Geocache mistaken for a pipe bomb

I believe the cache that was involved was called Click it or Ticket. It's no longer listed, but I still have the info in my iPod app. It was a small cammo'd medicine bottle at the base of a Click it or Ticket road sign on the side of a two lane highway in the country. It wasn't near any buildings other than some nearby farms.

befroggy

So what do we intend doing to prevent this type of issue developing again?

Film some public service announcements about how illogical it is to assume that an object located at the base of a road sign in the middle of nowhere with an extremely low probability of anyone visiting the location by accident would be a pipe bomb?

Put out flyers encouraging the public to use common sense?

We could try the labeling the container thing that goes hand and hand with these threads, but it's been pointed out numerous times that labels would have very little effect on people who tend to react out of fear rather than using their brains.

*** The first 2 paragraphs contain my humorous response to an absurd situation. The last paragraph contains my serious response based on prior thread of a similar nature.

It was GC274MP. It's archived now.

befroggy

I got close. I was looking on the maps near GCWK30 Hot Dog! based on what I read in the news story.

Interesting log by a local cacher that is also apparently a police officer:

May 18 by Tag-along2 (227 found)

I will give a little bit of background on this geocache.

Cal-Trans found the cache however, they did not know what it was.

So they called into CHP and said that they "thought" they had found a bomb!!

Well it all went to s...... after that. I heard the call come out on the radio.

Well being a geocacher my intial thought was "it's a cache". I do not have an

Iphone nor do i have computer service 24/7. So I called a friend (In-Cahoots).

I had her look up the area and asked if she could find a listing for this geocache.

She found it and I asked her what the name of it was. I called into dispatch and told them what it might be, but unfortunately, they couldn't really take my word for it at this time.

I went into dispatch and explained the situation to the dispatchers. I then was able to find out the owner of the cache and got ahold of Ken. Well, it's about 1 - 1 1/2 hours into the situation at this point and the bomb squad had already been called out. I'm assuming that the CHP (Lake County) spoke to Ken but they continued the resources to dispose of the problem because they were not 100% sure that it was NOT a bomb. Unfortunately, traffic had to be diverted and made a true mess out of highway 29 for about 3 1/2 hours.

I was told that the container was "rendered safe". They didn't make it sound like they actually blew it up.

It was GC274MP. It's archived now.

befroggy

I got close. I was looking on the maps near GCWK30 Hot Dog! based on what I read in the news story.

Interesting log by a local cacher that is also apparently a police officer:

May 18 by Tag-along2 (227 found)

I will give a little bit of background on this geocache.

Cal-Trans found the cache however, they did not know what it was.

So they called into CHP and said that they "thought" they had found a bomb!!

Well it all went to s...... after that. I heard the call come out on the radio.

Well being a geocacher my intial thought was "it's a cache". I do not have an

Iphone nor do i have computer service 24/7. So I called a friend (In-Cahoots).

I had her look up the area and asked if she could find a listing for this geocache.

She found it and I asked her what the name of it was. I called into dispatch and told them what it might be, but unfortunately, they couldn't really take my word for it at this time.

I went into dispatch and explained the situation to the dispatchers. I then was able to find out the owner of the cache and got ahold of Ken. Well, it's about 1 - 1 1/2 hours into the situation at this point and the bomb squad had already been called out. I'm assuming that the CHP (Lake County) spoke to Ken but they continued the resources to dispose of the problem because they were not 100% sure that it was NOT a bomb. Unfortunately, traffic had to be diverted and made a true mess out of highway 29 for about 3 1/2 hours.

I was told that the container was "rendered safe". They didn't make it sound like they actually blew it up.

That log is proof that even owner intervention and a previous LEO finder aren't enough to stop the 'squad' once they are on the scene...... yikes.

I was going to post this topic until I read it was already here. It's funny, without checking on the GC #, I know the people in the quote above. One was at my 10 year event. What gets me is the absolute lack of information in the newspaper article. I'm not one with links, but if you're curious check out the Lake County Record Bee. It's less than a paragraph and some stupid picture that could be any incident on the side of this highway. They don't even call it by name, they just say something about a treasure hunting game played partially on the internet.

