Feature request: 'Statistics for premium members"

rmatosinhos

Its allways a question of its or is not all about numbers...

is not very practical to use GSAK or other tools to generate statistics.

I think one very interesting feature (actually I think I would be a killer feature) were having the possibility of having personalized advanced statistics (similar to those of GSAK etc) for premium members

Edited by rmatosinhos

I personally find gsak to be the most valuable piece of software I use related to caching, so generating stats becomes one click.

If all you are trying to use gsak for is to generate stats then you are missing almost all of its functionality.

Its allways a question of its or is not all about numbers...

is not very practical to use GSAK or other tools to generate statistics.

I think one very interesting feature (actually I think I would be a killer feature) were having the possibility of having personalized advanced statistics (similar to those of GSAK etc) for premium members

No. I can't emphasize this enough. No. Don't do this. If you want stats, generate your own. I can see a constant stream of forum posts like: "My stats didn't update 3 microseconds after I posted my logs" "My stats are wrong". "My D/T grid has a glitch." "Please fix this now, I need it to prove what a great geocacher I am".

Historically the folks up at HQ have been againist any more stats generated from the site. The view has been that Geocaching is not a competition of any kind and they do not want to feed that perception.

I agree and hope the sentiment of Jermey is still the same.

No. I can't emphasize this enough. No. Don't do this. If you want stats, generate your own. I can see a constant stream of forum posts like: "My stats didn't update 3 microseconds after I posted my logs" "My stats are wrong". "My D/T grid has a glitch." "Please fix this now, I need it to prove what a great geocacher I am".

Historically the folks up at HQ have been against any more stats generated from the site. The view has been that Geocaching is not a competition of any kind and they do not want to feed that perception.

I agree and hope the sentiment of Jeremy is still the same.

Quoting both since I agree with them.

Let the off-site developers spend the time to crunch the data that gc.com provides.

Edited to mention that I've paid GSAK twice for their services.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Why I think this will not happen:

1. Plenty of customization requests

2. Plenty of language requests

3. Depends on information not captured on site (e.g. FTF)

4. Ordering of finds problematic - there'll be plenty of "but my find #100 is XXX not YYY"

It would neither distress me nor inconvenience me if it is implemented, provided I can opt out of it.

I can't emphasize this enough. No matter how reasonable a feature request is, there will always be a handful of very vocal people that will suggest that the requested feature should not be implemented because they don't personally want to use it.

The number of people that go to a lot of trouble to generate and add stats to their profiles indicate that there is quite a lot of demand for this feature.

Unfortunately I don't expect that it will be developed any time soon unless GS was to partner with one of the people/organizations already generating these kinds of stats.

I can't emphasize this enough. No matter how reasonable a feature request is, there will always be a handful of very vocal people that will suggest that the requested feature should not be implemented because they don't personally want to use it.

The number of people that go to a lot of trouble to generate and add stats to their profiles indicate that there is quite a lot of demand for this feature.

Unfortunately I don't expect that it will be developed any time soon unless GS was to partner with one of the people/organizations already generating these kinds of stats.

No no. You have failed to consider that some of us don't want ANYBODY using the feature. Not just myself. I happen to rather strongly believe in not trying to turn Geocaching into a competitive contest of any kind.

No no. You have failed to consider that some of us don't want ANYBODY using the feature. Not just myself. I happen to rather strongly believe in not trying to turn Geocaching into a competitive contest of any kind.

Amen. This is the last thing I'd want the coders to use their valuable time doing.

The ability for folks to take data that gc.com provides and develop software that can feed things like stats and cache page detail to fit personal system/equipment preferences and limitations has always been a benefit. Probably far more than what gc.com would ever want to expend their own resources to create.

I was waiting for someone to bring it up but really what we should be asking for is gc.com to provide even more detailed information, not to massage it into a final product.

I resent the broad generalization that we are shooting down ideas simply because we don't want it for ourselves.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Is just a matter of having an option ADVANCED PROFILE STATISTICS ON/OFF and any one can use. I dont mean to have an automatic on! Kind like that option of alow friend request...

at least having a partnership with off site organizations would be great.

donwload pquery, open pquery on gsak, upload is boring...

What kind of partnership do you envision that would be much different?

I like stats as much as the next guy but I can think of many things that I would rather GS spend time on rather than rendering them and dealing with complaints about them.

Amen. This is the last thing I'd want the coders to use their valuable time doing.

and amen again.

While we're all free to possess our own various beliefs, I'd say that -generally speaking- the 'It's not a contest' sentiment (sounds like FD, doesn't it, OM?) went out the window the first time some cacher saw 'FTF' written in a log and asked 'What's that mean?'.