Permission for Caches

Obviously, people who hide caches are supposed to get permission for the places where they put them. And oftentimes, the description says "cache placed by permission of ___". But what about when it doesn't? Do you just assume that it's placed with permission?

Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for trespassing while hunting a cache that they assumed was placed with permission? What happened?

Obviously, people who hide caches are supposed to get permission for the places where they put them. And oftentimes, the description says "cache placed by permission of ___". But what about when it doesn't? Do you just assume that it's placed with permission?

Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for trespassing while hunting a cache that they assumed was placed with permission? What happened?

This is becoming a problem. I cache with a droid, so now before I get out of my truck I check the cache location on the assessors page to see who owns the property I'm on. If it's county property then I proceed if it's anything else I check for no trespassing signs, fences, anything that would indicate an unfriendly owner.

If you read enough of the topics here in the forums you will find numerous instances of cachers having problems with owners and non-owners when hunting. Even caches placed with explicit permission can be a problem when someone spots a cacher searching and that someone is not aware of the properly granted permission. This is really not more of a problem now than it has been for years.

I assume any cache that is published has adequate permission. If I arrive for the hunt and decide I am not comfortable with the situation I leave. I will then contact the cache owner and ask for clarification regarding permission and access. This process has worked well for me for more than six years so far.

There was a situation in Texas earlier this year. A micro was placed in a lamp post in a store parking lot, leading to a bomb scare. A cacher who found it was arrested, but charges were later dropped. These threads discuss that incident:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=240879

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239581

The cache may have been GC22095.

funny story about this asking permission- today in the poring rain i set out for the 3rd time to just inform residents next to a park where i hid a cache.. just to be nice. and again third time no answer. im sure by now they have seen ppl poking around in the bushes - but i think i did all i can. the park is not on their propety in fact there is a very narrow street dividing the park and the house but again i just wanted to inform them..