Initially, I was going to say something about terrorists not even knowing where Lake County CA is. Trust me, for those of you who aren't familiar with the area, it's a dump. Pretty lake (sometimes) and pretty mountains, but the towns are absolutely trash with very few exceptions (no offense meant to the OP, please don't take it personally). With that in mind I then thought "Hey, there's a lot of Meth (a LOT) in lake county, this could be something that a ticked off or delusional tweaker or spun out high school kid might do in this area.

I'm hoping this was the concern involved for calling the bomb squad, as there is no way in Hades that a terrorist would strike LC. None.

Now I'm gonna go look at the cache listing.

Next time I'll read the cache page first. The CO was also at my 10 year event. I'm familiar with some of his hides. How this was mistaken for a pipe bomb is beyond me. Pill bottle=pipe bomb? Wow...

these are great times, no? mcguyver could have done more with less... heck that guy with the underwear bomb did more...

:laughing:

That log is proof that even owner intervention and a previous LEO finder aren't enough to stop the 'squad' once they are on the scene...... yikes.

i would imagine the squad is an interesting bunch of folks.... sometimes some things just need to be blown up. if it wasn't a pill bottle with a paper log inside... it would have been an old pinto.

Wow. I agree with whoever spoke about the paper giving as little info as possible. I don't understand why it has been archived now. It seems like the cops now know not to worry about the pill container. I did have to laugh a little bit about terrorist deciding to go and blow up a major road like this. At least the cops got some practice at defusing a situation.

At least the cops got some practice at defusing a situation.
You know, I honestly think this has more to do with it than anything, in this and in many similar cases. These guys aren't stupid. Yeah, they weren't 100% sure... but are you ever, about anything? Are they 100% sure that the Coke can that might have been lying 10 feet away wasn't filled with explosives? Of course not! And once they had the information from the geocaching cop. they were much more than 1% sure that it was NOT a geocache, yet they chose to go ahead with their "drill".

They were just found this to be a perfect excuse for a drill.

You know, I honestly think this has more to do with it than anything, in this and in many similar cases. These guys aren't stupid. Yeah, they weren't 100% sure... but are you ever, about anything? Are they 100% sure that the Coke can that might have been lying 10 feet away wasn't filled with explosives? Of course not! And once they had the information from the geocaching cop. they were much more than 1% sure that it was NOT a geocache, yet they chose to go ahead with their "drill".

Bombs are rarely about terrorists. Kids make bombs for fun. Do a simple Google search and you will find online detailed instructions to make bombs out of just about anything.

We public don't hear a lot about it but EOD guys sure do.

So, put yourself in their shoes. You know from observation and experience that bombs are in fact quite common and are frequently created in a huge variety of containers. Most bombs aren't meant to cause damage, they're created for kicks. Who would hang a bomb on a road sign? The same people who would spray paint graffiti on it.

So someone tells you "I think somebody hung a bomb on that sign... see that thing hanging on the back of it? How about you check it out for me?"

Someone else tells you "Nah, I don't think that's a bomb, I think it's just a geocache... I saw on the internet that there's supposed to be a geocache there. You know, a geocache, one of those things somebody hides somewhere."

You don't really think it's a bomb, but more than anything else you want to go home physically intact.

Are you going to say "Well, it may not be a bomb, I reckon I'll just mosey over there and open it, see if anything blows up."

Or are you gonna treat it as if you know for a fact that it is dangerous and do whatever needs to be done to render it safe?

My bet is you'll render it safe without hesitation. :D

You in fact CAN be 100% certain that if you treat every suspicious package as if you knew it to be a bomb that it won't surprise you.

EOD is kind of like the old saying about pilots - There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots! :laughing:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Bombs are rarely about terrorists. Kids make bombs for fun. Do a simple Google search and you will find online detailed instructions to make bombs out of just about anything.

So, put yourself in their shoes. You know from observation and experience that bombs are in fact quite common and are frequently created in a huge variety of containers. Most bombs aren't meant to cause damage, they're created for kicks. Who would hang a bomb on a road sign? The same people who would spray paint graffiti on it.

So someone tells you "I think somebody hung a bomb on that sign... see that thing hanging on the back of it? How about you check it out for me?"

Someone else tells you "Nah, I don't think that's a bomb, I think it's just a geocache... I saw on the internet that there's supposed to be a geocache there. You know, a geocache, one of those things somebody hides somewhere."

You don't really think it's a bomb, but more than anything else you want to go home physically intact.

