"Below the high water mark." and "riprap"

Criminal

I know what that means. I don't know why. Does anybody know why benchmarks along the water (Puget Sound) were placed below the water line? I can see how it would keep people from vandalizing them. But wouldn’t that mean the surveyor would have to wait until low tide to use them?

Also, a benchmark had this description:

“IT IS LOCATED AT THE EAST SIDE OF THE RIPRAP ALONG THE EAST SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY.”

What is a “riprap”?

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

For the placement below water line, I can only guess that it either helps prevent vandelism (as you mentioned) or possibly there's less pounding from waves when it's below water most of the time and thus more likely to maintain its position.

Riprap is large rock placed along the water to prevent erosion. The riprap along the back side of the beach where I grew up was 10 or 20 feet across, so I'm talking about very large rock. It was quarried granite. Even that gets moved around in big storms, but better that then losing the whole section of beach.

Are you back? I wasn't even baiting you! Good to have you back at my six. Would have helped a ways back when a couple "docs" tried to rile me.......

**Huddie Ledbetter**

You got some reason to be riding me?

I want to hear not just the definition but maybe some personal anecdote. I got both from RogBarn.

Where’s the beef?

icon_rolleyes.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

You got some reason to be riding me?

I want to hear not just the definition but maybe some personal anecdote. I got both from RogBarn.

Where’s the beef?

icon_rolleyes.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

http://www.iversonsoftware.com/geology/r/riprap.htm

Actually, I was glad to see the reference to iverson as I had never seen it before. It looks like a useful site for those quick term lookups that come up here. I also went thru google but only went to one site that had a ton of pictures (looonnnngg download time on dialup) of various riprap projects mostly along small streams so I didn't include it.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Are you back? I wasn't even baiting you! Good to have you back at my six. Would have helped a ways back when a couple "docs" tried to rile me.......

All things come to him who waits... (or a reasonable facsimile thereof?)

Also, I found Jeremy's post very poignant. I rather enjoy learning the real definitions to new words I didn't know... especially if I can first make a pun of it.

And to answer your queery: I may be back, but that sounds metaphysically absurd, doesn't it?

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

1.) Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!

Jeremy, glad you weren’t being flip. I wasn’t looking forward to driving up to Seattle this weekend to look for you. But how hard would it be, I have those two pics of you. (You do walk around like that all the time right?)

icon_wink.gif

Majicman:

Quote:

That’s a sexist statement and inappropriate to the thread.

Also, I found Jeremy's post very poignant. I rather enjoy learning the real definitions to new words I didn't know... especially if I can first make a pun of it.

I expect better puns and quips than that. You got rusty.

And to answer your queery: I may be back, but that sounds metaphysically absurd, doesn't it?

Absurd that you're back, or that you "got back"?

Anyway, I added the question about the def of riprap as an aside to my real question about why so many of the benchmarks around here are under the dadgum water. Nobody bothered answering that one. So see, I can be a smartass and get this thread back on topic.

Nonetheless, Thursday is supposed to be a really “low” low tide (only .2 feet) in the harbor. Jeremy or any other locals who’d like to play hooky from work can meet me under the Narrows Bridge and log some of them.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Jeremy, glad you weren’t being flip. I wasn’t looking forward to driving up to Seattle this weekend to look for you. But how hard would it be, I have those two pics of you. (You do walk around like that all the time right?)

icon_wink.gif

Majicman:

Quote:

That’s a sexist statement and inappropriate to the thread.

I expect better puns and quips than that. You got rusty.

Absurd that you're back, or that you "got back"?

Anyway, I added the question about the def of riprap as an aside to my real question about why so many of the benchmarks around here are under the dadgum water. Nobody bothered answering that one. So see, I can be a smartass and get this thread back on topic.

Nonetheless, Thursday is supposed to be a really “low” low tide (only .2 feet) in the harbor. Jeremy or any other locals who’d like to play hooky from work can meet me under the Narrows Bridge and log some of them.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

For the placement below water line, I can only guess that it either helps prevent vandelism (as you mentioned) or possibly there's less pounding from waves when it's below water most of the time and thus more likely to maintain its position.

I did reply to the problem of the benchmarks being underwater but I think it got lost in all the riprap that followed.....

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

I did reply to the problem of the benchmarks being underwater but I think it got lost in all the riprap that followed.....

icon_biggrin.gif

The only markers I have ever seen underwater were set there simply because thats where the exposed concrete was, such as in a bridge foundation, and no other solid surface was available in the area. I suppose there may be some set in this manner in order to make measurements of the water level easy, perhaps for tidal measurements. Its also true that benchmarks are often found at gaging stations along flood prone watercourses where they are used to forecast flood levels.

Rog and Survey,

Thanks for your input. Here in the Puget Sound I have to check the tide tables first or it’ll be a waste of time. First, the beach disappears or becomes impassable at higher tides. Second, the disks are below the mean high water line. This means I have to wait for a LOW low tide. The answer may be simply that the survey marks are ringing the landmasses, that may make the job of inland surveying easier. I am planning an expedition out to Anderson island in the near future to pick up the three caches and dozen benchmarks out there. But I have to factor in the tides and the ferry schedule. Somehow that makes it all the more fun. The other reason I think they put them there came to me yesterday while hunting benchmarks on the Base here. A full set of them were destroyed during some construction. Nobody’s building below the waterline.

**Huddie Ledbetter**