What's the best way to start a Geocoin collection?

cappazushi

I am a coin collector. However, I don't really have any interest in monetary value coins like other family members of mine. They are boring! Almost always the same, year in and year out. What I love to collect is tokens and token-style coins.

One of the thing that attracted me to Geocaching was the prospect of building an interesting coin collection - Geocoins, wooden nickels, pathtags (it actually seems like every day I discover some sort of new, trackable/collectible coin). Of course, waiting until I find these things in caches/trade for them at events (I know not to keep traveling coins, don't worry) would make it all the more "authentic" of a collection...but I don't think I can wait long enough to get lucky! There are so many intriguing designs out there just waiting to disappear because of their "limitedness," so much coiny goodness to be collected.

How did you all get started coin collecting? Any recommendations for someone starting out?

An ancient and wise geocoin collector once told me, grasshopper, the best way to build a collection of geocoins, is to have a personal coin made...although a much bigger initial cost, it was eventually less expensive than buying all of my coins, and allowed to begin meeting and trading with many people that also had coins for trade.

I'd also suggest hanging out, at least occasionally, on the geocoin forum...get a feel for what kind of coins you like...my favorites, doggie associated coins (my first coin featured a picture of my dogs Logan and Heineken.) Check out peoples trading links. My coins are listed on a site that includes some very major collectors...most have pictures of the coins they own, available for your viewing pleasure.

Attend, if possible, some of the mega events (geocoinfest might be of particular interest to you.) Most of the megas will have a special time and place for the geocoin collectors to meet (usually somewhere around midnight, the witching hour, in a deep, dark cave far away from the slightly more sane geocachers.)

Good luck on your new hobby!

ILYK

there just happens to be a very popular geocoin designer that lives in Japan, and frequents these forums. :) this person may just invite you, or inform you, as to events in Japan. i believe there are already plans in the works for a 10/10/10 multi-event with a geocoin being produced just for the occasion, too. i'm sure Japan will participate. this event may be a great place to buy, sell, or trade for a few shiny beauties! :D

i think this designer will eventually reply here. :)

Gotcha. :D

I looked around juuuuuust a little bit but I think I know which geocoin I want to make my first. I logged my first cache find during the 10 years anniversary weekend, on May 2, so can I really go with anything other than this?

http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail....;ProductID=307#

I think not! Now I just have to figure out how to get one across the seas!

Well, it's backordered. And

Please Note: This store does not ship to non-distributor international customers. Please visit the distributor list for international product orders. To ship to a domestic PO Box, please select the USPS option.

I really wanted a patch, too. :)

There are two websites that sell in Japan, but neither stock that coin either. I can order things to my home in America, however.

Edited by cappazushi

Well, there are a few other online shops that are selling this coin (they are distributors) so I would just google "big blue switch geocoin" and check the sites that pop up. :)

edited to add: ok, so drneal beat me to it...but I was able to see a shop that had some in stock - they aren't in Japan but would most likely ship them there for you. Good luck.

Edited by ELTADA

Howdy!

I'm stationed in Japan (I'm in Zushi), and so far I haven't attended any geocoin-related events (for trading, or anything like that). That's not to say there aren't any, tho. You might want to check out the Asia Forums, try posting something there. And keep an eye out for events in your area. Or, heck, just host one. If you post it, they will come. ; )

Also, you could try the Misawa Geocachers Organization, but when I was there last, there really wasn't a vibrant geocoin community up there (the organization is very new and they're just trying to get a geocaching community going, much less any other kind of community). It's pretty far from where you live, but Tuck & Green are a Japanese geocaching couple from Akita prefecture who are very, very active in hiding caches and geocaching and who might help you find local (Japanese) groups.

As for how I personally get coins? So far, I buy them (or get them sent to me as payment for designs). I'm lucky to be able to use the US Postal Service (military mail), so I don't have problems with Groundspeak not shipping to Japan (because, really, they're shipping to California. ; ) ). If you run into major problems routing the coin through the States, feel free to PM me and maybe we can work something out whereby the coins come to me and I pop them into the (Japanese) Post for you. I'm not the speediest of errand-runners and my work schedule constrains my ability to go to the (Japanese) post office; OTOH I'd be happy to help out as best I can if you don't mind a couple days' delay.