Benchmarks as Souveniers

MaxEntropy

Calm down, it's not what you think.

I was in the Ahwanee Hotel in Yosemite this weekend and I saw in the bottle shop that they were selling souvenier reproductions of the USGS benchmark on El Capitan and the NPS benchmark on top of Half Dome.

It's a pretty cool way to commemorate the accomplishment of being on top of those landmarks.

It's been a long time since I've been on top of El Capitan and I haven't yet climbed Half Dome so I didn't pick them up.

My eagle-eyed kids also spotted benchmarks at the Vernal Falls bridge and on Clark Point.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

I was in the Ahwanee Hotel in Yosemite this weekend and I saw in the bottle shop that they were selling souvenier reproductions of the USGS benchmark on El Capitan and the NPS benchmark on top of Half Dome.

It's a pretty cool way to commemorate the accomplishment of being on top of those landmarks.

It's been a long time since I've been on top of El Capitan and I haven't yet climbed Half Dome so I didn't pick them up.

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Did they have any of those Yosimite Sam mud flaps that say, "Back Off!"? I haven't climbed Half Dome either, but I've made the trek to Klingman's Dome summit. They didn't even have

any Smokey Bear tee-shirts there. icon_confused.gif