Park Closings

Packanack

http://www.ny.gov/governor/press/press_02191001.html

There was an announcement 2 hours ago and it looks like the list is official.

I suspect that this topic will be re visited in NJ in the near future.

It's an absurd list. Some of the parks that are closed have no staff and no facilities. How does closing them save money?

They have some staff. The claim is that they will save on maintenance. Nothing will get fixed. No lawns will be mowed. Junk like that. It will probably cost double next year to repair those parks from neglect. Two local governments near me offered to take care of the State Park in their town and were turned down by Albany. The whole thing is crock and a farce.

http://www.ny.gov/governor/press/press_02191001.html

There was an announcement 2 hours ago and it looks like the list is official.

I suspect that this topic will be re visited in NJ in the near future.

It's an absurd list. Some of the parks that are closed have no staff and no facilities. How does closing them save money?

They have some staff. The claim is that they will save on maintenance. Nothing will get fixed. No lawns will be mowed. Junk like that. It will probably cost double next year to repair those parks from neglect. Two local governments near me offered to take care of the State Park in their town and were turned down by Albany. The whole thing is crock and a farce.

Wonder Lake State Park has no facilities and no dedicated staff. It's nothing but unimproved woods. No bathrooms, no roads, no grass to mow, no buildings to maintain. I'm sure there are more like it on the list.

It saves no money to close places like that.

I use Bethpage State Park for "winter sports"

They don't do anything now. The parking lots are already cleaned, there is a year round indoor tennis court and the golf clubhouse/restaurant that share the lots. They plow the sidewalks, we'd rather they left snow on them for CC skiing. If there is snow, you can ski. They don't groom it or anything. Same with sledding.

it;s politicians crying poor and threatening punishing the taxpayers for not wanting higher taxes elsewhere. Tim Kane did that by closing rest stops along the interstates here in VA when he was Governor. Supposedly to save $9 million dollars. One of the 1st things the new Governor did when he got into office was reopen them. He didn't want to send signals that the state was closed for business to potential visitors. Of course then somebody got the notion in the state congress to close some State Parks. That didn't fly very well with the general public and that got nixed real quick too.

Edited by KJcachers

Sure the parks are open, but at what cost? This is just another political shell game. The money to keep the parks open is coming from the Enviornmental Protection Fund. This is supposedly a "dedicated" fund (just like the lottery) to be paid for by a tax on real estate sales. Not only have the politicans stolen from this fund to keep the parks open, they've taken another 88 million dollars from the fund and added it to the General Fund. Why have a dedicated fund at all if its not going where its supposed to go? I call Shenanigans.