Marine Cache

frogman911

Hey, i'm new to this. So I was wondering if anyone ever deposits a cache underwater in a lake for scuba divers to find? I think it would be cool to go out and dive on a spot that you think might hold a cache. Naturally it would be marked as a "5" in difficulty not only finding, but getting to. Or is this strickly land based?

What is a good container for something like this?

When I finally do hide a cache, there is a spot I am considering and I was thinking it would be neat to have the cache underwater needing to be pulled out of the water with an attached rope.

I know caches should be water tight, but is ther any advice on caches who live submerged and getting them to stay sunk?

OK, Sounds good. I may try one. It may be difficult to have one on a rope from shore. Someone may not seal it tight or may not throw it in the water the same way. The rope can get stuck on roots or something on the bottom. My idea would be to scuba dive, sink it with a lead ball fishermen use for trolling. I could tie fishing line onto bobbers. The bobbers could float above the lead ball in plain view. The bobbers would have the coordinates written on them along with lake and depth, or at least something like that. And each diver or team could take one.

I've got a cache underwater.

"Ground" Zero

The container is a 30 cal ammo can. To test it out, I put it in a bucket for a few days with a rock on top of it. It was bone dry inside.

Since the can is buoyant, it's anchored with a chain and large carabiner to 2 cement blocks. It's only under about 3-5 feet max depending on the weather.

Also, while at a hardware store what sells boating stuff, I've seen other waterproof containers in many shapes and sizes. Stores that carry camping or canoeing gear are also good places to look for waterproof containers.