A marker in danger....

jscotti

There is a marker on the University of Arizona campus that I recovered last fall (http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=cz1836) which was recently covered by the local groundskeepers by some loose groundcover of dirt and rocks. I think the marker was not damaged and is probably under only an inch or two of groundcover, but I'm not sure what to do about it. There are plans for extensive landscaping changes in the general area, though I'm not sure if they involve the actual location of the marker. I hope I can make the appropriate person aware of the markers presence so it can be preserved. I considered digging it out, but the area is quite busy and I'd have to hunt for it since I don't recall it's exact location to better than maybe 5 feet.

Any ideas of how I can handle it? BTW, I also used the marker for a virtual geocache which I have temporarily disabled while the marker is unavailable.

Jim.

Contact the head groundskeeper and express your concerns. He is probably already aware of its existence, but he may or may not know what it is. Once informed, he will probably be willing to help protect it from accidental demolition if at all possible. Alternatively, you could go to the civil engineering department, they will certainly know what it is, but they may be powerless to protect it.

Some good ideas. There was a plastic sparky thingy a couple feet away from the marker last time I saw it that was covered by the groundcover too.... There were originally some reference markers near this one that have vanished over the years and I wonder if any of them are buried somewhere nearby.... icon_redface.gif

Some good ideas. There was a plastic sparky thingy a couple feet away from the marker last time I saw it that was covered by the groundcover too.... There were originally some reference markers near this one that have vanished over the years and I wonder if any of them are buried somewhere nearby.... icon_redface.gif