Geocaching with Nokia 5800

Hi Linndyloo, I am using a nokia 5800 exclusively, with Trimbles GeocacheNavigator, and it rocks!

Accuracy is stunning, (from what I heard, phones are so 'passe')

I went to several points and logged the position, went to googlemaps and put the info in, and one point I was within 3 feet, on other points no more than 10 feet away.

DO NOT GET THIS FROM OVI they are charging £26 last time I looked. It can be bought from trimble for €15 (about £12) check your email

Not too sure why you'd want to sell the Colorado, your phone wont be waterproof, nor shockproof...

One lasst thing, when you first set up the phone for GPS lay it sideways it on a windowsill, at 45 degrees angle with the LEFT SIDE of the screen facing uppermost, (Thats where the ariel is) and leave it for 15 to 20 mins. Then its pretty good to go after that.

Not too sure about battery life, not done too much myself a grand total of 10 finds! but Im loving every moment

Edited by Kazim1959

Hi Linndyloo, I am using a nokia 5800 exclusively, with Trimbles GeocacheNavigator, and it rocks!

Accuracy is stunning, (from what I heard, phones are so 'passe')

I went to several points and logged the position, went to googlemaps and put the info in, and one point I was within 3 feet, on other points no more than 10 feet away.

DO NOT GET THIS FROM OVI they are charging £26 last time I looked. It can be bought from trimble for €15 (about £12) check your email

Not too sure why you'd want to sell the Colorado, your phone wont be waterproof, nor shockproof...

One lasst thing, when you first set up the phone for GPS lay it sideways it on a windowsill, at 45 degrees angle with the LEFT SIDE of the screen facing uppermost, (Thats where the ariel is) and leave it for 15 to 20 mins. Then its pretty good to go after that.

Not too sure about battery life, not done too much myself a grand total of 10 finds! but Im loving every moment

Thanks so much for your help.Will go on the website you give me.I am selling my colorado as really need money at moment and phone was free on my contract.lol.I do love the colorado though but don't geocache that often so it must go.Thanks.Lynn.

Battery life is not great at the best of times, turn on the GPS and it will be dead in just a few hours. IMHO it is only really of use if you want to find a cache unexpectedly and don't have a "proper" GPSr with you.

Like most (I think) I go to the rough area and use the phone to get closer still, Never been on a route for more than an evening, but I am getting some sort of handheld very soon

Although I used it to drive to a meeting recently, and that was a 1 and a half hour journey either way, probably took half my battery away.. Must check and update!

I downloaded SmartGPX for my 5800 from Ovi for free. It reads PQs (GPX format) and seems very good. Battery life can be extended by adding a bluetooth GPS rather than using the phone's (excellent) onboard one but I tend to just use it for spur-of-the-moment caching too, rather than as my regular eTrex or PDA (for mapping).

I sometimes use live.geocaching.com on my Nokia 5800 which I really like - excellent for spur of the moment caching, and will even show the position of other cachers on-line if they allow visibility. Not quite as robust as my Garmin (I go out with both), but I still think it is amazing to be able to get all the essential info when you're out and about. Battery life of course isn't brilliant but ok and you can always recharge in the car, and then enter the co-ords in to the Garmin to keep you going.

Edited by Mr Mercator

I have a 5800. I have SmartGPX which is very good for going paperless, but does not have a locate function. I am also using GeocachingLive for that but I don't like it, it is very fiddly on the 5800's small screen and is a bit messy to use. I will persist with it though.

The ariel is in a stupid position, it needs to be at the top or on the other side...to counter this (and to bypass the AGPS costs!) I am going to buy a Nokia LD-3W external GPS device, only £30 on eBay....

I have a 5800. I have SmartGPX which is very good for going paperless, but does not have a locate function. I am also using GeocachingLive for that but I don't like it, it is very fiddly on the 5800's small screen and is a bit messy to use. I will persist with it though.

