Mystery Benchmark?

Garminator

Today, while benchmark hunting I happen to stumble upon a trangulation disc, so I marked the point so I could access geocaching.com to find out what was the identity of the disc. Well, I get home and plug the coordinates in and I get nothing that matches. Are there discs set by NGS that are not in geocaching.com's database? BTW, There was also a bolt about one foot east of the triangulation disc. I thought that maybe I marked it wrong so I did a search using the ZIP code and still nothing. Any ideas?

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"......................Are the Soprano's on yet?

We have discussed before that not all the Benchmarks out there are in the Database. Have you tried to reference a topo map of the area to see if it is listed? Some on the maps are not in the database and vice-versa. I assuem it is a NGS mark and not a local county surveyor mark.

Well it's definitly a NGS disc as it's inscribed so. It also has the triangle you speak of. It sets on a elevated rock outcrop along a abandoned railroad bed. Someone recently painted(in white) a huge 6' "T" with the disc being in the center. FWIW, it is listed on a 1950's topo I have. I believe it's a localized high peak although not the highest on the map. The only letters legible on the disc were "T.T. 8xx 1932" (x being illegible)It is near a town called Mountaintop(One word).......M(T).(T)op icon_confused.gif

Again you Dudes come thru with some great info, THANKS!

Garminator

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"......................Are the Soprano's on yet?

If you get the Data sheets for the Topographical Map in ? from the Dept. of the Interior or the U.S.G.S.These are the data sheets for all the benchmarks used in the initial Surveys for topography.I have the data sets for my Quadrangle from the Dept. of the Interior, I had to write them though and request all the data,do not know if they still do it or not. Eastern States, Reston Va.office BLM,Western States, Denver BLM Office. Their adresses are not readily,filed somewhere now where was that, available but can be found with a couple of mouse clicks.There are so many B.M."s, Benchmarks,and TBM"s temporary benchmarks it is to monotinous to place them all on the maps,they were mainly for the contour lines on our present maps. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

When all else fails Geotry again.

T.T. 8xx 1932

This is a US Geological Survey mark. It may or may not be a Bench Mark. TT designates it as part of the "Transcontiential Traverse". So its a horizontal control mark first, if USGS ran levels over it and it does not show up in the NGS database, only USGS will have the info. Not all USGS were also used by NGS (USG&GS).

Wow! When do Dudes have time to learn all this stuff! icon_eek.gif Maybe I'm confused....Maybe?...Let me say, I am confused! I think I'm confusing the terms: NGS, U.S. Coastal and Geodetic Survey and U.S.G.S. Any help to set me straight? Think I'm gonna have to "click" the mouse a little more on this subject as I'm getting very interested.

Garminator

31.5 years as a Survey Technician for the MDOT.

USGS - U.S. Geological Survey Dept of the Interior

NGS (Formally USC&GS)National Geodetic Survey, agency of NOAA, Dept of Commerce

There are countless federal Agencies (and State)who have survey control out there.

NFS (Nat'l Forsest Service) Interior

FAA (Federal Aviation Admin) Transportation

USCE (US Army Coprs of Engineers)

USLS (US Lake Survey),

NOS (Nat't Ocean Service)

to name a few.