Yoy have got to se this

Isn't that just a normal Black Locust tree?

They evolved that way as protection from deer, high on Jimson weed, from bumping into them and knocking them down. :)

"Although similar in general appearance to Honey locust, it lacks that tree's characteristic long branched spines on the trunk, instead having the pairs of short thorns at the base of each leaf; the leaflets are also much broader."

"The Honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) is a deciduous tree native to eastern North America. It is mostly found in the moist soil of river valleys ranging from southeastern South Dakota to New Orleans and central Texas, and as far east as eastern Massachusetts."

"The fruit of the Honey locust is a flat legume (pod) that matures between September and October. The pods are generally between 15–20 cm. The pulp on the insides of the pods is edible, unlike the Black locust, which is toxic. The seeds are dispersed by grazing herbivores such as cattle and horses, which eat the pod pulp and excrete the seeds in droppings; the animal's digestive system assists in breaking down the hard seed coat, making germination easier.

Honey locusts commonly have thorns 3–10 cm long growing out of the branches; these may be single, or branched into several points, and commonly form dense clusters. The thorns are fairly soft and green when young, harden and turn red as they age, then fade to ash grey and turn brittle when mature. These thorns are thought to have evolved to protect the trees from browsing Pleistocene megafauna which may also have been involved in seed dispersal.[1] Thornless forms (G. t. inermis) are occasionally found growing wild."

Edited by Team Cotati

I once found a cache 10' up in this tree. You also Don't want to step on a fallen branch!

PICT0730.JPG

Hum, I'd imagine the FTF had a rough time, and then the cache was on the ground. :)

I can't imagine trying to get someone into that tree. It'd have to be easier to try to get it out of the tree entirely. :)

Nasty, nasty, evil trees they are.

I know of one locust tree actually puncturing a tractor tire.

I had no idea that barbed wire actually grew on trees!!

Like Douglas Adams said, "In an infinite Universe, there is very little need for industry, because everything you need probably grows somewhere." (ie - Screwdriver fruit, and matresses that live in swamps.) :):)

Snoogans beat me to it. Yes, the dried thorns will puncture almost any tire. They turn almost into iron after they or the branch falls and dries. Got a few of them bordering our yard. They also root-regenerate, so getting rid of them is a real bugger!

It does however, make for very aromatic firewood, :)

Lots of snap, crackle and pop, so do use a firescreen!