Are you going to say "Well, it may not be a bomb, I reckon I'll just mosey over there and open it, see if anything blows up."

Or are you gonna treat it as if you know for a fact that it is dangerous and do whatever needs to be done to render it safe?

You in fact CAN be 100% certain that if you treat every suspicious package as if you knew it to be a bomb that it won't surprise you.

EOD is kind of like the old saying about pilots - There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots! :laughing:

Nawww.... sorry, but I can't agree with you, in this case, at least. They had reasonable doubt that it was a bomb. As I pointed out, that Coke can or "empty" McDonald's bag in the ditch nearby is just as likely to be a bomb. The ONLY thing (based on the information that we have available to us) that made the cache "more likely" was the call that reported it as a bomb.

Whatever kind of container it was... seriously, why would anyone plant a bomb on a road sign? What makes a person who sees an unfamiliar object immediately think "bomb!?"

Perhaps they read the newspaper or otherwise maintain an awareness of current events. The 6 'o clock news?

Hard to say.

So, put yourself in their shoes.

My bet is you'll render it safe without hesitation.

Ed, I do put my self in their shoes, every day. As someone who has responded to literally thousands of so called "suspicious" objects, I can tell you it doesn't take a water cannon to render something safe. Sometimes all it takes it a bit of observation, coupled with a bit of logic. The concept of "We gotta make sure every single thing we touch, hear or say is 100% safe" is a nanny state mindset that serves only to stagnate any government agency. One of the "suspicious" objects I responded to last month was a banana peel on a guardrail. Yes, a real banana peel. Some fidiot thought it looked suspicious, so I was dispatched. Your solution would've had me passing the buck to EOD, because, technically, Al-Queda could've rigged a device to look like a banana peel, with the intention of blowing up a section of guardrail in the middle of nowhere. Sorry, but I can't accept that as a reasonable response.

So what do we intend doing to prevent this type of issue developing again?

We do nothing.

We continue to hide caches in urban settings which by their very design and location cause our fellow geocachers to go around poking in bushes, scrounging behind strip malls or other businesses, or crawl all over utility junction boxes or wiring lockers or all around the components that make up fire suppression and extinguishing systems.

That's what we do.

Edited by Team Cotati

snip content

I didn't see any smilies or other indication that this was meant to be irony or humor, but I hope this post was just you playing devil's advocate because I generally respect what you have to say.

*** This post is meant to convey my disbelief that a respected geocacher and former reviewer would hold such an irrational position.

I grew up in that county and lived there for 30 years. In the past, the 'officials' have been known to make rash calls just to have something to do (including giving a 4-year old a driving record!). This is the second cache that has been at that location so I would not say that it is a 'bad' location, just some 'good ol' boys wantin' for somethin' to do'. Now, I am not knocking ALL of the law enforcement in the county as many of them are great people but there are the ones who lack in a lot of common sense (I went to school with several of them) and would rather make a call than to 'observe' what is in front of them

snip content

I didn't see any smilies or other indication that this was meant to be irony or humor, but I hope this post was just you playing devil's advocate because I generally respect what you have to say.

*** This post is meant to convey my disbelief that a respected geocacher and former reviewer would hold such an irrational position.

I'm okay with irrational. :laughing:

I know nothing about bombs and bomb disposal; all I can do is imagine what *I* would do if I were in that situation.

Rational thought tells me that the suspect item probably isn't a bomb.

My perhaps irrational desire to keep my hands attached to my body tells me that I'm not about to pick that item up after someone says "I think that may be a bomb."

Rational thought tells me that I'm smart enough to look at something and decide if it's safe. The less-than-always-rational part of my brain says "You've been wrong before, and when it comes to things which go bang you only get to be wrong once!" :D

when it comes to things which go bang you only get to be wrong once!"

Not neccesarily. Paper bags filled with air and slapped appropriately go boom. :laughing:

*** This post is not intended to convey an argument in favor of things that go boom. It's simply a successful attempt to amuse myself and anyone else who still possess an oddly shaped funny bone.

Nawww.... sorry, but I can't agree with you, in this case, at least. They had reasonable doubt that it was a bomb. As I pointed out, that Coke can or "empty" McDonald's bag in the ditch nearby is just as likely to be a bomb. The ONLY thing (based on the information that we have available to us) that made the cache "more likely" was the call that reported it as a bomb.

