and until the other day, I didn't know the NW had their own plans.

Sorry, but when I see misrepresentation I find it hard to resist responding:

You'll note from your own link there that the North West had already discussed holding a Mega Event in Summer 2012 prior to that topic appearing in August (a member of the organising committee pointed this out within hours of the first post). I'm sure you'll appreciate that there is a huge difference between just talking about holding an event and having an organised committee of a dozen people, a constitution and a small army of volunteers (something that the North West had in place by October, as Jan has pointed out). The notion that you were "first in" and therefore have some claim to exclusivity on the summer 2012 Mega Event just does not stand up.
Yes, I see that in August 2009 NW2012 and NW2013 were suggested. I did more than 'talk about an event' - I said one was confimed and emailed offers of involvement flooded in, as well as people expressing enthusiasm on that thread. I don't have a constitution, it's true. Volunteers I have though.

The North West have been actively fund-raising since October as well as undertaking various activities in relation to the organisation of the event itself. The first Geocoin is already on order and we will have a presence at Mega Scotland alongside the Mega Wales 2011 stand.
What date is the NW2012 set (proposed?) for, out of interest? I'm sure I'd have stumbled across this information at this year's Mega, if I were there.

Of course there is nothing to stop you holding a rival event, but as has been pointed out, this would be in direct competition with the North West event due to the international aspect of Mega Events (people travel from hundreds if not thousands of miles to attend them), and I for one would be very disappointed if you were to choose to go head-to-head with the North West Mega, something that I feel would be out of keeping with the community spirit of Geocaching here in the UK. The four-month buffer sounds reasonable to me and is maybe something that you should consider.
That's very kind. Thanks very much :)

As for what's in keeping with the community spirit of Geocaching here in the UK, it might come down to people voting with their feet. If by "The four-month buffer sounds reasonable to me and is maybe something that you should consider" you mean I should move the date of the Olympics, I'll get right on to the British Olympic Association (I've an inside contact...) and see what I can do. No promises though.

I don't go to any other geocaching forums.

I tend to look at most of the threads here.

Until now I was unaware of any plans for a NW Mega Event in 2012.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Hmmm..... it's been discussed on this forum and at quite a few events. Surprised you didn't hear anything metioned at W-S-M.

I was certainly well aware of the intentions of the NW cachers long before the SE cachers muted anything to do with the Olympics.

I've not got time to answer all of the points raised by Simply Paul at present as the weather is far too nice at the moment to be stuck in the house typing up responses to all of those posts, however I will endeavour to do so in due course. :)

In the meantime you might like to look at this post: Mega Event in the North West?, Open meeting on 18th October, originally posted in September 2009 (at which point there had been no mention of an Olympic related Mega Event for several weeks, and the idea appeared to have died a death) which advertises an open meeting regarding the possibility of holding a mega event in the North West. It is then updated on 23rd October with an announcement that the North West have formed a committee and intend to host a mega event in the summer of 2012. At no point during that open meeting or on the forum thread was any objection raised.

Since then a Facebook group has been set up, and despite being "soft launched" (i.e. not advertised on ANY forum) so as to avoid overshadowing the Welsh Mega it quickly attracted over 100 fans. To me that constitutes community consensus. I'm extremely confident that with more promotion, support for the event will increase exponentially, however we had been hoping to keep a low profile until Mega Wales 2011 (our stall at this year's mega is not even advertised as a mega event stall to that end).

Unfortunately in this instance we have been forced to raise our profile due to the rumours of a rival event being organised.

I was aware of the NW Mega event 2012 - along with the 165 others who have signed on the Face book page although I realise that not all use FB.

As a member of mega Wales committee I have also been in contact with some one from the NW forum and look forward to meeting them at Perth. I know they were keeping a low profile as we have to a certain extent until after Perth and our profile is raised.

