Help me chose first GPS --Scouts

I am new to geocaching and need a unit that works well and is easy enough for myself and children to use but is budget friendly. I can only spend around the $200 mark. I am debating between the Legend csx, the vista csx, the colorado 400t or 400i or any other suggestions you may have. Please help me to lean toward one model, which offiers the most bang for the buck. I do have a palm with a geocaching app so paperless isn't necessary. Would like compass and to be able to download some cords. I am also teaching about geocaching to our cub scouts during summer camp, so i want to easy figure out cords to place caches too. Pleae Help!

Edited by ZimmermanClan

I am new to geocaching and need a unit that works well and is easy enough for myself and children to use but is budget friendly. I can only spend around the $200 mark. I am debating between the Legend csx, the vista csx, the colorado 400t or 400i or any other suggestions you may have. Please help me to lean toward one model, which offiers the most bang for the buck. I do have a palm with a geocaching app so paperless isn't necessary. Would like compass and to be able to download some cords. I am also teaching about geocaching to our cub scouts during summer camp, so i want to easy figure out cords to place caches too. Pleae Help!

Starting tomorrow (the 20th) REI will have the Garmin 60CSX on sale for $199. This is a super deal for what many believe is the best geocaching gps unit available. It's biggest drawback (in my opinion) is that it is not paperless. However, that fits your criteria. I owned the Vista HCx and liked it very much. However, for the same price I would go with the 60CSX.

OldA'sFan

Starting tomorrow (the 20th) REI will have the Garmin 60CSX on sale for $199. This is a super deal for what many believe is the best geocaching gps unit available. It's biggest drawback (in my opinion) is that it is not paperless. However, that fits your criteria. I owned the Vista HCx and liked it very much. However, for the same price I would go with the 60CSX.

OldA'sFan

Mabe I am having a brain fart but REI? That's an outdoors store right? i think i found it online, but no sign of that kind of deal, how do you know? i think i would love to get that model too, are you sure it's the csx and not the lower model, cause the csx reg price there is $350

Edited by ZimmermanClan

Mabe I am having a brain fart but REI? That's an outdoors store right? i think i found it online, but no sign of that kind of deal, how do you know? i think i would love to get that model too, are you sure it's the csx and not the lower model, cause the csx reg price there is $350

I have the REI Anniversary sale flier that just came in today's mail. Confirmed.

Sale dates: May 21-31, 2010. Page 6 has the GPSMAP 60CSx for $199.99 Reg. $350 save $150

Should be online at rei.com on the 21st.

Edited by coggins

I have the REI Anniversary sale flier that just came in today's mail. Confirmed.

Sale dates: May 21-31, 2010. Page 6 has the GPSMAP 60CSx for $199.99 Reg. $350 save $150

Wonderful, thank you so much, the closest store to me is Rockville, MD so i guess i will try online. I hope they have it and shipping isn't too much. That is an incredible deal for that model. Thanks.

Ok I finally think i found it, thank you so much! REI will have the Maps60CSX online for $199 plus $13 shipping. That makes it cheaper than the Vista csx. I think I will be happier with the gps. Again thank you for your suggestion and info. Let's pray the don't sell out on me, i thinki will log on at midnight, lol

Since I am starting to teach the BSA Geocaching Merit Badge, I was going to start a similar thread and ask opinions from the people here.

My criteria is:

Low price, paperless, mapping included, easy to use for beginners, navigation and tracking features for hiking and planning hikes.

My top suggestion so far is the Delorme PN30. I have had one since last summer and it meets all the criteria above. I paid $200 for mine and I have seen them for $175. I have suggested and several people have bought them (or the PN40) including the Scoutmaster and one Asst SM in my Troop (I am Committee Chair.) The Asst SM brings his laptop to some meetings and works on planning hikes with Sr. Patrol Leader with the Topo program included with the unit. This is a full featured unit that is a great value.

Another suggestion is the Magellan eXplorist GC. I recently got one for $157 plus shipping. It has full street Maps, and paperless, but is not quite complete. There is a firmware update in the works that will hopefully add full track logging functions.

Another top contender is the Garmin Dakota 20 Topo map Bundle soon to be on sale for $250 after rebate. Garmin makes some other very nice models, but current ones with paperless and maps will cost a lot more.

$250 may have to be the top price range to expect parents to buy unless they also get very into it and are big gadget fans.

Since I am starting to teach the BSA Geocaching Merit Badge, I was going to start a similar thread and ask opinions from the people here.

My criteria is:

Low price, paperless, mapping included, easy to use for beginners, navigation and tracking features for hiking and planning hikes.

My top suggestion so far is the Delorme PN30. I have had one since last summer and it meets all the criteria above. I paid $200 for mine and I have seen them for $175. I have suggested and several people have bought them (or the PN40) including the Scoutmaster and one Asst SM in my Troop (I am Committee Chair.) The Asst SM brings his laptop to some meetings and works on planning hikes with Sr. Patrol Leader with the Topo program included with the unit. This is a full featured unit that is a great value.

Another suggestion is the Magellan eXplorist GC. I recently got one for $157 plus shipping. It has full street Maps, and paperless, but is not quite complete. There is a firmware update in the works that will hopefully add full track logging functions.

Another top contender is the Garmin Dakota 20 Topo map Bundle soon to be on sale for $250 after rebate. Garmin makes some other very nice models, but current ones with paperless and maps will cost a lot more.

$250 may have to be the top price range to expect parents to buy unless they also get very into it and are big gadget fans.

I am very lucky that our Council is purchasing gps units for the area packs to use during their summer camps. i have no idea what brand/model they are purchasing. Wonder what would be best for kids ages 6-12 for simple geocaching and hiking.

My criteria is:

I am very lucky that our Council is purchasing gps units for the area packs to use during their summer camps. i have no idea what brand/model they are purchasing. Wonder what would be best for kids ages 6-12 for simple geocaching and hiking.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Colorado-Port...6170&sr=8-1

Load that site into your browser, $199 for this unit. The Colorado is absolutely amazing for paperless caching. This model has inland lakes installed on it instead of the more cacher friendly 100k topo, but you can download new maps for free at gpsfiledepot.com. Using a PQ, you can load your limit of 2000 caches in a few minutes complete with description, hint and recent logs. Its very intuitive too, and since kids tend to be tech savvy, they will take it and figure it out in a few minutes, literally. Plus the 3D view is pretty cool to look at, I don't use it except to show it off, but 6-12 yr old kids will get a kick out of it if you have mountains or hills you are hiking in. This is the most bang for your buck in terms of a GPSr for caching in my opinion.

Wonderful, thank you so much, the closest store to me is Rockville, MD so i guess i will try online. I hope they have it and shipping isn't too much. That is an incredible deal for that model. Thanks.

REI will ship to your local store for free, you just need to pick the item up. Living near the College Park store I've used this option a couple times.

Edited by rstickle