Keeping ticks off - what do you do?

I am brand new at this wonderful hobby, but am worried about ticks, as I got lymes disease two summers ago. What repellents/methods do you use to keep ticks off of you? Thanks in advance!

If I know I'm going to be in a tick-infested area, I wear long pants and apply a lot of insect repellent...even on the skin under the pants. Any repellent with DEET is good. Also, need to ensure you frequently inspect your legs throughout the day, especially if you're out for awhile.

Good luck!

In my case, I apply Deep Woods Off! liberally before I hit the woods, and end with a shower/tick check. It's mostly for skeeters, but stymies the ticks as well.

Some people recommend wearing long pants and long-sleeve shirts with tight cuffs. Personally, I won't do that unless it's cool out. I haven't found enough ticks to justify the lack of comfort.

after coming home with loads of ticks 2 weekends ago (we had no repellent on ), read on a Google search that deet works for ticks too, so sprayed our selves AND our clothes and shoes with Cutters Skinsation. Didn't bring any home this weekend. We also use Skin-so-soft and just straight citronella oil sometimes and these too ward off ticks.

There is a citronella bar soap you could shower with before you head out (I think we will pick one of these up next time we are at a natural food store) , But I would still put something on your clothes and shoes because if you bring them home they could still get you later, the live 3 months or more.

Happy Caching! :)

Certainly, ticks are of a concern, but if you worry too much about them you are only spoiling your fun.

Most repellents usually suffice, some better than others. 100% DEET is one of the better. Probably best in sporting goods stores, but I would avoid getting it at Wally-World and the like, unless it is noted to be !00% -- I guess it comes down to "Read the Label". :)

Another tip: Avoid long grass, tall weedy areas and bushes. THOSE are the places where ticks transfer, not so much deep in the woods. They need the medium height in order to transfer to a host (you or a passing animal).

EDIT: Check out this parallel thread (notice, they are on weeds): http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=249801

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Try getting a product called permathrin. You spray it on you clothes and it will kill any tick that comes into contact. I used it last week in Kentucky and did not have a single tick. In the same area last year I removed 15 from my body and another 30 from my clothes. I believe the stuff is the surest method of detering ticks.

I use a permathrin based repellent on my clothing (Permanone, Duranon and Sawyer Clothing are 3 on the market) and a DEET based repellent on my skin. Light colored clothing also helps you spot them before they climb inside. And if you don't mind the high geek look factor, tuck your pants inside your socks.

Edited by briansnat

Generally I go out wearing smooth synthetic outer clothing - nylon long pants, nylon windbreaker - as they can't get a grip on that cloth. They love loose cotton, wool, ragged fibre stuff where they can gain purchase and crawl. If going out bare legged (on account of it being very hot/humid) try shaving legs. It's the hairs they attach to. They are more suited to catching the thick fur of animals, but human body hair works pretty well. I noticed a few just falling off my legs because they couldn't get a good enough grip on the sparse hair I have (lucky I don't have thick body hair.)

DEET does NOT stop ticks. It may slow them down a little so it's ok as a secondary defense on the skin. The best primary defense is a permethrin based treatment for the clothes. Check out this other recent thread on the subject.

Edited by Pax42

This may be TMI, so if you are looking for something to be offended about-try another thread.

I've gotten in the habit of keeping a small bottle of deep woods OFF or other high percentage DEET product in the bathroom to apply post morning shower and before getting dressed to go caching. It is easier to spray down some of the harder to reach spots that ticks like to nestle into and grab hold. I'll still add another dose at the tops of my sock line, around the top of my arm, and back of my neck before heading into the woods.

And the little buggers really are everywhere these days. I had a fairly woods free day planned for yesterday, so I didn't bother with this routine. Stopped off to get just one more that was 60' from the parking lot of an interstate side motel, and felt one crawling on my arm 3 miles later. Hopefully he's spat on someone's windshield now.

Was every living thing really created with a positive purpose in this world? :)

I Just hope people using permethrin read safety warnings regarding its use. Keep it way from water. If your clothes are sprayed down with it and you have to wade through water you can kill some of the small fish near wear you walked. It is very toxic to fish (and anything cold blooded).

I live in a low risk of lyme disease area, so I truly choose a tick bite or two over a potential carcinogen that could effect local wildlife. But If i go caching up in a high-risk area, I may choose to use it, but will be careful around water. Everything depends on the situation.

Citronella and Deet do not kill, they just repel, so if you are covered well enough you shouldn't get them on you.

just, please investigate any chemicals pro's and con's before jumping in an just using it. Even herbal pros and cons, for example pure citronella could be a problem for people prone to eczema.

Just my 2 cents...

We have lyme disease issues here. I had a client who died from it and after watching that process I do what I have to to prevent it. DEET only works as a repellent where it is located on you. Sometimes the little guys will suffer long enough to get to a DEET free area on your body.

Frequent tick checks as well is a thing to do when going into infested areas. I'm treating some clothes this weekend as we seem to be having a heavy/early tick season and then I'm using my bug spray in addition to that.

Frequent tick checks as well is a thing to do when going into infested areas. I'm treating some clothes this weekend as we seem to be having a heavy/early tick season and then I'm using my bug spray in addition to that.

The bolded bit is the most important. A tick has to be attached for at least a day to transmit Lyme disease*. Preventing them is great, but removing the ones that get past your defenses is essential. This time of year you have to especially watch out for the tiny nymph-stage ticks, they are hard to see. I never feel the itching until they've been attached for a while.

*Source: Steere AC (July 2001). "Lyme disease". N. Engl. J. Med. 345 (2): 115–25. as quoted in Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease#Transmission

I put it in the other thread but when I spent more time in the woods before I started caching this year if there was a clearing and we were taking a break we would move all movable clothing and do a tick check right there. We didn't wait for the end of the day or anything like that. The little guys were coming off with in hours (except in areas that were harder to reach). Now out caching if I get a good secluded parking lot tick checks are happening. Every available opportunity. But I'm not easily embarrassed either. I'm not dragging those little guys home if I can help it.