The ariel is in a stupid position, it needs to be at the top or on the other side...to counter this (and to bypass the AGPS costs!) I am going to buy a Nokia LD-3W external GPS device, only £30 on eBay....

Thanks all for you replies.I have just bought a bluetooth GPS so I will see how I go with it.My Colorado 300 is on ebay if anyone is interested.Thanks.Lynn.

Hi

I have tried using geocacheing live with my nokia. But for some reason it will not connect to gps, even though i can have the onboard gps working.

I use my 5800 for caching and can manage a good day out before it dies, but im really irritated that the gps function on the 5800 wont work with live.

Has anyone else had this or is it just me?

Thoughts and suggestion appreciated

Daz

Hi

I have tried using geocacheing live with my nokia. But for some reason it will not connect to gps, even though i can have the onboard gps working.

I use my 5800 for caching and can manage a good day out before it dies, but im really irritated that the gps function on the 5800 wont work with live.

Has anyone else had this or is it just me?

Thoughts and suggestion appreciated

Daz

Try running google maps in the back ground... Geocaching live is slow picking up GPS Signal so it looks like its not finding the GPS...

Once you have position you can shut google maps... It worked on my N95 and E75, although on my E75 Goecaching Live seems to be prone to crashing the phone all together!

There is also a Wherigo app for the Nokia 5800 (or any java enabled phone really) called Openwig . :P

Thanks for that, I did not know of that one. On my first Wherigo crashed my GPS then sticky fingers bugged the other Andriod app. So we had to start again, could of done with my phone on the job to!

Is there a site for reviewing Caching Software? and tips?

I have use/d:

Smart Phone:

Geocache Navigator

Smart GPS

Geocaching Live

Google Earth

Nokia Maps

Columbus

Geohunter

Wherigo

PC

Easy GPS

Have played with GKSA but never got into it.

Garmin Maps (when no internet but running from PQ's)

Google Earth

GPS

Etrex

Oregon

and a few others I cannot remember.

Doe any one out there has a site that reviews them in one pace?

If not if some one has a site wants a hand with info reviews instructions/ tricks for this software I would happily help keep it together when I am on leave. If nothing else I tend to shift phones equipment regularly and would find my own reviews useful...

Just so when you buy a Symbian Windows or Andirod Phone or a GPS there is one place you can look for info about what the software does?

Well, I have bought one 5800 two weeks ago and I have no problems using it as a GPS to locate caches even with the default free software from Nokia (Ovi Maps - formerly Nokia Maps).

However I had to write myself a simple convertor in Java to convert LOC files downloaded from Geocaching.com into LMX format (which is the only one supported by Ovi Maps).

For anyone interested with the same issue, you can download this application for free from my site: http://peeters.22web.net/java-se/gc-convert/

Well, I have bought one 5800 two weeks ago and I have no problems using it as a GPS to locate caches even with the default free software from Nokia (Ovi Maps - formerly Nokia Maps).

However I had to write myself a simple convertor in Java to convert LOC files downloaded from Geocaching.com into LMX format (which is the only one supported by Ovi Maps).

For anyone interested with the same issue, you can download this application for free from my site: http://peeters.22web.net/java-se/gc-convert/

I've been using this for Geocaching for about 8 months now. In the early days I struggled with it until I found the rght software to use and was thinking of spending mega bucks on a 'proper' GPS - but then I discovered Trekbuddy software and Mobile Atlas Creator, both free to download.

With premium membership I get updates of new caches and download pocket queries as gpx files. I use Mobile Atlas Creator to create map books in which ever format and scale I require and for which ever area I am caching in - it's so unbelievably easy to use! I load these into my Trekbuddy software and away we go, with map or compass view.

I have the standard 8GB card that came with the phone and I get really fast tracking and map views.

I get incredibly good gps, spot on or within a couple of metres every time except in really dense tree cover. Battery lasts around 5 hours on a trail.

I pay £18 a month to Virgin, incl unlimited internet.

237 caches later and I can't see any need for a Garmin now!