Learning my GPSr.

Mantis8854

So I would like to start hunting benchmarks around town to start, Is there a way to use the .loc files to set markers in my GPSr? I have a garmin Colorado 400 tn (just out of the box). I know that I shouldn't rely on my hand set to get me to a bench mark, but I would like to figure out how to at least get it to tell me how to get close. tnx

So... I guess I'll also mention that you don't necessarily have to use the paperless aspect of your Colorado to hunt benchmarks (which is what a lot of those links above are about) - to start off, it might be easier to just print out the datasheet to to have with you and then dump the .loc into MapSource and send it to your GPSr.

Just remember that the coordinates of a scaled mark can be way off and the descriptions in the datasheet will be important in finding the mark.

Newbie to benchmark hunting, but not to navigating with a GPS (since circa 1992).

I'm finding it's useful to load up the GPS topo software and also fire up Google Earth. I can get a clear "overview" (literally) of the area I'm searching, and both applications provide for pinpointing coordinates.

Scaled coordinates may be significantly inaccurate. There's some discussion of this on the FAQ here.

I print out the USG data sheet, and then navigate using the topo map app. in my GPS. But also, I use the screen that displays location coordinates, a magnetic compass, and a surveyor's/contractor's 200' tape.

Nice to have a shovel, trowel for excavation, a "probe" (Long shaft screwdriver).

I suppose "paperless" is one way to go. My GPS offers this option, but I really like having the USG data sheet in hand.

I print out the USG data sheet, and then navigate using the topo map app. in my GPS. But also, I use the screen that displays location coordinates, a magnetic compass, and a surveyor's/contractor's 200' tape.

Nice to have a shovel, trowel for excavation, a "probe" (Long shaft screwdriver).

I suppose "paperless" is one way to go. My GPS offers this option, but I really like having the USG data sheet in hand.

I have found using a covered clipboard the way to go with benchmarking. If anyone asks what I'm doing, I flip through the pages while they wait for an answer. :blink: I have a distance wheel and a yellow vest to go with the goodies that Allison mentioned above.