Caching in other parts of the world...

I have a question about geocaching abroad. I'm heading to Ireland in a bit over a month and have been planning some caching. It kind of struck me that I had read something about this so I wanted to see a bit in advance, in case I needed to so something.

I have a Garmin 60CSX. I'm wondering when I head from the US to Ireland if there's anything I need to do for the GPS, other than let it grab the satellites when I'm on the other side of the pond. Will it all be good, or do I need to do anything with settings etc.? I thought I had read something about something people did, but I could be wrong.

Anyone know?

GPS (Global Positioning System aka NAVSTAR GPS) is an US company and so only the US is served (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System).

In Europe you need a GALILEO (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_%28Sa...nnavigation%29) and in the russia area a GLONASS receiver (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS)

:huh:

Well... no! :huh: I'm kidding :grin:

As far as I know Ireland has the same measuring system as the US

1 (englische) Meile = 1.609,344 m

1 Fuß (feet) = 12 Zoll = 0,3048 m

and so no changes should be needed at you GPSr.

Have a save trip and happy caching!

Martin

I have a question about geocaching abroad. I'm heading to Ireland in a bit over a month and have been planning some caching. It kind of struck me that I had read something about this so I wanted to see a bit in advance, in case I needed to so something.

I have a Garmin 60CSX. I'm wondering when I head from the US to Ireland if there's anything I need to do for the GPS, other than let it grab the satellites when I'm on the other side of the pond. Will it all be good, or do I need to do anything with settings etc.? I thought I had read something about something people did, but I could be wrong.

Anyone know?

Hi softball, I bought my 60CSx secondhand in Canada and brought it back to the UK and it works fine - I even took it to Czech Republic and loaded it with OSM maps.

Just remember to stand really still for a really long time when you get off the plane! :grin:

Anyone know?

Just remember to stand really still for a really long time when you get off the plane! :grin:

Or sit down and have a cold pint of Guinness :huh::huh::(

The only thing you may need is to download a map of Ireland to the unit prior to your departure. You can purchase through Garmin or there are free open source maps available on the net.

And, yes, you will have to let the GPSr sit for a while to acquire satellites, good time for a wee nip.

And, yes, you will have to let the GPSr sit for a while to acquire satellites, good time for a wee nip.

If you're sitting near a window on the flight over, and get the OK from the flight crew, you can power up your receiver on the flight over, which would eliminate the long aquisition time at your destination.

[edit = typos]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

If you're sitting near a window on the flight over, and get the OK from the flight crew, you can power up your receiver on the flight over, which would eliminate the long aquisition time at your destination.

[edit = typos]

Of course, don't expect the captain the land the plane if you see a quick cache n' dash on some island in the middle of the atlantic on the way over!

GPS (Global Positioning System aka NAVSTAR GPS) is an US company and so only the US is served (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System).

In Europe you need a GALILEO (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_%28Sa...nnavigation%29) and in the russia area a GLONASS receiver (see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS)

:huh:

Well... no! :huh: I'm kidding :grin:

As far as I know Ireland has the same measuring system as the US

1 (englische) Meile = 1.609,344 m

1 Fuß (feet) = 12 Zoll = 0,3048 m

and so no changes should be needed at you GPSr.

Have a save trip and happy caching!

Martin

I knew there was something.... thanks for the clarification!

The only thing you may need is to download a map of Ireland to the unit prior to your departure. You can purchase through Garmin or there are free open source maps available on the net.

I don't use actual maps in the 60CSx. I follow the arrow. :huh: I probably should, however, use the maps. It might make things easier, eh? :grin:

[edit = typos]

Interesting thought. I might have to look into that. :huh:

I also don't think I'll be finding caches the first day there, so I could always prop it in the window of the hotel room, but that's in the city, too. So I'll have to figure one way or another. :grin:

[edit = typos]

Of course, don't expect the captain the land the plane if you see a quick cache n' dash on some island in the middle of the atlantic on the way over!

Even for an ammo can??? :grin:

I am from Australia, but am currently in New Zealand. That's a bit closer than the distance between US and Ireland (the "ditch" being smaller than the "pond") but I'm in a similar situation as you - NZ uses the same distances to measure as we do back home, and I'm using a Garmin 60CSx.

However I didn't need to buy any more maps - lucky for me, Garmin bundles New Zealand with Australia. (Woohoo! Bonus country! )

When I hopped off the plane in Auckland and switched on my GPS, it took a bit of time to find satellites, but no slower than at home when I travel 500 km upstate.

I am confident you will have no problems at all.

Are you taking a notebook computer? (In Ireland it's called a "laptop" BTW.)

I find mine invaluable because internet cafes (although cheap) are not everywhere you'd like them to be, and very few allow USB access to download pocket queries and such.

I was just in Ireland, Scotland, and England. I found 4 while in England with my Garmin 76Cx, it worked just fine in all three countries. I didn't change anything. You really don't need the maps, just use the pointer.

Edited by kwhart

I was just in Ireland, Scotland, and England. I found 4 while in England with my Garmin 76Cx, it worked just fine in all three countries. I didn't change anything. You really don't need the maps, just use the pointer.