I've not got time to answer all of the points raised by Simply Paul at present as the weather is far too nice at the moment to be stuck in the house typing up responses to all of those posts, however I will endeavour to do so in due course. :)
I'm replying from the garden. I love wifi :D

In the meantime you might like to look at this post: Mega Event in the North West?, Open meeting on 18th October, originally posted in September 2009 (at which point there had been no mention of an Olympic related Mega Event for several weeks, and the idea appeared to have died a death) which advertises an open meeting regarding the possibility of holding a mega event in the North West. It is then updated on 23rd October with an announcement that the North West have formed a committee and intend to host a mega event in the summer of 2012. At no point during that open meeting or on the forum thread was any objection raised.
'Appeared to have died a death'? That's a hell of an assumption. And on what grounds would or could an objection be raised? I saw that thread (all 6 posts) for the first time earlier today. I don't know what I could have said other than 'Good luck with it. Please avoid the end of July'.

Since then a Facebook group has been set up, and despite being "soft launched" (i.e. not advertised on ANY forum) so as to avoid overshadowing the Welsh Mega it quickly attracted over 100 fans. To me that constitutes community consensus. I'm extremely confident that with more promotion, support for the event will increase exponentially, however we had been hoping to keep a low profile until Mega Wales 2011 (our stall at this year's mega is not even advertised as a mega event stall to that end).
Soft Launch? Secret Launch :) I'm not much of a Facebook user but I'm sure someone from the SE2012 team will be. I'll be taking care of the Twitter feed @MegaUK2012

Unfortunately in this instance we have been forced to raise our profile due to the rumours of a rival event being organised.
Not rumours, and frankly, I see the NW event as the rival... I'm not saying you shouldn't be holding it. It's the making me out to be the bad guy that I object to. Edited by Simply Paul

I don't go to any other geocaching forums.

I tend to look at most of the threads here.

Until now I was unaware of any plans for a NW Mega Event in 2012.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Hmmm..... it's been discussed on this forum and at quite a few events. Surprised you didn't hear anything metioned at W-S-M.

I was certainly well aware of the intentions of the NW cachers long before the SE cachers muted anything to do with the Olympics.

On the converse, I was aware of the London 2012 "Olympics" Mega Event ideas, but I can't remember any talk of a NW one, despite me being a facebook junkie, ;) . Now the NW2012 links have been posted it is obvious that things are very well progressed.

<snip>Unfortunately in this instance we have been forced to raise our profile due to the rumours of a rival event being organised.

Rival event?

Can events not co-exist?

Of course they can, but as the proposed dates of the Olympic mega event that I've seen (22nd July and 19th August) are both within a very short space of time of the likely date of the North West mega event, 28th July (although not confirmed), then I'm afraid that yes, they would be in direct competition with each other (as discussed above), and could only be considered rivals.

Paul,

To answer one of your questions, there is no fixed date set for the NW Mega Event, except for that it will be in the brief window allowed in the 2012 summer holidays where the whole of the UK's schools are shut! The exact date will be finalised once we decide firmly on a venue. We're down to a shortlist of two at the moment...

I don't wish to see this thread degenerate into a discussion on who has precedence for 2012 - the fact is that both of us are looking to hold a Mega Event at roughly the same time. When I first raised the idea of a Mega Event in the northwest it was actually for next year - 2011. I was soon informed about Mega Wales, which had not had any great fanfare on a public forum, but as it was clear that a region had a committee formed and a good plan I naturally respected their priority and started to consider 2012.

I know 2012 will be an exciting year in the London area and I'm hoping to make a visit to the capital for the games myself. However this doesn't give the Southeast the automatic right to hold the 2012 "UK Mega Event" and I would have thought it was reasonable that the Northwest be given the opportunity to put on our event without fear of a rival setup putting all our hard work and money at risk.

What I would ask you politely and publicly here is that if you want to organise an Olympic themed Mega Event, you do just that, rather than try to brand it as the UK Mega Event for 2012. There will be a lot of cachers in the Southeast during the Olympics and I'm sure you can persuade Groundspeak that you'll get the 500 attendees you need.

