PVC Pipe with cap

skydiver

Has anybody located a bechmark with a PVC pipe and cap protecting it? If so, how did you confirm you found it?

A friend of mine found a benchmark that was like this, but the cap was previously damaged and easily removed.

I think I may have discovered a similarily protected benchmark but, there are two PVC pipes with caps sticking from the ground at the location, and both caps are very secure. To complicate matters further, nearly all of the landmarks listed in the description have disappeared or seriously moved since the 1979 description, so I could easily be in the wrong spot and there's not a benchmark under either cap.

It's in a very high traffic area, so I'm more than a little nervous about walking up with a pipe wrench and taking stuff apart to investigate. I've got a similar pipe/cap combo in my backyard that is part of the sewer (I think), and I'm sure is not a benchmark, which makes me even more nervous about trying to get either of these other two caps off.

Has anybody else encountered this kind of situation, and if so, what did you do? This is my first attempt at benchmarking, and now I'm not sure if I can sleep without solving this quandry.

Thanks.

caps.jpg

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

[This message was edited by skydiver on June 11, 2002 at 07:57 AM.]

Please avoid entering private property without permission while searching and be sure you do no damage wherever you search. Most markers are located within the public right-of-way to provide easy access, so markers on private property should be considered out of bounds. If you are uncertain about an exact location, contact the agency that owns the marker and inquire about its status. You may also contact a local private surveyor, who will probably know about any markers in the vicinity.

How do you get the caps off if the marker is under a pipe.

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Has anybody located a bechmark with a PVC pipe and cap protecting it? If so, how did you confirm you found it?

A friend of mine found a http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=RY0714 that was like this, but the cap was previously damaged and easily removed.

I think I may have discovered a http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=RY0711 but, there are two PVC pipes with caps sticking from the ground at the location, and both caps are very secure. To complicate matters further, nearly all of the landmarks listed in the description have disappeared or seriously moved since the 1979 description, so I could easily be in the wrong spot and there's not a benchmark under either cap.

It's in a very high traffic area, so I'm more than a little nervous about walking up with a pipe wrench and taking stuff apart to investigate. I've got a similar pipe/cap combo in my backyard that is part of the sewer (I think), and I'm sure is not a benchmark, which makes me even more nervous about trying to get either of these other two caps off.

Has anybody else encountered this kind of situation, and if so, what did you do? This is my first attempt at benchmarking, and now I'm not sure if I can sleep without solving this quandry.

Thanks.

http://www.rusticweb.com/geocaching/caps.jpg

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

[This message was edited by skydiver on June 11, 2002 at 07:57 AM.]

The answer's easy, go knock on the door and ask! They'll either say yes or no, or maybe "Is that what those are? We've been wondering about those since we bought the place."

It'll solve your sleeping problem.

dsurveyor

Experience - A list of non fatal mistakes.

Skydiver,

I ran across a series of PVC caps (FT1080,0272,1082,6277,1083) this area was very low traffic area. Most were broken, only one had the cap present. There are photo's on the pages, take a look. Good Luck and watch and watch the private property issues.

GSA Father