2010 Off Week, Off Trail, No-notice, HOM

Criminal

I've been building the hike list for this year. There are some brought up from last year, that I never got around to doing, and several epiphany mentions. The dates are all fluid, except for Tubal Cain which is rhododendron bloom dependent- so looking for late June or early July. We can do that one as a short day-hike or thru-hike up to Marmot Pass and out the Big Quilcene trail.

The Perseids Meteor Shower in August is supposed to be good schedule-wise this year too; only a crescent moon and the peak is close to the weekend. I'm open to suggestions for where, but I prefer the Olympics. How about somewhere on the beach?

I'm going to try to make two runs up to the Wonder Mountain Wilderness, early summer and fall. This is an off-trail hike that's tough, but not horrible, so don't be apprehensive about coming. I'm hoping to build a good track log for Moun10Bike's website.

As always, I'm open to suggestions, but other than Three Lakes (to check on a missing cache), I'm probably only going to plan hikes in the Olympics- Park, Forest, or Wilderness.

I went up to Jupiter yesterday. It took me five hours to get to the approach to the summit. I was an hour past my already adjusted turn-around time, and at ¼ miles from the summit (bee line) hit a pretty solid wall of DEEP snow. Looking at another hour or more just to fight my way from there I decided to turn around. You'll prolly need crampons and an ice axe if you want to see that summit. Round-trip from the trail head was 14¼ miles.

Edited by Criminal

Arghhhh. So many hikes, so little time. You know I want this one but I have already planned on going up Lookout Lookout with GrnXnham on that Saturday. If it happens to change to the next weekend, sign me up. Otherwise, have a great time!

Ditto. That's my weekend campout in North Cascades, where I plan to join GrnXnham for the Lookout hike.

I'll have the radio and will make a call from the summit on VHF Common (Wilderness). This is probably the final run for the reliable old IC-W32A dual band, as the new (+lighter +waterproof) VX-8DR quad-band should be here Wednesday. If I can get the new one figured out I'll bring it to O'Neil next weekend. K7XFE

I'll have the radio and will make a call from the summit on VHF Common (Wilderness). This is probably the final run for the reliable old IC-W32A dual band, as the new (+lighter +waterproof) VX-8DR quad-band should be here Wednesday. If I can get the new one figured out I'll bring it to O'Neil next weekend. K7XFE

Missed this post until just now. The trench length has an additional 6 feet added today.

I need to run up to Mt Townsend tomorrow to get something for next weekend. If anyone is interested in going, I'll wait for you in Silverdale.

Did you get it?

Nope. I spent an hour looking using some terrible directions but no luck. It wasn't hidden by any geocacher since the place they hid it was a high traffic area. I suspect it was discovered and removed.

EDIT to add: someone got up there just before me and found it.

It was a GREAT hike nonetheless. Three hours up and two down. Ran out of water at the summit. The last time I was here we never made it to both the south and north summits, this time I hiked the whole ridge. Flowers blooming everywhere and breathtaking views. Now I have sunburn on my sunburn...

I was able to make a couple contacts on the radio, but the big ridge to the south blocked my line of sight to Elma, so I wasn't able to raise Kevin. I was only able to hit the repeater on Capitol Peak from one spot on the summit, but anything east was easy.

Edited by Criminal

I need to run up to Mt Townsend tomorrow to get something for next weekend. If anyone is interested in going, I'll wait for you in Silverdale.

Did you get it?

Nope. I spent an hour looking using some terrible directions but no luck. It wasn't hidden by any geocacher since the place they hid it was a high traffic area. I suspect it was discovered and removed.

EDIT to add: someone got up there just before me and found it.

It was a GREAT hike nonetheless. Three hours up and two down. Ran out of water at the summit. The last time I was here we never made it to the summit proper, this time I hiked the whole ridge. Flowers blooming everywhere and breathtaking views. Now I have sunburn on my sunburn...

I was able to make a couple contacts on the radio, but the big ridge to the south blocked my line of sight to Elma, so I wasn't able to raise Kevin. I was only able to hit the repeater on Capitol Peak from one spot on the summit, but anything east was easy.

Looks like you missed it by a day :unsure:

Edited by LandRover

It looks like the weather should be good for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll leave from here in the morning. Expect the trailhead around 10 or 11 am.

ALSO: I'm hoping to go to the Wonder Mountain Wilderness the weekend after Labor Day in case anyone is into the whole planning thing. I'm expecting to stay three days to fish Lake 3995 and 3550, but it can be done as just an overnighter if you want. This is a tough off-trail hike but really no more difficult than Mt Aix. As always, Wonder makes for an unforgettable trip, so try to fit it in.

Edited by Criminal

It looks like the weather should be good for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll leave from here in the morning. Expect the trailhead around 10 or 11 am.

