How do I plan a route?

cagmnt

My family is new to this and we are having trouble back tracking our routes. How do you plan where you are not turning circles and traveling miles over again? Any help would be appreciated. We have the Garmin e trex venture HC.

My family is new to this and we are having trouble back tracking our routes. How do you plan where you are not turning circles and traveling miles over again? Any help would be appreciated. We have the Garmin e trex venture HC.

Does anyone know how to help me on this? Everytime we go out and cache we end up backtracking to a location we were at earlier in the day. How do I plan them where we hit one after another without returning to previous locations?

Best I can suggest is to plot out the caches on Microsoft Streets and Trips (About $30 street price) - then pick each as a destination and ask the program to optimize your route.

It isn't perfect - but better than nothing.

What I tend to do is load up most of the caches in an area and then just start caching. My GPS unit has a function to show me the next closest cache that I haven't found. I make liberal use of that as well as maps and I jsut kind of waunder around having fun while caching. In other words - I rarely put much planning into a day of pure Geocaching. While traveling, I just randomly stop at caches along my route.