What does getting caches in a calendar year mean?

It's just a goal of getting at least one cache on every day of the calendar. If you haven't gotten one on Feb 11th 2009 or before and then you don't get one on Feb 11, 2010, then yes, you would have an open spot on the calendar and would have to wait until Feb 11th 2011 to try and fill that hole.

They are some 3rd party programs that will give you a picture of a calendar and what days you have covered to make it easier for you to know where you have gaps.

I don't know any off hand, but I'm someone probably has a challenge cache that requires filling the calendar in order to log a find on it.

GC254H4 is an example of this.

Isn't that frowned on due to the fact it's an ALR?

It's a challenge cache, not an ALR.

Which somehow makes it exempt from the ALR rules.

Yes. It's lame, I know.

There are a lot of goal obsessed people playing this game. It seems Groundspeak needed the "challenge" loophole to prevent a riot in the forum.

GC254H4 is an example of this.

Isn't that frowned on due to the fact it's an ALR?

It's a challenge cache, not an ALR.

Which somehow makes it exempt from the ALR rules.

Yes. It's lame, I know.

There are a lot of goal obsessed people playing this game. It seems Groundspeak needed the "challenge" loophole to prevent a riot in the forum.

holy quoting madness batman!

i don't mind challenge caches because i can simply ignore them. good for those people who do enjoy them though.

i don't mind challenge caches because i can simply ignore them. good for those people who do enjoy them though.

Not that I am advocating their return, but VIRTUAL and WEBCAM caches were "good for those people who do enjoy them."

I guess we finally found that elusive WOW factor.

Eventually some of these 'challenge' caches are gunna get abandoned and then phanton logged by everyone who visits them regardless of the requirements.......kinda like with Virtuals.