ALSO: I'm hoping to go to the Wonder Mountain Wilderness the weekend after Labor Day in case anyone is into the whole planning thing. I'm expecting to stay three days to fish Lake 3995 and 3550, but it can be done as just an overnighter if you want. This is a tough off-trail hike but really no more difficult than Mt Aix. As always, Wonder makes for an unforgettable trip, so try to fit it in.

Bummer. I'm still digging and the weekend after labor day is slated for Maupin, Oregon to support a bicycle rider doing a 24 hour ride for charity. After that, it's a cross peninsula hike with SquareBear. More details coming on that soon.

OK, so what's worse, paying $57 for a fishing license, or having had said fishing license for three months and not used it?

If anyone is up for a trip up the Tunnel Creek Trail to Harrison Lake tomorrow, let me know. I don't see any caches up there, but you can bag the one on Mt Walker on the way out (the road to the top is open).

EDIT to add: You might be able to hide one, but I don't know if interesting hike caches are allowed anymore.

Edited by Criminal

He's on his way down. They weren't biting what he had to offer.

No, and it's not a lake, it's somewhere between pond and puddle. Just little 2" fish. The Forest Service needs to take "fishing" off the list for this hike. Nevertheless, it's a great trail.

I had good radio reception down at the lake, surprising since it is well below the top of the ridge. I was also able to hit several repeaters from way down in the valley, by the Tunnel Creek Shelter.

EDIT: TR posted.

Edited by Criminal

Yeah, what he said.

Shameless bump to remind anyone interested that the 2010 Off-Trail HOTY will again be the Wonder Mountain Wilderness. Ironman will have to sit this one out, but I'm hoping to talk him into shuttling me up there and picking me up after. If I park my Jeep at his place he can use my mobile radio to try to make contact with me/us from the campsite. I still need to develop a radio plan and try to guesstimate the most likely repeaters.

This will likely be one of the most memorable hikes you’ll ever do. I’d like to hit the trail as early as possible and hike right on past Lake 3995 to set up at Lake 3550. That’s a long day though, so the alternate plan is to just drop tent at 3995 and dayhike to 3550 in the morning.

WonderSquare.png

Keep an eye on SteepandCheap.com as they’ve been posting some nice lightweight solo and double tents, perfect for this hike, lately.

If anyone wants to come but has questions, concerns, date preferences, etc; just post them here or drop me a line.

Edited by Criminal

Yeah, what he said.

Shameless bump to remind anyone interested that the 2010 Off-Trail HOTY will again be the Wonder Mountain Wilderness. Ironman will have to sit this one out, but I'm hoping to talk him into shuttling me up there and picking me up after. If I park my Jeep at his place he can use my mobile radio to try to make contact with me/us from the campsite. I still need to develop a radio plan and try to guesstimate the most likely repeaters.

This will likely be one of the most memorable hikes you’ll ever do. I’d like to hit the trail as early as possible and hike right on past Lake 3995 to set up at Lake 3550. That’s a long day though, so the alternate plan is to just drop tent at 3995 and dayhike to 3550 in the morning.

WonderSquare.png

Keep an eye on SteepandCheap.com as they’ve been posting some nice lightweight solo and double tents, perfect for this hike, lately.

If anyone wants to come but has questions, concerns, date preferences, etc; just post them here or drop me a line.

I wouldn't count me out yet!

I am up to 5 miles a day plus walking 11 floors of stairs without taking a break.

The clincher will be can I get my pack under 25# and can I stand the chest straps???

A nice warm up hike Labor Day weekend would be nice.

I wouldn't count me out yet!

I am up to 5 miles a day plus walking 11 floors of stairs without taking a break.

The clincher will be can I get my pack under 25# and can I stand the chest straps???

A nice warm up hike Labor Day weekend would be nice.

Kevin,

I have a little hike planned at MRNP Sept. 4th if you're interested drop me an e-mail and I'll send you the details

The weather for the weekend is changing for the better...at the moment. It could also change right back to rain again, so who knows. Anyway, a sunny weekend means two things, Ironman will be up on his roof, and the 2010 hike to the Wonder Mountain Wilderness might actually happen. The gates close in October so it's this weekend or it's off until 2011.

I'm looking at either Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday. Anyone wanting to can also overnight it, there's no requirement to stay three days. I really need to use that fishing license that cost me so much money…

Alciato and I tried to get to Dream Lake last Wednesday. We didn't make it do to some poor route finding and time problems.

We learned a LOT and are going to try again next year. Hopefully you will be available.

Well, sure, if I get over the hurt of not being invited this year. ;)

:D

Why wait until next year, are there wildlife gates involved there too?

Alciato and I tried to get to Dream Lake last Wednesday. We didn't make it do to some poor route finding and time problems.