That's my take on the issue. Clearly we can either have a big disagreement or we can look at ways we can all get what we want. I support the second option.

Mike.

(NW Mega 2012 Committee Chairman)

...However this doesn't give the Southeast the automatic right to hold the 2012 "UK Mega Event"...
But it does give the NW contingent the right to attempt to stop us? Let us be clear. The SE does have the automatic right to hold A 2012 UK Mega Event, so long as Groundspeak feel it is likely to get 500+ visitors, or award the icon post-event. Apparently the Olymics are expected to draw 1.5m people to the SE. If 0.04% of them are cachers, the event should hit that number without any locals coming. ;)
What I would ask you politely and publicly here is that if you want to organise an Olympic themed Mega Event, you do just that, rather than try to brand it as the UK Mega Event for 2012.
Please note the logo, left. You're insisting that, regardless of who publically stated their intentions for the/a UK Mega in 2012 first, that the NW is the place for one. I'm politely and publicly agreeing. Yes, it's the place. For one.

I genuinely resent the spin which -understandably, I suppose- is being put on this. I'm told I 'talked about the possibility of an event' when I actually said 'Yes, we're doing one', I'm told it'd 'fizzled out' when I've already been contacted by half a dozen teams willing to be on the committee and researched locations for both the Mega (sorry, A mega) and satellite events. And I'm told 'how dare you think about holding an event which clashes with ours' when, as long ago as August 2009 I even gave a preliminary date. As Gordon Brown so succinctly put it, get real. I'm not afraid of a little competition. Please avoid July 22nd ;)

And what a fantastic advertisement to the rest of the World this is proving for British caching harmony.

Would both factions please consider taking your arguments discussions on scheduling out of the forum, and maybe coming back with an agreed statement when you've both decided when and where the Mega(s) are going to be held in 2012.

Meanwhile, perhaps this years Scottish and next years Welsh Mega's can be given the attention they deserve without everybody else getting bogged down in your wranglings.

Edited by keehotee
...However this doesn't give the Southeast the automatic right to hold the 2012 "UK Mega Event"...
But it does give the NW contingent the right to attempt to stop us? Let us be clear. The SE does have the automatic right to hold A 2012 UK Mega Event, so long as Groundspeak feel it is likely to get 500+ visitors, or award the icon post-event. Apparently the Olymics are expected to draw 1.5m people to the SE. If 0.04% of them are cachers, the event should hit that number without any locals coming. ;)
What I would ask you politely and publicly here is that if you want to organise an Olympic themed Mega Event, you do just that, rather than try to brand it as the UK Mega Event for 2012.
Please note the logo, left. You're insisting that, regardless of who publically stated their intentions for the/a UK Mega in 2012 first, that the NW is the place for one. I'm politely and publicly agreeing. Yes, it's the place. For one.

I genuinely resent the spin which -understandably, I suppose- is being put on this. I'm told I 'talked about the possibility of an event' when I actually said 'Yes, we're doing one', I'm told it'd 'fizzled out' when I've already been contacted by half a dozen teams willing to be on the committee and researched locations for both the Mega (sorry, A mega) and satellite events. And I'm told 'how dare you think about holding an event which clashes with ours' when, as long ago as August 2009 I even gave a preliminary date. As Gordon Brown so succinctly put it, get real. I'm not afraid of a little competition. Please avoid July 22nd ;)

Seems a lot of I and not much we tbh.

The NW approach seems more "we"

It's I when I'm talking about my posts. It's we when I talk about the event..? I'm not afraid of a little compertition. I can't speak for the other committee members but I can check with them.