Hello, exactly! Apparently, the bomb "expert" is the person who finds it and calls it in. I'm guessing the ball gets rolling when the guy who might have 0% knowledge of bombs called it one. Which means, the bomb squad, in essence, is relying on regular Joe's to determine if it's a bomb.

Need trash in a ditch picked up? Call it in as a bomb!

OK, I'll give you that one. But if kids made a bomb out of a film can and put it on a signpost, either (1) it would blow up the sign post, or (2) it's a dud and doesn't blow up the sign post. If situation (1) happens, no one is going to find the bomb and call it in; they are going to find a broken sign post. Ergo if someone is calling in that they found the bomb, the bomb has already failed.

I'm gonna need a cite for "bombs are in fact quite common." I think there's a difference between fireworks and bombs.

Anyway, we're talking about a FILM CAN here. If you stuffed it full of black powder and put a fuse in it, I suppose you could call it a bomb. The lid would blow off before you got enough pressure for a real explosion; it would be more flash than bang.

But again, if they found the film can with the lid on it, it failed to detonate. Even if it's filled with black powder, it's not going to explode if someone takes the lid off and looks inside.

"But what if there's an electronic thingy with a motion detector that makes it explode when you move it?" Well, now we're way beyond kids making things go boom, aren't we? If it has an electronic trigger it's much more sophisticated than that, we're back to terrorists and the original question of what kind of rational terrorist would blow up a rural road sign?

... kind of rational terrorist would blow up ...

Now there's a oxymoron if I ever heard one...

A terrorist or a serial killer has a different set of core beliefs than you or I. His actions based on those beliefs are rational, within his framework. That's why a good profiler can predict the next move of a serial killer. The killer is acting rationally, within his own set of rules, and so his actions can be predicted.

Putting a bomb on a rural roadsign is not a rational act within the terrorists framework. (It might be a rational act within the framework of "kids making things go boom," as mentioned earlier in the thread.)

Putting a bomb on a rural roadsign is not a rational act within the terrorists framework.

While I agree with you, it might be a part of a grand plan to take out all the road signs. Or even select road signs. People would not know how to drive and crash into each other, creating mass chaos. Or KAOS.

But if there is little logic to a terrorist threat, people do not necessarily think logically. Therefore, an ammo can covered with a circuit board, a cache made out of pvc pipe, or even a film cannister attached to an object ends up being called in. And once called in . . . .

I was happy the other day when workers at a supermarket came up to me to ask why they see people putting things in that particular lamp post, rather than call in the bomb squad. But if I had not gotten my hair cut in recent weeks I might have looked more like a wild-eyed terrorist rather than a old guy doing funny things. And there might have been yet another report.

OK, I'll give you that one. But if kids made a bomb out of a film can and put it on a signpost, either (1) it would blow up the sign post, or (2) it's a dud and doesn't blow up the sign post. If situation (1) happens, no one is going to find the bomb and call it in; they are going to find a broken sign post. Ergo if someone is calling in that they found the bomb, the bomb has already failed.

I'm gonna need a cite for "bombs are in fact quite common." I think there's a difference between fireworks and bombs.

Anyway, we're talking about a FILM CAN here. If you stuffed it full of black powder and put a fuse in it, I suppose you could call it a bomb. The lid would blow off before you got enough pressure for a real explosion; it would be more flash than bang.

But again, if they found the film can with the lid on it, it failed to detonate. Even if it's filled with black powder, it's not going to explode if someone takes the lid off and looks inside.

"But what if there's an electronic thingy with a motion detector that makes it explode when you move it?" Well, now we're way beyond kids making things go boom, aren't we? If it has an electronic trigger it's much more sophisticated than that, we're back to terrorists and the original question of what kind of rational terrorist would blow up a rural road sign?

Sorry, I can appreciate the logic of your thought process, But your argument is built on a faulty premice. Several of them infact. And a lack of real world experience with the subject.

First of, you seem to belive that blackpowder pored into a pipe, with a fuse stuffed into it is all that a "kid" is capable of producing. Speaking candidly, by the time I was 15 I had deployed dozens of what would now be termed IED'd using considerably more powerfull explosives that blackpowder, and an array of ignition devices ranging from both chemical, electric, and mechanical timers. To antitamper devices. Ofcourse, this was back when that sort of thing was considered good clean redneck fun. Don't belive me? that's fine. Google roguescience, or thehive, or AP (acetone peroxide).

