Hello, there.

kempkrew

So... i'm kempkrew. :) Well, that's a bit of a misnomer, actually --- kempkrew is a label, really, applied to a small group of 'cachers who are related through the institution of marriage. Kemp is the last name, and three of the five members of the "crew" share it. Majority rules, and all that.

Anyhoo, i'm new. We're new. Thought an introduction might be in order, but if this is in the wrong place i apologize. We've only just started geo-caching, and it's been entertaining and kind of revealing. We're spending a bit more time together as a family unit, which is nice, and the younger kids dig the whole 'treasure hunt' aspect of the deal --- that's to be expected, i suppose. The older sibling, on the other hand, can't openly admit she's having fun... being fourteen and having to spend time with your parents is so-o-o-o-o not cool. But she copes.

We started with a Windows-based phone with geo-caching application, used it for the first five hunts; but it can get pretty vague in dense tree cover and we left two caches in defeat. Recently purchased a Garmin Summit HC, and haven't been skunked yet --- although it's early. We expect disappointment at some point.

As kempkrew, we've only 'cached in northern MN, but we hope to try our hand during our annual family vacation. We're an outdoors-y group --- fishing, hunting, four-wheeling, camping --- so this just adds another facet to our activities. Good stuff, this geo-caching... uh, do we call it a sport?

So that's us in a nutshell. Don't know how active we'll be on the forums, but i thought 'what the heck?' Thanks for lettin' me bend your ear --- or eyeball, i guess. Happy 'caching!

Welcome Kemp&crew :o !

You can call it whatever, Sport, Recreation, Game -- just please don't call it a "treasure hunt". :blink:

That tends to lead some to disappointment.

We just plain call it fun, even though sometimes it is just outright "work"! Whatever the case, it does lead to quality family time, and it can be pretty obsessive. :) It made us late for a family appointment yesterday because we needed "just one more". :blink: Luckily, the rest of the extended family now realizes that we will usually be late, because of geocaching while en-route (we have converted others in the family, also).

As far as not finding some, don't think of it as a disappointment, think of it as a "learning experience". All cachers get a DNF now and again -- whether they admit it or not. :o

Go forth and have fun with the mosquitoes, creek crossings, bushwhacking, and the "finds". :o

What do you all hunt?

We hunt Minnesota whitetail --- but only every other season. i'm really not much for venison. The wife loves it. i prefer small game, ruffed grouse in particular. Nothing like fresh game bird! We have a huge blueberry patch on our property, too, and a fair-to-middlin' patch of raspberries, so we like to supplement our hunting with a bit o' gathering :) .

Hello, 'cherry. i do believe i've seen your name, too. i didn't know if i should log DNF, because we went back shortly thereafter --- with the GPS --- and found what we were looking for.

So, the question becomes... should we DNF anyway?

Greetings from the Colonial Cats and welcome to the ... (whatever this is). :) You should, in our opinion, always post your DNFs. Some folks believe that it is a sign of failure, however, it's really just a record of your experiences. We all have DNFs and sometimes it is out of our control. Bad weather, muggles, missing caches, etc., can conspire against us. Often, a good DNF log is more enteraining than a found log! If there are several DNFs in a row for a cache, it tells the cache owner that the cache sould be checked on. So welcome to geocaching and maybe we will see you on the trails.

Hello Back.

I am also pretty new to the activity of geocaching and we love it. Woody and Pip are the names of our guinea pigs because they seem to be good mascots for me and my kids. I love the outdoors and try to get the kids involved with it. I am a farmer and fishing opener usually falls in the planting season and hunting falls in the harvest season and there are years that I don't get the chance to take them as much as I would like.

What part of Northern Minnesota if you don't mind? We hunt deer and sometimes grouse near Blackduck (if time allows) and I used to live for a short time in Bemidji. We love Itasca State Park as well as the other state parks. Can't wait to get there to geocache, should be a whole different experience.

What part of Northern Minnesota if you don't mind?

We live on the 'Range. South of Eveleth, north of Duluth. Though we do visit Bemidji on occasion --- the wife's folks live over there. In fact, her aunt and uncle lived in Blackduck until fairly recently... Believe we'll try our hand at 'caching over there next time we go.