Different locations on online maps

scoutpaddle

My son is setting up a cache, his first. Plugged everything Geocaching.com. It is still in the review queue. We checked his latitude and longitude on bing maps before we set up cache and all looked great. Now however on google maps with his latitude and longitude it shows the wrong side of the road.

Why is google and bing different?

Went to itouchmap.com and it is the same as bing and our gpsr.

What should we do?

My son is setting up a cache, his first. Plugged everything Geocaching.com. It is still in the review queue. We checked his latitude and longitude on bing maps before we set up cache and all looked great. Now however on google maps with his latitude and longitude it shows the wrong side of the road.

What should we do?

Nothing.

Correction. You didn't use a gpsr to obtain your coordinates?

Never mind.

Edited by Team Cotati

What should we do?

Trust your GPS. Unless it has a apple on it. :laughing:

I have always used Google maps without seeing any error, but it has an annoying habit of also marking the closest road and this can be confusing. I have seen it where the road marker overlaps the true position marker. Could this be the problem ?

On my blackberry only the nearest road is given, but this morning I found how to stop this. By adding 'loc:' before the coordinates only the true position is marked.

Wish I had known this or thought of Bing while searching yesterday :-(

Online maps (ok well - all maps) are notorious for being slightly off from place to place.

The published accuracy of most maps is around +/- 48 feet at well known locations or worse.

"+/-"? How can you be a negative 48 feet from something?

I think ≤48' is what you're looking for.

(Just feeling nit-picky today :rolleyes: )

What should we do?

i use yellowpages.com/maps and geocoder.us --- and itouchmap.com/latlong.html the yellowpages one you click on birds eye and zoom in and it takes you right there geocoder will give you the coordinates for an address wile itouchmap you can move the marker and get the coordinates..

I am not sure how this affects the issues involved, but I found that if you have your Datum set wrong, it will result in the same coordinates being assigned to wide ranging variation. I am still figuring this part out myself, so someone with more understanding could help set us straight! Thanks, RMHO

Online maps (ok well - all maps) are notorious for being slightly off from place to place.

The published accuracy of most maps is around +/- 48 feet at well known locations or worse.

"+/-"? How can you be a negative 48 feet from something?

I think ≤48' is what you're looking for.

(Just feeling nit-picky today :D )

:rolleyes:

:D

Most notoriously known things are known as such by a large portion of the public and typically in an unfavorable light.

Maps? I seriously doubt that.