Cache maint practices?

A previous thread has peaked my curiosity.

If you are out caching and notice a cache that needs some tlc (ie a new lid for the container, or a new log book)

do you simply do the fix without contacting the owner?

I'm getting the feeling that lots take it upon themselves to look after other's caches, without so much as a note posted on the cache page. Am I wrong?

Personally, if one of my caches (I have a couple waiting to be published) needed some help, I would very much expect to do it myself. However if another cacher really really wanted to bring out a new ziplock bag or the like, I would prefer that they email me to tell me about it first.

Thoughts?

I fix most problems I find.

If I replace the log I email the CO and ask if they want the old log scanned or snail-mailed to them. None have so far.

I don't replace the container unless I have the unusable old one in hand or talk to the CO and am convinced that the cache is gone, but as far as maintenance why not, I'm there, it makes no sense to make the CO come fix what I can do in a few minutes.

Maintaining found caches is so ingrained in our caching community that it's both uncommon and a bit frustrating to get a wet log notice... our first thought is "Why didn't you just replace it?"

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

If I replace the log I email the CO and ask if they want the old log scanned or snail-mailed to them. None have so far.

I wish more people were like this. I've had my logs replaced by cachers a few times, and I don't think they've ever offered to give it back to me. I'm sentimental, I want to keep those things. It's nice for someone to help out, but I didn't ask for it, and so I certainly get a bit upset when they just keep it to themselves (I assume they just throw it away). It is akin to stealing, in my opinion. :):)

For me it depends on the severity of the maintenance needed. I carry a couple of extra pens, paper, and baggies in my geo bag just for replacing these items if need be. I will also rearrange the hiding spot if the container has become exposed (but never move the location). if it needs more extensive maintenance like replacing the container I leave a "need maintenance" note on the listing page. Never have contacted a owner directly though.

If I have paper or ziplock on me I will replace if it needs, and will cotnact CO, everytime I was told to dispose of the log. I haven't had occasion to take a log in a while, just added post its as temp log books. But honestly, I don't want to hold on to a moldy log for any length of time, I think its just gross, so as I see from this thread that people generally, actually wanting to keep them I will, hence forth just add paper to it and let the CO maintain the rest

I'll clean out moist caches but will usually note that it was wet and some further maintenance is probably in order. I haven't come across a completely unusable log book yet but if those are wet I'll also note that those need some love as well.

I was annoyed when I went out to a cache this weekend that appears to have been abandoned and found two different log books. I was standing in a swamp with biting bugs flying everywhere that you don't them to be and trying to determine which was the real log book and which wasn't etc. Plus it was getting full of some not so hot stuff (open bandages etc.). I cleaned out what I could after that but got out of there quickly.

I carry a few mini zlock bags, a couple pre rolled nano logs and will swap out a log only if there's no room to add. Always offer to return the log to the CO in my log, never gotten a reply yet. I also arry a clean rag and will dry outr the contents of a wet cache.

Edited by ras_oscar
I wish more people were like this. I've had my logs replaced by cachers a few times, and I don't think they've ever offered to give it back to me. I'm sentimental, I want to keep those things. It's nice for someone to help out, but I didn't ask for it, and so I certainly get a bit upset when they just keep it to themselves (I assume they just throw it away). It is akin to stealing, in my opinion. :):)

That's why I don't remove old logs - which is unfortunate because that means I don't replace logs in containers that cannot hold an extra scrap of paper. The only time I removed a log was when some misguided soul tore the logsheet into tiny shreds. I placed them in a plastic baggie and asked the owner if he wanted it back, but he declined :huh:

As with TAR, if it is something simple I can fix on the spot, I'd just do it and let the owner know later. If he / she doesn't like it, they can always go back and fix it themselves, but in the meantime, it keeps the cache safe / dry/ etc.

If we find a cache that requires minor maintenance and we have the resources to provide that maintenance, we will do so. In our three years of caching we've never encountered a cache that needed any sort of maintenance that we could provide, but if we ever encounter one, we will fix it up if we can. If you don't want someone finding your cache to provide this sort of maintenance, you can note that in the cache description.

It's not that I wouldn't mind someone putting in a new bag, or that sort of thing.

I was more refering to the thread about the "throw downs" in wich a cacher believs they are replacing a missing cache.

If one of my caches was suspected to go missing, I would rather varify that myself than have someone else replace the whole thing.

I will replace wet logs and baggies if I have them, but I usually mention to the Cache owner that they can have their old log if they want, or I leave the old log in the cache as well, in a baggie so that it doesn't soil anything else if it's really gross. I draw the line at containers usually, out of all the caches I've found I think I've replaced two containers, only because I knew the cache owner hadn't been on in years and would never replace the container. Other than that, I post a Needs Maintenance log.

Living in Astoria, Oregon (which has to be the rainest place on earth) I get wet log notices ALL the time during the winter - even if they have ziploc bags. I then do the usual - run around town with a handful of paper strips in bags and replace them. Its the circle of ...geocaching?

Living in Astoria, Oregon (which has to be the rainest place on earth) I get wet log notices ALL the time during the winter - even if they have ziploc bags. I then do the usual - run around town with a handful of paper strips in bags and replace them. Its the circle of ...geocaching?

Oh wow. I imagine you would have quite a job keeping logs dry in Astoria. We've only found a couple of caches in Astoria, and they were dry actually! (From what i remember)

I just recently replaced an entire cache. The last few entries said it was filled water and the log book was complete mush. I e-mail the CO and got no reply. Also there was no activity on their account since last Sept.

Since I was going to go find that cache anyway (it's been on my list for awhile), and I had an extra lock-n-lock and log book, I just decided to replace it. We are coming into the busy season of caching and I want people to have good memories of caching, not another gross, wet, moldy, cache.

Anyway, when we got there we found the cache...it was indeed disgusting, a plastic gallon jug inside of a plastic shopping bag, completely soaked. We replaced it with the new one. When I logged it, I said the CO could contact me if they had any questions. I am drying out the log book but it was so soaked that it has become a solid little mass, I don't think it can be opened.

I don't know if I did the right thing, but tried to use my best judgment and I hope the CO will be happy if they check on it, not annoyed with me for "helping". :grin:

I just recently replaced an entire cache. The last few entries said it was filled water and the log book was complete mush. I e-mail the CO and got no reply. Also there was no activity on their account since last Sept.

Since I was going to go find that cache anyway (it's been on my list for awhile), and I had an extra lock-n-lock and log book, I just decided to replace it. We are coming into the busy season of caching and I want people to have good memories of caching, not another gross, wet, moldy, cache.

Anyway, when we got there we found the cache...it was indeed disgusting, a plastic gallon jug inside of a plastic shopping bag, completely soaked. We replaced it with the new one. When I logged it, I said the CO could contact me if they had any questions. I am drying out the log book but it was so soaked that it has become a solid little mass, I don't think it can be opened.

I don't know if I did the right thing, but tried to use my best judgment and I hope the CO will be happy if they check on it, not annoyed with me for "helping". :grin:

Seems like you did exactly the right thing. I doubt there are any good hard and fast guidelines for what maintenance to do, just some common sense guidelines and a reminder to always tell people what you're doing.

Edited by drewmm

I don't see a problem with that. The cache didn't go missing, it was just narsty, and you made and effort to contact the owner first.

I am just concerned about my hides being somehow altered or messed up by well intentioned cachers, but it seems I'm just taking a previous thread way to seriously.