"Bird House" Cache Attached to Tree

From the listing guidelines: "Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method" are off limits and are subject to being archived.

A good test: If you removed your cache, would there be any remaining evidence that the cache was ever there? Here, it sounds like a hole in a tree would be left behind.

We did one of these caches one time that was done with permission of the land manager. I think the reason they were allowed to do it, is that there were lots of other functional birdhouses on the same land that were nailed/screwed into the trees.

I will say that the geocache birdhouse was over 100 feet from any functional birdhouse, greatly reducing the chance of searching a functional birdhouse, and upon a 2nd look, there was something "not quite right" about the birdhouse used for the geocache that made it obvious that was your target.

I think it all comes down to a LOT of communication between the cache owner, the land manager, and Groundspeak.