Geocache mistaken for a pipe bomb

<BIG SNIP>

Fourth, Common sense Is very rarely the guiding principle of LEO's in a situation like that. (I'm not trying to be sarcastic either). Consider, that with the exception of an Andy Griffith style small town sheriff, most police officers would be risking suspension, a reprimand, or job loss by not following SOP for something like that.

<snip>

There is the biggest note. These threads pump full of people blaming, insulting or scoffing at the LEOs'. When a call/complaint is made that there may be a bomb, that puts a very strict SOP into effect. Not only would individual officers be making career risks, the police agency in charge would be risking federal liability if they don't go by the book.

There are plenty of resources confirming that DHS and other federal oversight has the power to pull what little funding they give from these departments as well as hold officers criminally liable if they step out of the bounds of the SOP laid out for them. Not to mention the civil possibilities if there is even a minor chance that the "device" will put a citizen under duress or in harms way.

Also kids are creating devices these days that are far more powerful than just some black powder in a container with a fuse. Its not hard to get the formula for nitroglycerin, or other explosives off the internet.

So where are all these kids, and all these bombs? I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. "I read it on the internet" isn't a source.

I'm going to do my best to not open this thread. Somebody Message me when an actual bomb turns up under a lamp skirt or attached to a street sign.

Meh, I'm not doing all the research for you either. Quick searches will get you plenty of articles on the ones who GOT CAUGHT. Now I don't know whether you want to call 1,000 per year in the US a bunch. . . . but it's certainly enough to notice.

I got the 1,000/year stat from NOVA (on PBS). It was an interesting episode to watch . . . They don't cite their sources on their stat page, but due to their ATF references on the page and in the show, I'm willing to guess they consulted the ATF and DOJ sponsored BATS system. I don't have a login, but an Info officer from any number of agencies could probably help you out.

So after I wrote the above. I realized you took a quote about types of explosives. From what you write your beef seems to be with whether teens really blow up street signs and lamp skirts.

Lamp skirts, I dunno. Street signs . . . . yeah. Just like they get shot up, painted on etc. Usually kids blow up things succesfully because their bombs are simple enough. Unless you've got a scanner-addicted news director or assignment editor at your local news, you aren't likely to hear about the signs that blew up -especially if the fools don't get caught. Depending on your police department, you may have an online blotter to scan through.

One source for you is me. I work in news in Colorado Springs. I've driven to and from numerous explosive calls. Bottle bombs in the driveway, blown up score-board using a "chemical explosive", numerous street lights and signs being shot out or damaged by explosives were all on the list and rarely reported.

<deleted cause I was a smart-a**>

Edited by scorpio_dark

So here's an update on the CO. He's decided to archive all his caches because of this nonsense. Yes, I fully believe it's nonsense. I understand the whole "treat everything as if it were a bomb, these guys are risking their lives" arguments.

It's a shame that an active and responsible cacher/cache hider is now choosing not only to stop placing caches, but to archive all of his active caches because one got demolished. I wish I knew how to link here, it's just over my head at this point but it shouldn't be too hard for one of you savvy folks to verify.

Sorry, but I am unable to verify this statement for you at this time.

List of owned caches by the owner of the cache that caused this topic. ;)

Perhaps he has changed his mind, perhaps he just hasn't had the time.

Perhaps it is just smoke in a whiffle ball. :)

Ya, I was going with what he said in the logs listed above. I think he'll get around to it, but not yet. See what I get for speaking a bit too soon?

You dont need to archive any of them. That is the wrong thing to do. Just dont replace the one that was destroyed.

The reason the CO gave for archiving all his caches is that he received a bill from Lake County for the cost of the bomb scare. He didn't say how much but I'm sure it is in the thousands of dollars. Even if he never pays a dime the hassle alone might give one pause about placing caches.

So far he has archived 22 of his 28 caches including one very nice scenic spot that was my third find. That one I may replace my self.

You dont need to archive any of them. That is the wrong thing to do. Just dont replace the one that was destroyed.

The reason the CO gave for archiving all his caches is that he received a bill from Lake County for the cost of the bomb scare. He didn't say how much but I'm sure it is in the thousands of dollars. Even if he never pays a dime the hassle alone might give one pause about placing caches.

So far he has archived 22 of his 28 caches including one very nice scenic spot that was my third find. That one I may replace my self.

This pees me off! The god danged cache owner called the god danged bomb squad telling them about the issue. If they won't stop being such morons, maybe he wouldn't have to pay for it! Personally, I'd call them up and tell them to shove the bill up their.... Oh, I'd be furious!

yeah, made my post kid friendly after typing a very angry post!