Best Place to Buy a Oregon 450?

Hey Guys,

I think I have finally decided to get the Oregon 450 :grin: I know there is a rebate going on for $50 dollars, but does anyone know the best place to buy from, or reccomend a place NOT to buy from? I wana get the best price I possibly can as money is tight and this is a splurge. Also I hear that REI offers discounts and product replacement, is that true? Any and all advice/suggestions would be great.

Also one last thing... I hear people say its better to get the 450 and download the free topo maps from the web and load them up, rather then spend the 100 bucks extra for the 450t. Does anyone know if these free maps are just as good, and are they easy to load?

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

pcnation has the 450 for $341.12 with free shipping and you get the $50 rebate from garmin on top of that. If you use bing you can get another 2.8% cash back. It is on backorder for 1-2 weeks though. I bought mine from there and have no complaints.

-JWP

pcnation has the 450 for $341.12 with free shipping and you get the $50 rebate from garmin on top of that. If you use bing you can get another 2.8% cash back. It is on backorder for 1-2 weeks though. I bought mine from there and have no complaints.

-JWP

What do you mean, if I use bing? How does that work?

I am from Pennsylvania, USA

Hey Guys,

I think I have finally decided to get the Oregon 450 :grin: I know there is a rebate going on for $50 dollars, but does anyone know the best place to buy from, or reccomend a place NOT to buy from? I wana get the best price I possibly can as money is tight and this is a splurge. Also I hear that REI offers discounts and product replacement, is that true? Any and all advice/suggestions would be great.

Also one last thing... I hear people say its better to get the 450 and download the free topo maps from the web and load them up, rather then spend the 100 bucks extra for the 450t. Does anyone know if these free maps are just as good, and are they easy to load?

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

I suggest that you consider REI even though they may be more expensive. Their return policy and level of service is unsurpassed. If something goes wrong or you don't like the unit you can take it back and get a refund or replacement with no hassle. They are a great store to buy from. The biggest selling point, though, is that starting Friday they will have the 450 on sale for $199.95.

As far as the 450t vs the 450 I would go for the 450 even though I have the 450t (it was a gift). The free maps are excellent. By the way, you will love the 450. It is an excellent unit.

OldA'sFan

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

Ooops, sorry it is the 60Csx that is on sale at REI starting Friday. The Dakota 20 is on sale for $249 including topo maps (cd).

OldA'sFan

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

Ooops, sorry it is the 60Csx that is on sale at REI starting Friday. The Dakota 20 is on sale for $249 including topo maps (cd).

OldA'sFan

Hmmm.. the Dakota 20 gets the 50 dollar rebate as well... that would bring it down to 199... do you think its better for me to get the Dakota 20(with maps) for $200 instead of the Oregon 450 which is going to cost me about $300.... is the oregon worth $100 bucks more?

Edited by SteveSquirrel

Hey Guys,

I think I have finally decided to get the Oregon 450 :) I know there is a rebate going on for $50 dollars, but does anyone know the best place to buy from, or reccomend a place NOT to buy from? I wana get the best price I possibly can as money is tight and this is a splurge. Also I hear that REI offers discounts and product replacement, is that true? Any and all advice/suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much!

Stevesquirrel

I am thinking of buying a 450 and if I do, it will be from REI. Their price is $399. Consider the following, though -- If you are a member ($20 lifetime) and willing to apply for their no-fee credit card, the following will happen:

10% rebate at end of year ($40)

5% discount for paying with their card ($20)

$40 gift card for making a purchase on the card

$50 mfr rebate

Effective price:

$250 plus sales tax on @$380 (price less 5% REI credit card discount)

As for their satisfaction guarantee, I bought a pair of $125 sunglasses from them that broke after 1 year of heavy use. I took them in to REI and asked whether they had repair parts. The response was "no, pick out another pair you like and we will apply the original purchase price to the new pair". And this was without a receipt (they could verify the purchase via my membership number). There are many similar stories if you google on REI return policy.

Edited by TomSilverSpring

I bought my Oregon 300 at R.E.I a little over a vear ago for $399.00 US, 2 weeks ago I took it back and upgraded to the Oregon 450, money out of my pocket was .99 cents plus I got the $50.00 rebate.

I used to shop around for the best price on line, but not anymore. :)

Hmmm.. the Dakota 20 gets the 50 dollar rebate as well... that would bring it down to 199... do you think its better for me to get the Dakota 20(with maps) for $200 instead of the Oregon 450 which is going to cost me about $300.... is the oregon worth $100 bucks more?

The Dakota is $250 AFTER rebate, $300 before.

ahh.. well if gpscity has the oregon 450 for 340 - 50 rebate so ttoal is 290, for 40 bucks difference i think the oregon is the winner hands down...

i really would like to buy from rei, but when its suck a big price difference, i really cant now..

Yes it is worth it for the larger screen size

Got my 450 on Amazon

Love it

Was thinking about the Dakota but wanted the newer screen and larger size and also wanted the Wherigo with the 3-axis compass

DK20 was smaller and no Wherigo so... got the 450

Edited by salsaguy