National Ocean Service non-PID benchmark Locatons

Black Dog Trackers

This site is a clickable U.S. map. Each of the saltwater coast states can be entered to get a list of entries, each with a serial number and 'station' location name. Click on one of these entries and you'll get a list of a few (about 10) benchmarks. Some have PID links and the others have no PID. The ones with no PID link are the ones of interest here.

I am assuming that the non-PID benchmarks are not in the NGS database (and consequently not in the Geocaching database). I'm sure this isn't all of the NOS benchmark database, partly because there is another area in that site that lists stations for great lakes states but without their locations.

The non-PID benchmarks have no lat-lon coordinates. They only have verbal descriptions of the location. (Actually, each serial numbered 'station' list of 6 or 7 benchmarks has a general lat-lon location, but I have no idea of the maximum distance the listed benchmarks are from such coordinates.)

Since they aren't in the database, these non-PID benchmarks are not 'loggable' on the Geocaching site at this time - you can't increase your 'stats', upload pics, etc., with them. However, it might be fun to try to find some of them if they're in your area. icon_smile.gif