I agree Keehotee, it's a shame this has come to light now; I'd not planned to make a song and dance until after the Scottish Mega (handy for NW England ;))

To help address this, here are links to the Scottish Mega (Perth, 31st July 2010) and to the Welsh Mega (Brangwyn Hall, Swansea, 31st July 2011) websites. They will both be awesome ;)

Perhaps if thought was really involved to check if the "mumblings of the SE" had been taken seriously a quick note via e-mail would have been appropriate to those who had shown that interest.

I publically put out there the notion of a SE (OK I said London but SE is more suitable) mega for the Olympics for the very reason mentioned by a few here. I hadn't heard of other events and I wanted to see what anyone thought not just in one region.

Interest was expressed and committee volunteers stepped forward.

Well that's my 2p worth.

I'm sure more will be discussed and this will run and run. I for one still support the SE mega as place where coincidently many foreign cachers would be able to get to as well. Isn't that after all the reason for a mega. To draw in all from far and wide.

If NW moved theirs to 2013 then I would also happily support theirs in any way that I could.

And what a fantastic advertisement to the rest of the World this is proving for British caching harmony.

Would both factions please consider taking your arguments discussions on scheduling out of the forum, and maybe coming back with an agreed statement when you've both decided when and where the Mega(s) are going to be held in 2012.

Meanwhile, perhaps this years Scottish and next years Welsh Mega's can be given the attention they deserve without everybody else getting bogged down in your wranglings.

Think you're right. Any NW want to get in touch then please e-mail me through my profile. It would be good to discuss.

This will teach me to read to the end before jumping in.

But it does give the NW contingent the right to attempt to stop us? Let us be clear. The SE does have the automatic right to hold A 2012 UK Mega Event, so long as Groundspeak feel it is likely to get 500+ visitors, or award the icon post-event. Apparently the Olymics are expected to draw 1.5m people to the SE. If 0.04% of them are cachers, the event should hit that number without any locals coming. :rolleyes:

You misunderstand me - yes, both areas can organise A Mega Event at the same time, however the precedent has been set for one event each summer referred to as THE UK Mega Event, and that it what we are trying to organise in the NW. To have two official national events within weeks of each other is frankly a marketing disaster for us both - it would be much better to have the OLYMPICS MEGA EVENT and UK MEGA EVENT, as distinct, separate, identifiable things.

To answer other posters about continuing our discussions on this in private, I am happy to do so, although for the record I would like to point out in the northwest's defence that every time the idea of an Olympics Mega Event has been mentioned in this or the GAGB forum I have posted in the same thread to remind everyone that the NW has Mega Plans. I don't see why it should have fallen to me to contact you privately to discuss who has the right to hold the Mega in 2012 when you were equally aware of our interest and equally able to drop me a line. Maybe there are faults on both sides here, and if that is the case I accept my portion of it.

That's all I have to say on the subject on here. We will avoid your chosen date. I would be obliged if you would give serious consideration to my concerns about the name of your Mega Event. As I said before, there is room for us both to have a Mega in the same summer as long as we plan well, but only if we make them visibly very different beasts.

Did anyone see the new maskots for the olympic games on the one show and think they would make a superb design for a coin to coincide with the games or was that just me?

Look what you started Mr Johnson!

;):anibad:B)

Blimey, I don`t look on here for a couple of days and when I come back I seem to have opened up a whole new can of worms :rolleyes:

I didn`t realize there were the licence issues when I posted this thread, I`d just seen the designs and thought that the shiney logo`s would look really good on a coin B)

Please feel free to carry on as you were :)

Blimey, I don`t look on here for a couple of days and when I come back I seem to have opened up a whole new can of worms :rolleyes:

Now let that be a lesson to you! :ph34r::D:P

Seriously, though, don't let it put you off using the forum, these things happen round here from time to time B)

to drag this topic kicking and screaming back on track, It may be that the Olympic Rings are protected, but there's no reason we couldn't ask to use them! I too think they'd look rather good on a coin, and would be hopeful that we could be allowed to use it! Not so sure about Muchlock and Wendyville though... :P