We learned a LOT and are going to try again next year. Hopefully you will be available.

Well, sure, if I get over the hurt of not being invited this year. :)

:laughing:

Why wait until next year, are there wildlife gates involved there too?

Yea sorry about that, I didn't have your e-mail and we put it together monday night and left tuesday. As far as next year, I was on vacation and my family was in Indiana. I won't be able to get time to do another overnight. I am not going to try that as a one day.

The weather for the weekend is changing for the better...at the moment. It could also change right back to rain again, so who knows. Anyway, a sunny weekend means two things, Ironman will be up on his roof, and the 2010 hike to the Wonder Mountain Wilderness might actually happen. The gates close in October so it's this weekend or it's off until 2011.

I'm looking at either Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday. Anyone wanting to can also overnight it, there's no requirement to stay three days. I really need to use that fishing license that cost me so much money…

Sounds cool, but I'll be at the Moses Lake Cache Machine this weekend, as will a few other normally intrepid hikers. I'd like to try Dream Lake next year with you, Andrew, alciato, and other experienced route-finders in that area. Ups my chances of success and survival. :)

Edited by hydnsek

Well it's looking like another vision quest sort of hike. :anicute:

I'll be hiking in solo using the (untried) route I got last year. I'm going to try to hit the Bremerton repeater on 145.170 (PL 103.5) or Quilcene on 442.500 (PL 103.5) since they're somewhat due west of the lake- down the valley, and hopefully I'll have a clear enough path in that direction. I'll give it a try in the early evening tomorrow night. If i'm unable to make contact on the Bremerton repeater I'll try whatever is in the radio until I get the handshake.

TotemLake, Ironman, and I have set up a gmail account to receive and forward emails in case I can reach someone (willing to send an email). The account is set up to forward automatically to whoever is on the list, so the only difficulty will be getting someone on the other end of the radio to send.

On Saturday my intention is to hike the circuitous route down to Lake 3550 in the ONP to fish the lake for a while, then back to 3995 to spend the night. It looks like I'll be hiking out on Sunday in the rain.

The weather is iffy for the whole weekend, and the forecast seems to change by the minute, but this is the final weekend. I'd hoped, since Oct 1st falls on a Friday, that they'd keep the gates open for the weekend, but the person at the Quilcene Ranger Station said they'd be closing on the 1st.

I'll post up some pictures when I get back.

Edited by Criminal

Well, after getting lost disoriented on the FS roads, I found the right parking spot and headed into the forest- running terribly late. I left the Jeep at 12:30....WAY behind on the time curve. I went the wrong way up the ridge for too long and realized I'd never make it before the turn-around time. The grade was too steep to keep the rain gear on so I got soaked to the core. Sweaty hiking, shivering uncontrollably when stopped. At 3:30, with the easy third behind me and the two tough thirds to go, I headed back.

This seems to be the MO with these pathfinder hikes- figure out how to do it wrong the first time so next time you can do it right. :D

Edited by Criminal

This is really short notice. I’m planning on hiking in to Bunch Lake to try the fishing tomorrow (Monday). This is a lake in the Colonel Bob Wilderness, northeast of Lake Quinault. The lake sits just north of Elk Lake, near where Ironman has a geocache hide. We came in from the other side when we placed the caches near the ONP border. Because the lake is in the ONP, I don't think you need a fishing license.

The hike in is only about two miles one way, however, there are no trails of which I’m aware. I haven’t been able to find a trip report of anyone else heading in there either. I’m not even sure where I’ll be able to park. I intend to spend the night just down the road at the Fletcher Canyon trailhead, then head over in the morning. If it proves to be a bust, the alternate plan is to explore the Fletcher Canyon Trail, since I’ve never been up that way.

If you’re in, plan on being there at sun-up.

Bunch Lake: 47° 30.244 W 123° 41.137

Edited by Criminal

Good luck fishing. Not sure about ONP but Yellowstone now requires a $15 permit for fishing. We were there about three weeks ago. As far as i can tell you don't need a fishing permit to fish for trout in catch and release in ONP. i am sure no one is around if you release a few for the frying pan.

Edited by W7WT

Good luck fishing. Not sure about ONP but Yellowstone now requires a $15 permit for fishing. We were there about three weeks ago. As far as i can tell you don't need a fishing permit to fish for trout in catch and release in ONP. i am sure no one is around if you release a few for the frying pan.

Fishing season is until Oct 31 for most areas in ONP and does not require a license. But a catch card for salmon and steelhead is required. In the upper lakes, catch and release regulations exist for Cutthroat and Steelhead trout, and Mountain Whitefish. Fishing for Bull Trout is specifically prohibited because it is on the endangered species list. Anythng else in the high elevation lakes are fair game with a daily catch limit at 5 and no size limits. There are other details depending on the location and can be read here.