PN-40 question

Hey all

I've had my PN-40 for about two years now and have used it quite a bit. Aside from the following issue I have with it, I love the thing. I just came to realize after using my Garmin Oregon for a bit that the map redraws on the PN-40 seem a little excessive. When I hike around I like to leave it on the map page. The PN-40 seems to redraw the map (track log and waypoints) at least every 5 seconds. Granted it doesn't take too long to redraw, but it seems like it just redraws too frequently. :)

Thankfully, the topography on the map and the location arrow stay put when the unit redraws the map screen, but the track log and waypoints disappear for a couple seconds while it redraws.... thus making it kinda hard to follow my track or navigate to a waypoint using the map screen.

I think Garmin has a better design with their maps. I only notice my Oregon redrawing if i pan the map.

Any suggestions on either, a) how to fix this, or :P how to deal with it. I don't know if its something I'm exaggerating and other people don't have a problem with it, or if it is a known annoyance.

Thanks

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

Hey all

I've had my PN-40 for about two years now and have used it quite a bit. Aside from the following issue I have with it, I love the thing. I just came to realize after using my Garmin Oregon for a bit that the map redraws on the PN-40 seem a little excessive. When I hike around I like to leave it on the map page. The PN-40 seems to redraw the map (track log and waypoints) at least every 5 seconds. Granted it doesn't take too long to redraw, but it seems like it just redraws too frequently. :)

Thankfully, the topography on the map and the location arrow stay put when the unit redraws the map screen, but the track log and waypoints disappear for a couple seconds while it redraws.... thus making it kinda hard to follow my track or navigate to a waypoint using the map screen.

I think Garmin has a better design with their maps. I only notice my Oregon redrawing if i pan the map.

Any suggestions on either, a) how to fix this, or :P how to deal with it. I don't know if its something I'm exaggerating and other people don't have a problem with it, or if it is a known annoyance.

Thanks

How big are the map files you're draw layers are overlaid on? I tend to keep mine around 300-500 MB for performance. It's said you can go as high as 1.2GB on a cut map before performance degradation begins, but If you have 4 corners of each cut map meeting each other, you can easily exceed the 1.2GB files size being displayed.

Thanks for the feedback

I figured it out... silly me I should have known, but the map orientation was set to course up rather than north up. I didn't even think about that being a problem but apparently it causes the map to redraw much more often with these pn-40's...

Anyway, I changed it to north up and it seems to have fixed it! :)

Totem, the maps i have on the gps right now aren't that big... probably 40mb at most and they're the topo maps, no imagery or anything.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

Thanks for the feedback

I figured it out... silly me I should have known, but the map orientation was set to course up rather than north up. I didn't even think about that being a problem but apparently it causes the map to redraw much more often with these pn-40's...

Anyway, I changed it to north up and it seems to have fixed it! :)

Totem, the maps i have on the gps right now aren't that big... probably 40mb at most and they're the topo maps, no imagery or anything.

I'm always course up and I don't see the major problem you describe when using aerials or topo.