Mapsource unlock codes

Hi - Can someone please explain how the unlock codes work with Mapsource Topo Software.

Currently I have a version of the software that was bought probably 7 yrs ago. Through updates I have been able to keep it up to date and I currently use it on two Map 76CS units.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Map 78 units and question if I can still use two units in the one software I have.

My guess is the unlock codes would come into play if I bought new software but want to be sure. With the unlock codes how does it work if you own two GPS units?

Hi - Can someone please explain how the unlock codes work with Mapsource Topo Software.

Currently I have a version of the software that was bought probably 7 yrs ago. Through updates I have been able to keep it up to date and I currently use it on two Map 76CS units.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Map 78 units and question if I can still use two units in the one software I have.

My guess is the unlock codes would come into play if I bought new software but want to be sure. With the unlock codes how does it work if you own two GPS units?

It would help to know exactly which Garmin Topo Software you are referring to but if you are referring to U.S. Topo, v3.02 with the 3 Cds then there aren't any unlock codes for the maps. You can load it to any/all of your Garmin units capable of loading maps to.

It would help to know exactly which Garmin Topo Software you are referring to but if you are referring to U.S. Topo, v3.02 with the 3 Cds then there aren't any unlock codes for the maps. You can load it to any/all of your Garmin units capable of loading maps to.

Yes it's the 3 disk V3.02 but through the upgrades on the web it's currently 6.16.1.

Where/when do the unlock codes come into play? How do they work with multiple GPS units. Recently started alot of biking and was thinking of picking up software more geared towards streets.

6.16.1 is the version of Mapsource, nothing to do with the map version or type of Map.

The unlock codes come into play with Garmin's routeable street maps (City Navigator) and some marine maps (Blue Charts). On Garmin's website when looking at their maps it will say if it is locked, if it is then those locked maps can be installed on 1 and only 1 GPS. Even if you later get a different GPS the maps are forever tied to the GPS that they were "unlocked" to. Their are some exceptions to this where Garmin is involved, such as repairs.

6.16.1 is the version of Mapsource, nothing to do with the map version or type of Map.

The unlock codes come into play with Garmin's routeable street maps (City Navigator) and some marine maps (Blue Charts). On Garmin's website when looking at their maps it will say if it is locked, if it is then those locked maps can be installed on 1 and only 1 GPS. Even if you later get a different GPS the maps are forever tied to the GPS that they were "unlocked" to. Their are some exceptions to this where Garmin is involved, such as repairs.

Foolish question then. What happens if you own two GPS units? You need to buy two copies of the software? What happens if you own a GPS unit and it gets lost or you upgrade to a newer unit? You then need to rebuy the software?

I know where I work we are going to keyed software where there is an activation key to install the software. Once the software is activated you can't install it on another PC without having the key reset however this is done to stop people from buying one copy of the software and then installing it on many pc's like we have seen in the past.

Doesn't make sense from what I am reading with the GPS units.

Foolish question then. What happens if you own two GPS units? You need to buy two copies of the software?

Yes...City Navigator maps can only be installed on a single GPS, so if you own two GPS units and want City Navigator on both of them you need two unlock codes.

What happens if you own a GPS unit and it gets lost or you upgrade to a newer unit? You then need to rebuy the software?

Lost your GPS, or Upgrade to a new model...you need to re-purchase the software for the new unit. Chances are the maps will hopefully be a few years old when this happens and you'll be ready for an upgrade anyway.

In the case of a failed unit, if the replacement is arranged through Garmin they will transfer the maps to the new unit (I know this first-hand when they replaced my Colorado 400t last year).

I believe these limitations are placed on Garmin by their agreement with Navteq (the source for their City Navigator map products).

You can get FREE maps for your GPS on the internet...some of them are pretty good, some are a little buggy. I'm using some 24k Topo maps from GPSFileDepot.com and have been very happy with them.

Foolish question then.

No

What happens if you own two GPS units? You need to buy two copies of the software?

Correct.

What happens if you own a GPS unit and it gets lost or you upgrade to a newer unit? You then need to rebuy the software?

Correct.

Doesn't make sense from what I am reading with the GPS units.
From NavTech's, the supplier of the data, point of view it does.

However, both they and Garmin lost a sale of CN as my GPSr was over 2 years old and I could not see spending the money to have it locked to that unit.

Thanks for the education on how the unlock codes work. Interesting marketing plan.

I would probably never buy 2 unlock codes. The only reason I have 2 GPS (both the same model) is when we were boating one was on the dash and the other was in the ditch bag.

It's nice to have 2 units when geocaching so the wife can use her own and then when she asks how do I do this you can say oh click here, here, and here.

We are just starting to get back into caching after a few year break and my how some things have changed.

I have 3 garmins that utilize the Topo 2008 software because there isn't an unlock code for it. Only one of my units have the Navigator maps because of the lock code.

As Fegan stated, they will give you new codes for units that they have replaced. I did it twice with my CSX when it was replaced due to warranty issues.

It is almost cheaper to purchase a low end Nuvi for street routing and use the free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com for the hand held units. The maps are compatible and can be installed from mapsource.

Good luck.