Second you seem to believe that a fuse is either on or off. this is not true, a fuse can appear to go out, while infact it is really smouldering. Only to reignite at a really inopportune moment hours or minutes later.

Third, While a film can full of blackpowder would probably only produce singed eyebrows,mild burns.and ruptured eardrums at close range, most any higher order explosive is capable of killing you with only the blast wave at those ranges. If you bothered to google AP, you now know that not only is it super easy to make, by say your average 12yr old. But it's EXTEMELY unstable! As in even if the ignitor fails, it can still explode from shock,age,temperature change, or even just giving it a dirty look. :rolleyes:

Fourth, Common sense Is very rarely the guiding principle of LEO's in a situation like that. (I'm not trying to be sarcastic either). Consider, that with the exception of an Andy Griffith style small town sheriff, most police officers would be risking suspension, a reprimand, or job loss by not following SOP for something like that.

Are all those things something you would be willing to risk for the sake of a game where you don't know the people involved, and may or maynot approve of what they are doing in the first place?

People can argue all they want on the fact that others should use common sense when it comes to muggles calling in geocaches as bombs all they want. Understand that muggles dont know what a geocache is, all they know is that something is out of place. With what I did in the Navy knowing when something is out of place, or doesnt look right could mean the difference between life and death for you. Also consider the blast force of a blasting cap if you will, it has enough force to kill you if you are next to it when it goes off. A blasting cap is total size wise smaller than a 35mm film canister. Also kids are creating devices these days that are far more powerful than just some black powder in a container with a fuse. Its not hard to get the formula for nitroglycerin, or other explosives off the internet. Hell most sites will tell you exactly how to make it step by step. So while the LEO's in this case were told that it was a geocache SOP says call the bomb squad, and that is what they had to do. Who is to say that someone didnt replace the cache with a real IED? When dealing with an unknown device it is better to be safe than sorry.

Also kids are creating devices these days that are far more powerful than just some black powder in a container with a fuse. Its not hard to get the formula for nitroglycerin, or other explosives off the internet.

So where are all these kids, and all these bombs? I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. "I read it on the internet" isn't a source.

I'm going to do my best to not open this thread. Somebody Message me when an actual bomb turns up under a lamp skirt or attached to a street sign.

Also kids are creating devices these days that are far more powerful than just some black powder in a container with a fuse. Its not hard to get the formula for nitroglycerin, or other explosives off the internet.

So where are all these kids, and all these bombs? I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. "I read it on the internet" isn't a source.

I'm going to do my best to not open this thread. Somebody Message me when an actual bomb turns up under a lamp skirt or attached to a street sign.

You want proof that kids do this ok how about this Dont look if you dont want to read about Columbine High

You want proof that kids do this ok how about this Dont look if you dont want to read about Columbine High

They weren't attacking sign posts.

They weren't attacking sign posts.

I am not saying they were, merely pointing out that with technology today kids have the ability to make bombs with a lot more potential to do harm than just some black powder in a 35mm canister with a simple fuse. Take it for what you want though. Training in certain areas teaches you thinks that others just dont think about.

As an exit strategy this sounds a lot like you running away with your fingers in your ears screaming. Laa..Laaa..Laaaa I can't hear you so it isn't true. :rolleyes::D:D

I don't know about a lamp post, or a street sign, because I'm not willing to do your research for you. But would A fence do? A quick google search on the very first page reveals that for the last several months, the Hemet police have been subjected to boobytraps by a (suspected) biker gang. Including a "small nondescript device mounted on a fence". :D HMMM... That doesn't sound at all familiar. Now does it? (sarcasm)

This may start to get ugly for Cachers. Eveyone is paranoid now. Any suspicious activity is reported more often now. Shutting down streets and other areas is going to happen more and more, unfortunately. Guess I'll stop using rocket launcher casings for my cache containers....just kidding! (I don't use them).

2010-05-20162428.jpg2010-05-20162434.jpg

I found this today! At first I actually thought I did find a bomb... It was 20 feet from the coords, (He had really bad coords), not to mention that it was listed as a micro, (because the inside is small.) Oh, and the fact for a "micro", away from the coords it weighed a crap ton. It was made out of concrete. I'm ignoring the fact the camo is almost completely gone, in fact, I was so taken back by it I didn't even notice the camo until after I opened it.