Lost and Found

avroair

To go along with Groundspeak's 10 Years Lost and Found, I thought it would be cool to open a thread which discusses stories of geocoins that were lost, thought lost, long since lost and then found.

I just had this experience when one of my Seven Summits coins (which was released 5 years ago, and got lost in 2007, but was just found and relogged this past weekend after 3 years of missing!

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...cb-3a4264986c9f

:)

WOW!!! great news!!! :) Was it found somewhere or the cacher who had it forgot to log it...?

I have a coin that was lost 2 times (one was stollen) but after some months it was back in the game!! the first time it was for 5 months, and the second for about 5 months!!! ??? I just saw that!! WOW!

I hope to see that in other coins! It is so sad to see them getting lost or stollen! But when, after some time and when you have them as lost for ever, you see them again out travelling, the feeling is amazing!!! :blink:

I have a very special and sentimental released coin that I placed into a cache in California back on 08/07/2008 and it went missing from that same cache within weeks. I went back to the cache and checked all the names of all the people who logged it since I placed the coin in the cache and contacted most of them via email asking if they may have seen it or perhaps even picked it up without logging it. Only one person remembered seeing the coin in the cache and no one who replied back would admit to picking up the coin. So I wrote it off as another coin gone missing...

Fast forward to 12/26/2009... The coin is back!!! Another geocacher found the coin in a cache in Nevada, and took it home to British Columbia where it has been safely placed into another cache to (hopefully) continue its journey...

Total missing time 1 year and almost 5 months... Sure was nice to see this coin back in circulation again!!!

I had my first geocoin activated ( TB2MQ9Z Osh'N Doc Family matters ) and released in November 2008. May first 2009 it appeared missing after it has been placed into a cache event. :)

The coin was supposetly been hand given to another geocacher but didn't seemed so. I wrote to the geocacher who dropped my coin to this event to see If he didn't have it somewhere in a bag and forgot to place it back, but no. I was really worried, being my first coin released and it's message of Family being sooooo important. I even wrote to Osh'n Doc to see If he hasn't had one left so I could replaced it. I decided to make a proxy of it to let it continue it's journey. :o

The person who dropped the coin contacted all the members of the event with no success. I thanked him and swallowed my loss. :huh:

July 2009, I got an email, a newby from the event found it laying around in his car, send it back to the previous holder and then I received it by mail.! :)

I am now waiting for it to be close enough from home so I can put the real coin back into a cache. :D

I have a coin which I sent to DresselDragons together with a geocoin mission. They released it near their home and the coin started its journey. After just a few caches it seemed that it was lost, but a few weeks later it showed up again. Just to get into the hands of a "cacher" who hadn't found a single cache :) He just retrieved my coin (without even logging the cache), wrote that his brother is a great geocacher and that the coin would travel again soon. But nothing happened :D After a loong time suddenly the coin showed up again. A cacher grabbed the coin from the "unknown cacher" and logged that he retrieved it from a strange cache. He did the FTF on it and it cointained nothing but my coin. No swag, no logbook, nothing :D The owner was the strange cacher who had my coin, and the cache was in Germany! So he kept my coin all the time, went to Germany (which was the mission of my coin), and hid this cache only to release my coin here! I guess he still hasn't found a single cache... but the coin made it home to me and now has a special place in my collection :D

It is one of the few coins which completed its mission, and the one with the strangest storie of all my travelling coins.

I'll add the good news that my "Sweet Dreams" Dreamcatcher geocoin has re-appeared in a very strange way! :laughing:

Back in August 08 it was dropped into "Proposal cache" in Pennsylvania but it soon became apparent that it had gone MIA and sadly I marked it as missing in April 09 (but not too sadly because it had done over 15,000 miles which I think is a pretty good distance for a geocoin in the wild).

Surprise, surprise! Last month it re-appeared... back here in the UK! Somehow it got back into a cache on the south coast of England where it was discovered by Scuzbot. At first I was a bit sceptical because several cachers just logged "discovered" and I wondered if something odd was going on... but now it has been retrieved so it's travelling once more...

MrsB :D