Has anyone heard of a cache being 'groped'? (not the rude kind)

I have had this log posted on this cache today. Has anyone heard of it before?

We're back ;-) in actual fact really we never went away. We're just *very* patient....

This has been "groped" (GROup for Environmental Protection). The container and it's contents have been removed and destroyed.

Your environmental vandalism will NOT be tolerated.

Before any of you morons bleat on about us removing this "geolitter" (your phrase not ours!), remember that dropping LITTER (ie these pathetic containers) is a CRIMINAL offence punishable by a fine up to £1,000.

So please, feel free, go into the police and make a complaint.

72 and counting....

Can we get this person banned from the site or something?

if the cache was placed with permission, go to the police, because this is technically stealing (somebody in Washington, US or somewhere like that actually got imprisoned for it) and should be treated as such. However, if this was placed without permission, or there is a law against geocaches in your area, etc. then maybe they have a point and you shouldn't mention it to the police.

Hope to see them kicked off of the geocaching site.

There was a discussion about this sort of behaviour on the latest Podcacher podcast.

Show 269 - Podcacher

A growing trend it seems where certain individuals have nominated themselves as cache police and are removing caches that they deem to be enviromentally unsound.

Understandably their methods are upsetting quite a few cachers out there as they dive in and take the cache without any attempt to contact the owner or local reviewer first.

We visited a cache where the previuos finders were Darlington CID :D:D who happy this was not a drugs drop off point :) wished us all happy caching.

I have had this log posted on this cache today. Has anyone heard of it before?

We're back ;-) in actual fact really we never went away. We're just *very* patient....

This has been "groped" (GROup for Environmental Protection). The container and it's contents have been removed and destroyed.

Your environmental vandalism will NOT be tolerated.

Before any of you morons bleat on about us removing this "geolitter" (your phrase not ours!), remember that dropping LITTER (ie these pathetic containers) is a CRIMINAL offence punishable by a fine up to £1,000.

So please, feel free, go into the police and make a complaint.

72 and counting....

Can we get this person banned from the site or something?

Shouldn't they have said "group-ed" or "gep-ed" :D

They do have a point though. We are basically adding to the world's litter.

Permission or not!

Thats why GC.com has CITO days. To ease their collective conciousness.

I've never quite equated picking up litter with caching.

If it was a micro no one will be that bothered. :)

It's been said before..........

They are doing it for the attention, and discussing them in an open forum or on cache logs plays right into their hands.

No doubt they are reading this; and in which case they may be interested to know that a person trashing caches in the NW was identified and visited by the police last year.

forum.gif

Edited by Jaz666

I understand about the not discussing them thing now. I will ask the mods to remove this thread.

Thanks all

Not everyone believes that silent treatment is necessarily the best response to these kind of people. Some believe it is better to shine the light on darkness. Of course, it may also be useful to discuss certain specific responses in private / offline.

No doubt they are reading this; and in which case they may be interested to know that a person trashing caches in the NW was identified and visited by the police last year.

..and that a cacher was also in trouble with the police for theft of TBs and geocoins recently.

Caches and their contents are all owned by somebody, and their removal without permission is theft.

What I find astonishing about all the cases of cache trashing for environmental reasons (that I have seen) is that these people have designated themselves the only authority on the issue and have made no attempt to contact the cache owner or Goundspeak before carrying out their reprehensible actions.

When any of us find a case of cache trashing we go through the proper channels and call the police. These people take matters into their on hands and commit the CRIME of theft.

My advice to these people is to go through proper channels. Contact the cache owner, the reviewer who published the cache and Groundspeak. Open up a dialogue to register your concerns properly rather than antagonising people. Geocaching is a fluid hobby and can only change for the better if people register concerns like this properly.

Edited by paulbarratt

I can't help thinking that if they were really concerned about the environment, they'd be better off directing their efforts to genuine litter and the many other environmental pollutants out there. I rather suspect they're simply attention seeking.

I remember in a previous thread someone openly wondered how many miles these people must drive to protest against the pollution a lot of us who walk and cycle cause.

These bores (or this bore?) have been around for ages. Caches are not litter as long as they are active, because there is an intention to return to them and they are under some control. So the one supposedly logical reason for this action is based on a misunderstanding.

All rather sad, if your only interest in life is trying to irritate other people.