Both countries. You visited two countries, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. :)

Edited by FancoverFive

Both countries. You visited two countries, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. :laughing:

I'm sure someone else will say this, but Scotland and England are indeed separate countries. They each have their own parliament, currency, national anthem (de facto for scotland), education system, healthcare, and public holidays.

Never EVER call a Scotsman "English". It's like calling a Canadian "American".

I have lived in both England and Scotland. And in Wales, BTW, but never even been to Ireland (either the Republic of or Northern)

Anyone know?

You might want to load up some maps, but the GPSr will work no problem. I've used oa 60CSx in Belgium/France without a hitch. The "global" part of GPS is not just a marketing ploy :laughing:

The only GPS issue I had in Europe/Ireland was the GPS on my blackberry not working. I believe it has something to do with how it uses cell towers to provide hints to the GPS, which it doesn't get over there, so it never locks onto the satellites (i.e. bad engineering on RIMs part) It doesn't sound like you have this problem tho :D

[edit = typos]

If it were me, I wouldn't ask permission. Just turn the thing on. If the flight crew doesn't want you to use it, they'll ask you to turn it off.

I went the other way - my GPS was purchased in the UK and the only maps I had were UK maps, but I cached in Canada quite happily.

It did take a long time to acquire the satellites at first (almost an hour if I remember correctly), but after that I was up and running.

I just used the compass screen for caching. The only one where I ran into a problem through lack of maps was where the cache was very close, but on the wrong side of a whopping great big river, which I didn't realise until I got to the riverbank :laughing:

I also found it handy having the GPS with me for things like finding my way back to the hotel, which I marked as a waypoint, etc.

[edit = typos]

If it were me, I wouldn't ask permission. Just turn the thing on. If the flight crew doesn't want you to use it, they'll ask you to turn it off.

Here's a quote from the website of the airline I'm using for my next flight:

Devices that cannot be used onboard include:

* Radios - AM, FM, VHF, battery or cord operated TV sets, TV cameras

* Electronic games or toys with remote control, except those installed on the aircraft

* Cordless computer mouse

* Portable Global Positioning System (GPS.)

I don't know if this is unique to this airline, but I think it's a safe bet that they are going to ask you to turn it off.

Both countries. You visited two countries, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. :laughing:

I'm sure someone else will say this, but Scotland and England are indeed separate countries. They each have their own parliament, currency, national anthem (de facto for scotland), education system, healthcare, and public holidays.

So does each of the US's fifty states, but I wouldn't say the US is made up of 50 countries.

[edit = typos]

Here's a quote from the website of the airline I'm using for my next flight:

Devices that cannot be used onboard include:

* Radios - AM, FM, VHF, battery or cord operated TV sets, TV cameras

* Electronic games or toys with remote control, except those installed on the aircraft

* Cordless computer mouse

* Portable Global Positioning System (GPS.)

I don't know if this is unique to this airline, but I think it's a safe bet that they are going to ask you to turn it off.

It's not unique. I've taken three trips in the last month and a half or so to Africa, Europe, and Indiana and GPS devices were mentioned on just about every flight I was on. Those policies are fairly new however. A couple of years ago GPS devices were never mentioned and I used mine when I was sitting next to a window.

I don't really understand why GPS receivers are not allowed. Since they don't transmit they can't interfere with any electronic equipment in the cabin and it makes me a bit uneasy that any electronic equipment used by the pilots might not be shielded well enough such that an electronic toy could have an impact.

I suppose that someone with a GPS receive *and* some form of transmitter could transmit the coordinates of a plane in flight that could be used for nefarious purposes and that may be the reason for not allowing a GPS.

Both countries. You visited two countries, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. :rolleyes:

So does each of the US's fifty states, but I wouldn't say the US is made up of 50 countries.

USA's states have their own currency and national anthem? I doubt that.

They have their own separate parliaments? With no over-riding governing body? I doubt that too. What's the Capitol for then?

I believe you are confused.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but regarding the country/countries of the UK - you are both right; it depends on what you mean by a country.

If you mean a sovereign state recognized by the United Nations; the UK is a single country, the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

However - to many Brits, England, Scotland, and Wales are countries in themselves. Scotland has its own Parliament and banknotes, Wales has its own language and National Assembly. Each has it's own "national" football (soccer) team.

The "best answer" at This Link, while just one person's summary, I believe describes the situation quite well.

The UK, with it's unwritten constitution, has lots of anomalies. The head of state is the Queen of England (which some of my Scottish friends resent!).

I know this is somewhat off topic, but regarding the country/countries of the UK - you are both right; it depends on what you mean by a country.

If you mean a sovereign state recognized by the United Nations; the UK is a single country, the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

However - to many Brits, England, Scotland, and Wales are countries in themselves. Scotland has its own Parliament and banknotes, Wales has its own language and National Assembly. Each has it's own "national" football (soccer) team.

The "best answer" at This Link, while just one person's summary, I believe describes the situation quite well.

The UK, with it's unwritten constitution, has lots of anomalies. The head of state is the Queen of England (which some of my Scottish friends resent!).

Risking the wrath of the Moderatrix to continue this OT jaunt but isn't this the same for Canada and similar colonies? I believe the head of state for Canada is also our HRM.... So I guess Canada is no longer a country either!

Dear Canada - Kneel before your colonial masters! :rolleyes: