Can I ask

I have a cache which was not able to be found by a cacher who would be quite capable of finding the cache, then someone logs a find, but on looking for it myself it is AWOL. Since replaced it, but cannot understand the found log when the cache was not there......any suggestions???

I had this the other day, when i could not find my own cache!

then the next day someone found it, so of i went and of course there it was only not where it was supposed to be.

It had been moved, only a few feet but this was enough for me not to be able to locate it.

In fact i have had another move about 6mtrs from where it started off, this was moved back to its original position and then a week later it was moved again.

So it may be worth another look but not necessarily where you left it. :grin:

I have a cache which was not able to be found by a cacher who would be quite capable of finding the cache, then someone logs a find, but on looking for it myself it is AWOL. Since replaced it, but cannot understand the found log when the cache was not there......any suggestions???

I've had this happen a few times on some of my own.

Ask them - very politely - where exactly they found the cache, as you are having trouble finding it yourself.

Sometimes you'll be surprised and find the cache has been moved, and genuinely found.

Sometimes they won't bother replying.

And sometimes you'll find their found log mysteriously vanishes from your cache :grin:

Maybe it's moved a bit since you hid it and the finder had a lucky break. You could try Emailing the finder to ask them where it was when they found it as it's had some issues recently. If you suspect the finder is logging bogus finds then you could try entrapment by asking "is it still safely hidden under the big purple mushroom" and if they say Yes you know they're making it up.

There have been occasions in the past where a cache had seemingly gone missing, and was replaced. Subsequent online logs didn't then match up with the logbook in the new cache and it transpired that the original was still there (but not in the original location) and cachers were finding either the new one or the old one depending on which one they stumbled upon first.

Edited by MartyBartfast

i have a cache, its in a hedgrow located directly opposit the phonebox.

the clue is to walk directly across from the phonebox and its at chest height, it slowly moves further along the hedge, until someone logs the DNF, when i go to check its almost 10 - 15 foot further down the hedge and varies in height from ground right up to head height.

its just one of thoses things, even if you think its in the same spot, even if only 2 inches out, after 10 visits almost 2 foot from where it should be :laughing:

That's happened to me, and I politely emailed the finder to ask exactly where they've found it. One cacher confessed to moving the cache to the location THEY thought it should be.

Once my cache went missing, so I replaced it, only to find out later that the original was put in a completely different spot, so cachers were finding two different containers. The container was moved to a place that wasn't even close to resembling the original hiding spot! I guess they felt their idea was better.