paperless geocaching isn't TRUELY paperless for basic members

teamcathell

I understand where the OP is coming from. My wife and I just got into geocaching recently. We had been using her Droid phone and I decided that an actual gps would make a great mother's day present.

I'm not one to just buy without doing some research. I read through the reviews and the 'how to buy a gps' page here. I read through the Garmin product pages after a friend mentioned how much he liked his Dakota 20. The product reviews talked about paperless geocaching, taking it for granted that a PM is necessary for the functionality.

I also felt a little duped when we discovered that the functionality of paperless geocaching on the Dakota was limited by a basic membership. We upgraded to the PM after discovering that basic wouldn't cut it.

Would I have bought the PM had I known before hand? Most likely. The point is I felt as if I was led to believe one thing and got something else.

Edited by calvman

I also felt a little duped when we discovered that the functionality of paperless geocaching on the Dakota was limited by a basic membership. We upgraded to the PM after discovering that basic wouldn't cut it.

Would I have bought the PM had I known before hand? Most likely. The point is I felt as if I was led to believe one thing and got something else.

Sounds to me that the complaint should be over on Garmin's forum and not here. I am quite sure that Groundspeak has no control over Garmin's advertising.

Sounds to me that the complaint should be over on Garmin's forum and not here. I am quite sure that Groundspeak has no control over Garmin's advertising.

+2

The point is I felt as if I was led to believe one thing and got something else.
You got exactly what was advertised. A device that supports paperless caching.

That you don't have the means to get GPX files from geocaching.com doesn't change that. You can create GPX files yourself (or use additional software like GSAK to help with that) and put those on your device and go paperless caching.

There are even a few other cache hosting sites out there which you can use to go paperless caching. But these sites are relatively small and don't have that many caches.

But still, you can go paperless without being a premium member. So you got exactly what was advertised.

I myself use the PM features quite extensivly, so don't have a problem paying for them. I actually became a Premium Member before finding my first cache. I figured that 30 dollar was a low expense while I got to check out if the geocaching hobby was something for me (and using all PM benefits during that time).