garmin hc help, please

twice now I have downloaded coordinates into my gps, and some how the coordinates got changed slightlly in the process, leading to 2 hours of wild goose chase about a quarter mile from the right area. I'm baffled, any help wold be great!.

Caches listed on the site are placed with Lat/Long coords in the WGS84 Datum and hdddmm.mmm Format. Your Garmin GPS was set to those Datum and Format units when it was shipped from the factory. Did you get this unit new, or did you get it used from someone who could have changed them?

And you don't say how you are downloading the caches. Software used to download caches can also be set to a different Datum and or Format. Can you give us an example of a cache you downloaded ( by GC######) and how those coordinates look on your GPS display.

To check/change your GPS units go to MENU / SETUP / UNITS and check Position Format and Map Datum.

twice now I have downloaded coordinates into my gps, and some how the coordinates got changed slightlly in the process, leading to 2 hours of wild goose chase about a quarter mile from the right area. I'm baffled, any help wold be great!.

Caches listed on the site are placed with Lat/Long coords in the WGS84 Datum and hdddmm.mmm Format. Your Garmin GPS was set to those Datum and Format units when it was shipped from the factory. Did you get this unit new, or did you get it used from someone who could have changed them?

And you don't say how you are downloading the caches. Software used to download caches can also be set to a different Datum and or Format. Can you give us an example of a cache you downloaded ( by GC######) and how those coordinates look on your GPS display.

To check/change your GPS units go to MENU / SETUP / UNITS and check Position Format and Map Datum.

ok , yes i bought it new, less than a week ago.

to load the coordinates i hooked my gps to my computer via the usb cable. From the geocaching website I clicked send to gps.

for example on GCY4V3 the coordinates are listed online as N 40° 18.802 W 077° 02.419. They ended up on my gps as N 40° 18.867 W 077° 02.561.

hope that is all the info you need, again I appreciate any help.

to load the coordinates i hooked my gps to my computer via the usb cable. From the geocaching website I clicked send to gps.

for example on GCY4V3 the coordinates are listed online as N 40° 18.802 W 077° 02.419. They ended up on my gps as N 40° 18.867 W 077° 02.561.

It's probably your map datum... it should be set to "WGS84".

Check that it is.

It's probably your map datum... it should be set to "WGS84".

Check that it is.

checked that it is set to wgs84

That's exactly the information I was looking for. I don't see an obvious answer yet. Still looking, and so will others. Is this Garmin HC an etrex unit? There is no actual Garmin GPS model named exactly Garmin HC (even though I don't think this has anything to do with your issue).

That's exactly the information I was looking for. I don't see an obvious answer yet. Still looking, and so will others. Is this Garmin HC an etrex unit? There is no actual Garmin GPS model named exactly Garmin HC (even though I don't think this has anything to do with your issue).

No to be accurate it is a etrex venture HC

twice now I have downloaded coordinates into my gps, and some how the coordinates got changed slightlly in the process, leading to 2 hours of wild goose chase about a quarter mile from the right area. I'm baffled, any help wold be great!

As others have suggested, my first thought was that your gps was set to a map datum other than wgs84.

Here is something you might try. Download the cache to your computer and rename it - I'd suggest using MapSource, which should have come with your gps. Then, after also sending the cache to your gps, download it from your gps into MapSource. Then, compare the plot and the coordinates for each of the two points (they should be the same).

That does describe EXACTLY which unit you have. I am still bothered that I can't come up with any kind of theory what is happening to you. I just checked your found caches. Your're still new but you have logged a few with difficulty ratings in the 2's. You must be doing something right. Did you use the etrex venture HC to find them? Did the coords match up OK? How did you get the coords into the GPS?

How did you get the coords into the GPS?

Well, here's one part of your answer.

I'm at a loss to explain this as well. Just for the heck of it, I pulled out my eTrex Venture HC and loaded that cache into it. When I click on the cache, the correct coordinates showed up.

Did you change datum any time between loading the cache and displaying the format? Sorry, that is the only thing I can think of. Try deleting all waypoints and reloading it again and check.

That does describe EXACTLY which unit you have. I am still bothered that I can't come up with any kind of theory what is happening to you. I just checked your found caches. Your're still new but you have logged a few with difficulty ratings in the 2's. You must be doing something right. Did you use the etrex venture HC to find them? Did the coords match up OK? How did you get the coords into the GPS?

the ones i have found, I did so after realizing I was getting the wrong coordinates in my gps. I then entered the coordinates manually. and everything worked fine. I have loaded a few more this morning with varied results.